Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about AC and DC wire separation online but keep finding mostly debates on what if anything is needed.

I'm mostly DC but will have an inverter and shore power line along with a couple AC plugs and an air conditioner circuit. At a couple places in the van it might be necessary for an AC and a DC wiring to share the same routing for a very short distance before they go their separate ways. What do I need to do, if anything, in these instances?

·
Super Moderator
10,500 Posts
Just as long as you can tell them apart you don't have to do anything. One excellent way is to use 14/3 or 12/3 extention cord wire for your 110VAC. It's always stranded and comes with a good quality cover on it. Obviously you don't use the plug and receptical ends, just cut them off. Don't use Romex it's the worst for mobile applications even if it is the cheapest. For most 12VDC circuits you only need to run the proper size + wire from the fixture/receptical to the fuse/breaker box and ground the - wire to the chassis or a common ground buss you mount on the body. I used the tie down bolts on the floor for my grounds.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Certain radio or network signals may cause interference with other wires that are run parallel, but in our vans, the AC and DC wires can be run next to each other as long as each is insulated properly (which you would do anyway!) :D

Maybe if you were running speaker wires or audio wires right next to AC wires, you might get a little noise/hum, but it probably isn't going to happen.

If you run a cell repeater, you probably shouldn't run the antenna wires right next to an AC wire.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool thanks for the info. If I can get past the electrical part it's all downhill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts