Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing to express my new respect for the capabilities of the Promaster. I recently found myself going 55 on a two lane paved road and had to make a sudden harsh right jog, the van pitched severely, should have gone over, instead stayed steady long enough for me to make an adjustment into the slide. I just couldn't believe I drove away unscathed. I thank my lucky stars I was in my Promaster, I'm not sure my car could have coped with that move. One more reason I would recommend one to my friends. I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience. :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
This happened to me yesterday! Traffic stopped Infront of me and I may or may not have been paying the best of attention, did a go kart type swerve and all was good. I was at max load, and was amazed how it handled. Another reason to love my little PM.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have been surprised by the lack of posts about ProMaster WINTER handling.

Was a very early adopter of FWD going with SAAB 96 after 2 Sunbeam Alpines, in the age of massive, lumbering, RWD domestic land yachts.

Wanted to import ProMaster's great grand daddy, Citroen C35/Fiat 242 back in late 70's.

FWD is the main reason I've followed ProMaster.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had a couple similar experiences in the 15,000 miles I've put on the PM. It seems to handle evasive maneuvers extremely well. Hard braking and steering are way better than my 2010 Sprinter. To be fair though, the Sprinter has 100,000 more miles on it and is about 2000# heavier.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Haven't had to do extreme handling , but I've noticed the windshield pillars make a significant blind spot and need to look around them , and not be in a hurry.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Boy, me too, those A pillars are huge blind spots, for sure. I'm looking three times each way minimum around them when crossing traffic or turning.

Aside from the visibility, we've been reasonably pleased so far on the winter handling, though we haven't tested in what I consider deep snow and ice. I have read the owners manual about shutting off the ESC, but have not had the need or opportunity to try that yet.

As to handling, I'm very pleased in our first year, though I drive much more carefully now that I did in my youth, partly because of the van's size, and partly because of my lost youth and daring. We do get ours off pavement frequently. Definitely have to watch those soft shoulders to not get sucked in. 136WB High top gas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Haven't had to do extreme handling , but I've noticed the windshield pillars make a significant blind spot and need to look around them , and not be in a hurry.
That is an issue. Not sure if its true, but someone on here said the seat height on the U.S. version is slightly higher. The A pillar blind spot becomes progressively worse with driver's height. I'm 6'3" and I've found that its slightly better if I lower my seat, but the higher seat position is more comfortable. I leave the seat high and crane my neck around both sides of the A pillar several times before proceeding. Also the side mirrors don't have enough adjustment for tall people. Mine are adjusted as high as they will pivot, and I still have to duck my head to get a good look.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Boy, me too, those A pillars are huge blind spots, for sure. I'm looking three times each way minimum around them when crossing traffic or turning.

As to handling, I'm very pleased in our first year, though I drive much more carefully now that I did in my youth, partly because of the van's size, and partly because of my lost youth and daring. We do get ours off pavement frequently. Definitely have to watch those soft shoulders to not get sucked in. 136WB High top gas.
In the north, secondary highways are notorious for soft shoulders. However, the PM is great for 3 point Hwy turnarounds without using much of the shoulder. Much better than the pickup truck

·
Registered
108 Posts
In the north, secondary highways are notorious for soft shoulders. However, the PM is great for 3 point Hwy turnarounds without using much of the shoulder. Much better than the pickup truck
I am still routinely amazed and impressed with the PM's tight turning circle, when I need it. 136WB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts