Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my 2018 with 19k miles on it just stopped blowing cold air. It happened after being parked for awhile, was a hot day. Van started right up normal but the air just hasnt blown cold since.

I swapped a few of the relays around in the engine compartment, all except the black one that I think is the cooling fan relay. Cant seem to find the corresponding part online there are several numbers stamped on it and not sure which is the part number.

Anyways, anyone have any ideas? It only has 19k miles!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,177 Posts
I haven't tried it, but you may be able to see if the a/c compressor clutch is engaging.

I assume the belt is still there.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
735 Posts
I haven't tried it, but you may be able to see if the a/c compressor clutch is engaging.

This is for sure the first and easiest process of elimination ( clutch engaging )

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Ambient temp sensor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I went under and tested out the clutch. Its showing a little over 5 ohms (5.5) and when hitting it with 12v I can hear the click. Unfortunatley I cant actually see it at the same time im sending it 12v but assume its the clutch engaging with each click sound.

I went to Crown Dodge over here in Oxnard to find the right relay to swap out. They ordered the wrong one so Im headed back today to see if this time they ordered the right one.

Gotta say, even the parts dept at the dealer doesnt have the correct diagram for the fuse box. All they can see is the fuse box with no cooresponding part numbers where each relay is located. etc.
I even brought them the part I needed for reference and still they ordered the wrong one. Thats not a good sign. Wtf.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That clutch mechanism is pretty smart design that depends on the coil getting metal pulled in around it so the coil wire stops looking like a direct short, so once fully engaged that makes current flow just holding current -- plus that small current will let it kick out if compressor chatters or tries to seize and if it can't land back full on the fuse opens.

If you have not opened up the 7amp fuse the problem is somewhere else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts