Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A major disadvantage of single hose air conditioners is when weather condition is humid.

When connected to the grid for power (if owner isn’t too concerned about other issues beyond cooling van) it is easy enough to upsize a single hose unit to get equivalent cooling of a two hose A/C. However, since exhaust air is taken from inside van, which has to be replaced by sucking outside “humid” air into van through all kinds of leaks, the inside of van may never reach the same level of comfort because relative humidity could remain too high even if unit is oversized. That would be one of my main concerns since I regularly travel along Gulf Coast.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A guy on YouTube (in German, apologies) is using the condensate to cool the air before entering the A/C:
I don't know how effective this is, but the intake air is certainly cooled down.
Window air conditioners do the same thing by splashing water (condensate) onto condenser to get evaporative cooling at condenser heat exchanger. This reduces head pressure and lowers power requirements. It has limits though. In real dry climate there is very little or no condensate produced, and in real humid climate evaporative cooling doesn’t work well — though it helps on warm condenser temperatures that far exceed ambient temperature. In the middle (typical afternoon A/C peak use) relative humidity is low enough to work great much of the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts