Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few minutes perusing the bottom of the radiator and did not spot a drain plug. It was interesting that the transmission appears to have it's own heat exchanger rather than using a coil inside the radiator. Something probably has to be removed to see the drain plug but it would save effort if someone has already done this and could give me a few clues.

My coolant needs to be partially drained so that I can insert T's in the heater hoses for my rear heater (HWH).
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I got no suggestions for draining coolant I put it on the back burner while completing my rear monitor system, insulating cab, replacing headliner and storage tray, and adding cab reading led lights. Yesterday I took the van to the local dealer for a complementary oil change at 400 miles. I asked Jimmy (the very helpful mechanic at Egolf Ram Chrysler in Brevard, NC) about the coolant drain and he said he had not personally done the job as yet. We looked in his on-line manual and it said there was no drain **** for coolant and that the lower radiator hose should be disconnected. Not what I was hoping for but at least I know the situation. No coolant drain and no trans dip stick - what are they going to leave out next?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday I drained the coolant and it was quite an easy job. I removed the black plastic panel that partly covers the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. Now visible was a 2" radiator hose dropping down to an easily accessed location where a 1" hose is teed into the 2". I ended up cutting the 1" hose after having problems removing the stainless band clamp. After removing about 1.5 gal of coolant into a bucket I slid the 1" hose onto the tee and secured with a stainless worm gear type. I would prefer a sheathed design clamp but I wrapped a strip of apx .060" hard rubber under the clamp to protect the hose. I considered a draincock but figured the removable clamp would suffice. The pic shows what I did pretty clearly with cover panel removed.

Has anyone purchased the specified MS90032 10 yr, 150K mile coolant? A Google search didn't turn up much. I'll need an extra gallon or so to fill the lines to my Isotherm HWH and also a separate heat exchanger for rear heat both while driving and circulation from the 11gal HWH when camped. In the RV industry it is often called 'motor aid'.

Attachments

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
The OAT (Organic Additive Technology) coolant was adopted by Chrysler so other cars must use it. A good auto parts store should have it. Or: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-MOPAR-68163849AA-ANTIFREEZ/dp/B00CMTM9QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458339971&sr=8-1&keywords=OAT+coolant[/ame]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I better go ahead and get it at the dealer. Can't seem to find the correct spec in Amazon or on-line for that matter. The link supplied by RDinNHandAZ comes up as MOPAR 68163849AA and Amazon says it is not correct for the 2015 Promaster. Also checked Autozone, Advance Auto and Napa and they appear to have nothing matching the spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
The OAT (Organic Additive Technology) coolant was adopted by Chrysler so other cars must use it. A good auto parts store should have it. Or: http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-MOPAR-68...ds=OAT+coolant
I bought a gallon at the dealer for $25.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Sorry if that wasn't correct but Amazon often does not have the vehicle specific adaptability correct and in the questions it was asked if it was OAT or HOAT and a responder who had bought it said it was OAT. The Amazon product that does come up as "fitting" the PM was a fluid thats NOT correct. Just shows Ya! The Chrysler spec is MS-12106 and NONE of the listing reference that spec. In fact a google search finds none either. I'd revise my suggestion to "go to the dealer" until we can find a supplier.

Prestone says:
In addition, Prestone® Cor-Guard™ Antifreeze/Coolant will meet or exceed the ASTM D 1384, D 4340, D 2570, D 2809, property characteristics and performance requirements of the following OEM/OE specifications:

Ford WSS M97B55-A
Ford ESE-M97B44-B
Ford WSS M97B44-D
GM 6722M
GMW 3420
Chrysler MS- 7170, MS-9769
Chrysler MS-12106
European and Asian Specifications

DEX COOL says it is MS-12106 compliant- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prestone-128-fl-oz-DEX-COOL-50-50-Antifreeze-AF850/206382376

On further review....... I now believe the 68163848AA coolant DOES meet the MS-1206 and it comes right from Chrysler:
http://www.moparinternational.com/assets/maintenance/english/pdf/Cross_Reference_Guide_19Dec2014.pdf
9th and 10th rows down. I was right after all, how often does that happen???? LOL
Don't Ya just Luv googlie?
Best Luck!

Reactions: wbullivant

·
Registered
260 Posts
I spent a few minutes perusing the bottom of the radiator and did not spot a drain plug. It was interesting that the transmission appears to have it's own heat exchanger rather than using a coil inside the radiator. Something probably has to be removed to see the drain plug but it would save effort if someone has already done this and could give me a few clues.

My coolant needs to be partially drained so that I can insert T's in the heater hoses for my rear heater (HWH).
Thanks, Bill
I want to install an Isotherm HWH as well. Have you decided where you are going to connect the coolant hoses? Are you going to run the hoses under the vehicle? Are you going install any shut off valves to regulate the flow or isolate the system in case of leaks or maintenance.

I'm waiting until the dealer corrects my leaking radiator / cooling system before I make the connection because I don't want to be blamed for causing the current slow coolant leak I have. Plus I'm not sure where to connect them anyway.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Tom

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to install an Isotherm HWH as well. Have you decided where you are going to connect the coolant hoses? Are you going to run the hoses under the vehicle? Are you going install any shut off valves to regulate the flow or isolate the system in case of leaks or maintenance.

I'm waiting until the dealer corrects my leaking radiator / cooling system before I make the connection because I don't want to be blamed for causing the current slow coolant leak I have. Plus I'm not sure where to connect them anyway.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Tom
Tom
I'm in process on the hose connections right now and will give details on a previous thread entitled 'How to use rear heater option for a HWH?'. Basically I'll attach hoses at heater connections with a ball valve in each line. Lines will follow the firewall down and back on driver side then up through the floor. They will be embedded in my floor system till they get to the HWH near the rear wheel. Bill

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RDinNHandAZ
My manual say MS-90032. What tells us that MS-12106 is the same thing? It certainly does have the OAT chemistry and the 10yr, 150k designation. A google search shows a lot of frustrated people asking the same question.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
From the Electronic version of the manual for 2015:

Coolant Checks
"Check the engine coolant (antifreeze) protection every 12 months (before the onset of freezing weather, where applicable). If the engine coolant (antifreeze) is dirty, the system should be drained, flushed, and refilled with fresh OAT coolant (conforming to MS-12106) only by an authorized dealer. "

But later in that section I found the one you quote:

"If the engine coolant (antifreeze) is dirty or contains visible sediment, have an authorized dealer clean and flush with OAT coolant (antifreeze) (conforming to MS.90032)."

[email protected] it is confusing. Is there anyone who has gone to the dealer and has a bottle with the numbers on it and are confident its the right product? To make this worse in 2013 when the new OAT coolant was introduced it was(is?) orange and the refill product was(is?) purple! AAGGGHH!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I purchased a gallon of the pre diluted coolant from my Promaster dealer. The part number is 68163849AA 10 year / 150,00 Mile. I think it was $25 or so.

It says it meets ASTM D-3306 Type 3. It also says EMBITTERED MS-12106 ??

It's purple like the original coolant in my 2014 Promaster.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have a jug in front of me. MOPAR ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT 50/50 Premixed embittered MS-12106
part number 68175339AA.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I have a jug in front of me. MOPAR ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT 50/50 Premixed embittered MS-12106
part number 68175339AA.
Is this purple too? If it is I give up.
BTW you all know the embittered only means it tastes bad to dogs, kids, cats, and birds thus saving their lives.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just purchased a gallon of the 50/50 premix from the local Ram Dealer for $19.45, which appears to be cheaper than the internet price. When I mentioned that to the counter guy he said that they want to make a living but not rob people (Egolf Motors in Brevard, NC). It has ms 12106 and part # 68163849AB on the bottle . The only possible problem is that it seems to be a deep pink rather than purple (probably because of the AB suffix). The dealer says this is the only version they carry so I guess I'll go ahead and use it. RD/AZ is correct about the owner's manual including two ms numbers -12106 & 90032. Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts