Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 suddenly stopped blowing cold when I was in the California desert area last week in 100 degree heat.
Dodge (Ram) dealer had no interest in looking at it (they said it was too tall for their shop) so luckily(?) I found a place that first checked fuse and then evacuated and found it only 3 ounces low of refrigerant.
It was diagnosed as coil failure on compressor (even my limited knowledge I could tell compressor wasn’t engaging). They called the friendly dodge dealer down the street and ordered new compressor. Parts guy at dealer said that their own parts van crapped out at 20k with same cause.
Has anyone experienced this at such low miles? I hope to plead my case with Chrysler Canada when I get home and hope for some goodwill (lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I noticed my ac compressor was shot (blowing the clutch fuse) at 9k miles it could have been sooner as it was winter and cold out but I had a trip to Florida and found out the ac wasn't working

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have 115k miles on my 2014 and the AC works fine. Good thing too ‘cause I’m working in Florida right now. Just to clarify a bit, are they replacing the whole compressor unit or just the coil? The coil is a piece of cake, the compressor is a PIA. No need to replace the compressor if it’s just a bad coil.

Also, the last Chrysler I had went 365k miles and we never had a problem with the AC units. It actually had 2, one for the front and one for the back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
They replaced my entire compressor on my diesel its right on the bottom looks easy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Crazy coincidence! I dropped my van off last night because the A/C stopped blowing anything colder than cabin temp and read this post this morning. When my rep called I already knew the words. Compressor being overnighted from PDX on warranty. Hope they can get it in before I head south to Hurricane!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My AC just stopped working. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and the air started blowing cold once again. But every so often I heard a squeal like if someone has worn brake pads, but the squeal came from my compressor and shortly after the squeal the fuse blew again. I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. I am at 45K miles with a diesel engine

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well the dealer told me the compressor needs to be replaced. They have to order one up and it is on back order. Said it could be a month or more before they get one in stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the dealer told me the compressor needs to be replaced. They have to order one up and it is on back order. Said it could be a month or more before they get one in stock.

What did they quote you for replacing it?

·
Registered
649 Posts
This evening I killed F19 intentionally ... melted a fresh one ... With help from my DW I got to watch compressor start spinning, turn faithfully at idle for 30 seconds until RPMs randomly started sagging, then clutch emitted a petite screech and ceased all effort.

At least I saw the condenser fan run normally so those circuits are okay, low speed fan is on the drivers side just for trivia.

9-14 build date, 34 months in service at 37000 miles when I noticed no A/C at beginning of 3000 mile road trip, had a lovely time doing many days of heat-wave afternoon rush hour traffic in the DC suburbs.

Looks like a visit to my RAM dealer... and the extended warranty likely will pay for itself on this single visit.

Interesting the A/C compressor part number has not been superceded, still 68155464AA ($680) as labeled on my 2014 production unit.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
What did they quote you for replacing it?

I have the extended warranty with the $100 deductible. I have the receipt in the van, but it did show some pricing, and I was shocked at the costs. I'll get it scanned in tonight to show what it would of cost me.

While I had it there to have the compressor replaced, I asked them to check the charging system due to my battery doctor is not switching on to charge the second battery, plus I noticed the engine has a hard time cranking in the mornings. They came back and told me the van battery was severely discharged, and wanted over $500 for a new battery, and $200 to install it. I went to Pep Boys and got the Bosch AGM battery for $220 with free installation after they finished my AC. Thing is I am still reading a low voltage coming from the van battery even with the truck running 12.9 volts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My AC for 2017 promaster 2500 also suddenly stopped functionning. Only blowing regular air.not cold. I went to a mechanic. He said compressor is good. And all fuses are good. He told me to come back on tuesday to check on some relays. Have this ever happened to anybody here? Did he check on wrong fuse?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the extended warranty with the $100 deductible. I have the receipt in the van, but it did show some pricing, and I was shocked at the costs. I'll get it scanned in tonight to show what it would of cost me.

While I had it there to have the compressor replaced, I asked them to check the charging system due to my battery doctor is not switching on to charge the second battery, plus I noticed the engine has a hard time cranking in the mornings. They came back and told me the van battery was severely discharged, and wanted over $500 for a new battery, and $200 to install it. I went to Pep Boys and got the Bosch AGM battery for $220 with free installation after they finished my AC. Thing is I am still reading a low voltage coming from the van battery even with the truck running 12.9 volts.
This could mean your alternator isn't putting out correctly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This could mean your alternator isn't putting out correctly.
Turns out it was not the ground strap, it was the point it attached to one the engine. He said the bracket was all rusted out. Once he replaced the bracket all went back to normal. They way the mechanic determined this was to run a jumper from the chassis to the engine and as soon as he did that he started reading 14 V at the battery. The issue about the ground strap service bulletin is it only comes up for the gassers with the automatic transmission. He read that bulletin and that is how he discovered the mounting bracket was rusted out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts