Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I have a bare bones 136 WB with the low roof.
I want to add at least one 12vt power port to the back somewhere to run a fan and or small heater for when Im napping or making out with Mary Jane Rottencrotch.
Any suggestions on where I can draw power from thats active when the key is OUT??
I was wanting to use the USB on the dash, but.. there's no power to it when the key is out (even though the quick start guide and marking on the ports cover says that it's battery powered at all times, Unfourtunatly, mine is NOT)
Anyways.. Ideally, I could add power port to just behind the passenger seat (forward of the sliding door)
Or in the rear near the tail lights.
I just need to find power even with the key off.
Thanks for reading.
All replies are welcomed and encouraged!
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
If your ignition is turned off, a heater will drain your battery rather quickly. Then what do you do if you can't start your vehicle?

So the cheapest easiest thing to do is to use the dash heater and/or fan with the ignition on and nap/noodle in the front seats.

Really the only way to have 12 volt power that doesn't rapidly kill your ignition battery is to put ina second battery for "house power". Just for grins, you could get something like an Arkpak https://www.arkportablepower.com/arkpak That will give you 12v plugins, usb, and regular 110v.

Put a battery in it that can be charged from your alternator when you are driving, or from your house via AC, or from a solar panel.

Then you could nap and noodle till the cows come home, depending on the capacity of the battery you put in this battery box.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My PM has the extra rear 12 volt outlet option. It is installed in the plastic panel just inside the passenger side rear door (straight in from the tail light). I'm not sure if the wiring is still there if yours doesn't have that option, but its worth checking.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.. ill use it sparingly. .
So you say.. passenger rear door frame? Just under the tailight? Any way that you can follow the wire and see where it ties in??
Thanks..

·
Registered
258 Posts
This wire is most likely limited to 15 or perhaps 10 amps of current. A heater and or fan may draw a little more then that.. easier to wire something off the battery, that way you can step up the wire gauge and fuse it appropriately.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey.. I like the idea of the extension cord. That would be simple and cheap.
But.. my power port on the dash only works with the key in and on.
Ideally, id like to lock myself in..draw the curtians and relax. No key hanging in the ignition for some punks to think twice about if and when im passed out.
Thanks for the ideas..keep em coming.
Lets say that I wired direct to the battery.... I wouldn't want the wires running out of the battery hatch door.
My 2012 Ford Transit conect had power to the rear door locks easily accessible. And I tapped in there for my trailer lights module.
Im wondering if this PM does too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Floor covering lifts up to fish wiring through to the back.. with a little effort all wiring can be easily hidden.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
My PM has the rear 12 volt outlet option as well. This doesn't change the problem of draining the primary battery if you use it.
Battery usage aside, the optional rear passenger 12v lighter jack is key-on only.:(

I just looked at the "upfitter connectors option ($35)" that I have in my van. I has a very large, always on, 12V set of wires (hot and ground). They look like #8 wire to me - large amperage source of power. :)

The connectors are located under the plastic cover at the base of the column behind the passenger door. The 12V connector is a very large plastic plug/jack. Would be interested in where to get the mating plug. Otherwise crimp-on flat blade connectors would probably work well. Easy to run a (fused) wire from there to the side or back of the van.

Those 12V wires may also be there, without the other connectors, in all Promasters. Would be interested in finding out what it's fused at.

Ed

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Did you have to unscrew anything to get to the upfitters connector option?
Two screws in passenger door opening, two screws in slider door opening, and one more screwed into the step below passenger seat. All Phillips head. Black plastic cover has two clips at the top where it meets grey trim. They just pop off. 5 minutes. tops!

Ed

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Connectors should be available at www.digikey.com
Sounds good ...Just found info at

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/iph2014/ph2014/phvan/phdocs/vf/pheuppowerconn.pdf
It's a 50A 12V feed !!!!!!

I took pictures but haven't set up a place to post them yet!

There's actually two wires for lock/unlock, but not much info on how to use 'em, except this table that says the electrical contact has to be 400ms plus or minus 10ms to work.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/iph2014/ph2014/phvan/phdocs/vf/pheupfconn.pdf

Ed

·
Registered
258 Posts
Locks are probably ground activated. You can always try to activate them with a fused jumper straight to chassis ground.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
It's pretty easy to wire the dash plug to be on all the time just cut the existing wire and fish a new one down to the battery and add a fuse. Extremely simple! You can also wire the USB receptical in to the same new circuit as the lighter! I posted a detailed write up on how to do it about two months ago a search of back posts should bring it right up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Battery usage aside, the optional rear passenger 12v lighter jack is key-on only.:(

I just looked at the "upfitter connectors option ($35)" that I have in my van. I has a very large, always on, 12V set of wires (hot and ground). They look like #8 wire to me - large amperage source of power. :)

The connectors are located under the plastic cover at the base of the column behind the passenger door. The 12V connector is a very large plastic plug/jack. Would be interested in where to get the mating plug. Otherwise crimp-on flat blade connectors would probably work well. Easy to run a (fused) wire from there to the side or back of the van.

Those 12V wires may also be there, without the other connectors, in all Promasters. Would be interested in finding out what it's fused at.

Ed
Ok good deal.. I
Took off that cover at the bottom of the B pillar passenger side... and un-plugged the vacant red/black connector.
Then crimped on spade connectors. . Fused a 12 volt power port.
Drilled a 7/8 hole in the plastic cover and mounted the power port being secured from the rear.
Hooked up the 2 wires. .Bam .! It works..
Put the cover back on..
Now I got a power port at the bottom the B pillar that works with the key off!

Thanks for all the rwplies

·
Registered
7 Posts
From the same fuse panel on the passenger pillar (behind passenger seat), is there a simple way to install a 12v outlet that does work with the ignition only? I don't have power seats or heated rear windows so the panel is just blank (no fuses at all). I'm new to DC systems so please be descriptive in any responses. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
From the same fuse panel on the passenger pillar (behind passenger seat), is there a simple way to install a 12v outlet that does work with the ignition only? I don't have power seats or heated rear windows so the panel is just blank (no fuses at all). I'm new to DC systems so please be descriptive in any responses. Thanks.
You can get power from the dash 12V outlet and feed it to the B pillar. Not a long run, and it would be "key on".

Here's my thread on tapping the power outlet in the dash, then feed the wire under the flooring and passenger seat to the passenger B pillar.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35482

This would not be a high power 12V outlet. I think there's a 10A fuse protecting it. That's good for lots of stuff, just not a heater. You might add a dual USB port at the same location while you're running wires, for phone charging, etc. I also put an AC outlet there, fed from the shore power connector.

On mine, the 12V power comes from the aux batteries, but you could change that later if you decide to add an aux battery!

Ed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts