Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the van... But I dislike the sudden acceleration when you first start out. Anyone else finding this? Any solutions. Other than applying pressure slowly and carefully...Thanks for any input..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, it kinda can catch you off guard at times, I just try to be light with it, but yeah, it can send stuff to the back in a hurry if you forget.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Lots of cars are programmed like that because it makes them "feel faster". The first bit of accelerator travel does a lot, and then as the pedal goes down, the actual throttle is already open well before it reaches the floor.

In addition, you have a transmission with something like a 4.2:1 first-gear reduction ratio and a torque converter that is multiplying torque right off the start (which is what they do).

The diesel one probably won't be so lurchy, because there is no torque converter.

Ease gently into it, is all you can do.

If the manufacturers softened the initial throttle response, then people would complain that it's sluggish ...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with Dwight. Mine was a little jumpy when it had nothing in it. Even then, I didn't think it was unreasonable. Now that it always has a ton or more of cargo, it's just right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acceleration lunge is a real pain.

It defeats the advantage of FWD if the wheels are spinning out on snow or ice. Several different people drive my delivery truck and everyone says it's a pain because if you haven't driven it in a few days you have to adjust your normal touch on the pedal. Too touchy!! Same with the grabby, squeaky brakes. The position of the pedals is awful for big guys with big feet (that's most guys who drive this truck, right?). The driver is either racing off the line or screaming to a halt. Dodge should come up with an adjustment to BOTH PEDALS!

Love the van... But I dislike the sudden acceleration when you first start out. Anyone else finding this? Any solutions. Other than applying pressure slowly and carefully...Thanks for any input..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts