Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We stumbled across a used Promaster the other day that looks really nice. We were about to order a new 2015, but checked out a very nice looking used one with most of the options we want, and were totally surprised to find the AC Delete option.

In other words, No AC.

First one we've seen in our search for a van close to our option requirements, in all we've seen, with the AC deleted.

Anyone have any information if it can be added back, and what it may cost to do so?

Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's bizarre something sounds fishy here. I have never heard of a vehicle sold in the United States that did not have a/c as standard equipment unless it's a Yugo! Remember those?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not bizarre at all. Some fleet buyers would order them as a delete to avoid repairs and/or employees sitting around being non productive. Coca Cola has trucks in the Phoenix area with no a/c. In fact, none of the side roll up door trucks have a/c.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've also heard of it being an issue with union contracts. The contract language reads something to the effect of that if one vehicle in a fleet has AC, they all must have it. Also, if a vehicle has AC and it doesn't work, the driver can report his vehicle as having a breakdown and refuse to drive it.

So, to avoid replacing the entire fleet at once and/or other hassles, fleet buyers specify no AC in replacement vehicles.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Well living up here in the great white north AC helps in the winter to defog the windows. Strange but true. I would never buy a vehicle without it, especially a work van for my guys. Todd

·
Registered
338 Posts
I guess it depends on where company/employees are located. Down here in Texas a/c is a must it becomes a safety issue with the high heat/humidity. I would never put an employee in a non air conditioned vehicle. Not having it I would think would contribute to less work/productivity because of the heat related stress.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Are we certain it has no AC? On mine, the center dial (the temp one) simply pushes in and that's AC on. As indicated by a green light in the middle of the knob. Maybe you have it and just don't know it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Air Conditioning Delete" would show as a line item on the window sticker, as well as a $185 credit for spec'ing that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately, yes we're certain. It's not there. And it's still the only Promaster I can find without AC. lol

I am trying to find out what the options are at this point, practically speaking. I can't help but be curious what OEM AC items may still be "in" the van with only a $185 savings for the deletion, and what it would take to put OEM AC back in? I can't "see" the van, it's too far from us, but have asked the dealer that has it this question.

In leiu of that, then aftermarket AC suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
I once installed AC on a Mazda 3 I owned. I just went to the dealer's part man and bought a "kit" and put the parts in. It took everything, compressor, condenser, evaporator, connection to the heater controls and piping. It was not that bad a job to do and I was surprised that it all fit, had openings premade, holes for fasteners etc, just like OEM. At the time it seemed a bit spendy but we used the car for the great 'round the US family trip and it was summer! I did get a discount, paid cash, and never regretted it. See if Ram offers such a "kit" and go for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have now found two Promasters that had the AC DELETE option. So, I'm bumping this back up to see if anyone has any new info since our first request about what it may take to put AC back into the factory "deleted" AC? We're really not liking the cost options on an Aftermarket RV unit, too pricey, and we really don't want one on top of the van.

We're still hoping, but unable to confirm, that all that may have been deleted for the $185 savings, was the compressor and condenser, and dash switch, and that all the rest of the plumbing could still be under there?

Any info or help on options would be appreciated.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In my opinion, move on and buy a different vehicle.

Even if you had to buy NO parts at all to implement A/C, the labour and refrigerant alone just to recharge the system will cost more than that. If you have to buy any one of the major components, it will cost more than that. If you have to rip the dash apart to install the evaporator (and the switch), it will cost more than that. It quickly adds up to thousands.

I've never seen one without A/C and didn't even know they could be ordered that way. You could take a look under the hood of one with and one without, and see what's there. But I highly doubt that they would install the condenser, evaporator and the compressor if they weren't going to be connected to anything, and those are expensive parts.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,828 Posts
I strongly advise that you look elsewhere because OEM parts are probably not going to be available. In general, it seems that as the PM is so new, the factory is having a hard enough time making parts for the PMs they're putting together and are not yet flush enough for many spare parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are aware of the cost options of RV units, and if the van(s) weren't so darned perfectly equipped for a good price, we wouldn't be wasting the time asking. You're right, the math isn't good.

It's ironic that the savings on the used van is almost completely offset by $6-8K for aftermarket RV AC.

And our first report that came while I was typing this, are that the plumbing and electrical aren't there. So it's not as easy as putting the condenser and compressor in and charging the system.

Why Ram only deletes $185 for removing $4.5K (price for parts to the public) worth of parts to put it back, one can only wonder. Who the maroons were that chose to delete the air, and essentially kill the resale value, one can only wonder as well.

But yes, it looks like moving on and ordering the new one may be the way to go, albeit losing the 35%+ savings on an otherwise sweetheart of a used van. (or two now...lol)

While typing this, got some new info from an AM AC speciality mfg. We are now contacting two aftermarket AC mfgs. to see if they have any products that may be applicable.

Thanks folks, for these, and any other replies. If we find anything that may be useful to others, we'll post it, in case there are more than two Promasters out there without factory AC.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Why Ram only deletes $185 for removing $4.5K (price for parts to the public) worth of parts to put it back, one can only wonder.
Because they don't want you to select that option. I didn't even know you could. The delete option is only there for the situations that some other people described earlier, so that the van doesn't get ruled out because "we're not allowed to have A/C".

It's also less expensive for the manufacturer to make 'em all the same and put A/C in all of them. It cost something to develop that HVAC unit which doesn't have the A/C button, and it cost something to do something different with the serpentine drive to delete the A/C compressor. Given the tiny volume of A/C-delete vehicles, those small number of vehicles have to absorb the cost of those special A/C-delete parts!

Same reason why you hardly ever see hand-crank windows any more. Or non-power door locks. It's cheaper to only engineer one version that has power windows and locks.

Who the maroons were that chose to delete the air, and essentially kill the resale value, one can only wonder as well.
Yep. A/C delete in this day and age is not a smart thing to do.

Perhaps someone in Alaska, the Yukon, or Nunavut will buy them ...

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
There is no shortage of Promasters out there and you can deal on them. Move on! Even if you have to spend $300 to fly across the country to find the one you like at a good price for it. I wouldn't order one unless you are prepared to wait for months and probably pay more than you could buy one off the dealers lot

·
Registered
967 Posts
I might consider taking the opportunity to beat the crap out of the seller; "no ac? Ill give you $12,000 for it!" All he can do is say no.

If you are handy you might look at Vintage AC. They do kits for musclecars. Not gonna be pretty, but it could be done.

The rv roof ac is clearly the best option. But theres another option. Battery bank, big inverter, roll around floor ac that vents to a dryer hose. Thats about $200 for a good one at wally mart.

As a man who has survived most of his adulthood without working ac (till the pm) i can say it can suck but its not that bad. Nobody had ac till the 80s, and we survived. The pm has a blasty fan which will do most of the work. If the deal is good enough , i wouldnt hesitate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts