Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing some installations of room air conditioners into PMs, I got to wondering why nobody is using a ductless mini split.

I have one o these in my cabin in the woods and it is wonderful. Compared to the room AC it replaced, it had these virtues: nearly silent (this matters a lot!), able to heat as well, able to de-humidify, very high efficiency uses little electricity. I am always pleasantly surprised to get the electric bills for my cabin.

Here's some more info. http://learn.compactappliance.com/best-ductless-air-conditioners/

Example: https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453067103

Downsides? I could see that it would take some ingenuity to figure out how to mount the thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Couple of things to consider. Smallest stand alone system is 9000 btu's. Mounting the indoor evaporator requires approximately 3.5" of clearance above the top of the unit, and can be more based on the side clearances. The outdoor condenser can be mounted with very little clearance behind the unit and would function well on a hitch mount. Most units are 208-230 volts but you can purchase 110 units as well. Relatively low starting amp draw, as most now use inverter driven compressors and fan motors started on the lowest rpm. You will have to deal with a condensate line and two insulated copper lines and 4 conductor line from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit.

I have seen many of the new "park model" RV's going down the road with one mounted on the Rear Bumper. I think with the cost of the unit and a generator to power one, this would be a high price to pay for the quiet. I have installed a lot of these in residential and commercial settings. They work great and most times you can't get close to their efficiency with a standard split system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jetmelt
Not quite sure what you mean by de-couple. If you are meaning separate the indoor and outdoor units, then the answer is no. Once the unit is installed, you have to evacuate all the refrigerant that is in the system to separate the units. You can move the outdoor unit some depending on how much Lineset you have, but you can't unhook the lineset that connects the units with out compromising the refrigerant in the system.

Hopefully I answered your question

1 - 6 of 6 Posts