Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2018 Promaster 2500 new the end of March 2018.

At 750 miles my dashboard lights up stating that I need "Service ABS, Service ESC, Service Hill Hold Assist". Needless to say I'm not enthused. I bring the van in, they replace the passenger side Hub Assembly and Wheel Speed Sensor. This all happens during a snow storm and I'm out the use of my new van for approximately a week.

This week, I'm at approx 6200 miles at the dashboard lights up again. I get on the phone with my dealership here in Colorado today July 19th. I'm told that the earliest they can fit the van in to examine it is August 2nd. Nothing can be done before. So now I'm expected to drive my van for 2 weeks before they can see what's happening....order parts and probably be out another week again. No offer of bumping it up to check it out, no offer of a loaner vehicle. Upon asking if a loaner is possible even on the Aug 2nd appointment they said "I'll do my best, but can't promise anything".

Needless to say this is unacceptable with a new vehicle. Sure I'm still under warranty and in fact have an extended warranty, but that is far from the point. Not only venting a bit but also looking to see if anyone has had similar...

Has anyone else had similar issues with ABS/ESC/Hill Hold?

Similar unwillingness to help with a brand new vehicle off the lot?

It's a bummer to be 6k miles into a new vehicle and feel like I can't continue my build and sink more money, time or put any more holes in the rig as it's POS that I'm going to have warranty issues with...

Any advice is very welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
I would just keep driving it till they can look at it or try another dealer. Nothing says you have to go the selling dealer for warranty work. ABS & Hill Hold aren’t exactly major things that would stop me from driving it but others may disagree;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm with KOV. This does not sound like something that mandates parking the van until it gets fixed. Obviously they replaced the wrong thing last time. If they get it right this time, you may never have another problem with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally agree Keeponvaning and ThomD, it's not like we've always had abs or traction control etc...

I think had there been a better response from service I wouldn't have been quite as frustrated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
CoBom, we had a similar experience with the alert. After 7 days at the dealer they replaced the steering angle sensor and all has been good. It is a bit of a gut punch to have stuff like this happen on a new vehicle, but we just came back from a 2500 mile trip with zero issues. There is a lack of familiarity at dealers, it seems, with the PM. Having said that, our dealer did cover a rental car for the entire time, and kept in touch with me as they tried to solve the problem. The third mechanic to get involved at the dealer figured it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had the hill assist issue as well. Vehicle was in limp mode with the lightning bolt light on and the ESC light. Of course this was on the middle lane on the 5 South with LA morning traffic.

Vehicle had 49979 miles. I luckily had 21 miles left on the warranty. At first they replaced the throttle body. The van worked fine but on my way to work it went into limp mode again. They ordered a part which took two days. Replaced this time with the ECU and they did a test drive to make sure it was fine.

I'll get the actual part when I look at the paperwork again tonight. Apparently the parts work in sequence so it's difficult to diagnose between one or the other. Today I'm at 50500 miles and so far so good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did yours go into limp mode as well and did it shutter a bit every time you backed off the accelerator?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Find an email for an FCA VP and you'll be sorted in 24 hours.
I did this with Jeep and was back in my vehicle in no time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update on this from anyone? My van have me the same warning lights as soon as I drove off the dealers lot. Happens when a take a tight turn. Steering angle sensor was adjusted but problem still occured. Now it's been in shop for about 3 weeks and they say they are waiting for a ABS module. Surprised Chrysler doesn't have this part readily available. They said its backorderd or still being manufactured?!?

Rob

·
Registered
469 Posts
mine was on for 2 years and I never got it fixed. number 1 I hate ABS and think it is the most dangerous thing in the snow or while towing as far as the hill holder that is a stupid feature in my opinion. I just traded the van in so I never did find out the cause. mine came on in a horrible downpour while at highway speed. my guess in water got to the abs control under the hood and shorted something out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mine was on for 2 years and I never got it fixed. number 1 I hate ABS and think it is the most dangerous thing in the snow or while towing as far as the hill holder that is a stupid feature in my opinion. I just traded the van in so I never did find out the cause. mine came on in a horrible downpour while at highway speed. my guess in water got to the abs control under the hood and shorted something out.
I was having this issue as well and multiple dealerships failed to diagnose correctly. Finally a friend peered into my wheel well and found that the wire connecting the brake pad sensor was severed. It turns out that this can then short which causes the ABS, Hill Assist, etc lights to come on. Upon closer inspection, all four of them were severed (!!!) so there's probably a manufacturing issue somewhere here.

In any case, I asked the dealership about that and they said the only way to replace those sensors was to replace the brake pads since they're hardwired in and since my brakes were practically new I refused. So they taped off the wires to prevent a fault, charged me several hundred dollars (grrrr), and sent me on my way. No more issues since then. Well, no more of that particular issue, to be precise. I just need to keep an eye on brake levels since there's no sensor now.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was having this issue as well and multiple dealerships failed to diagnose correctly. Finally a friend peered into my wheel well and found that the wire connecting the brake pad sensor was severed. It turns out that this can then short which causes the ABS, Hill Assist, etc lights to come on. Upon closer inspection, all four of them were severed (!!!) so there's probably a manufacturing issue somewhere here.

In any case, I asked the dealership about that and they said the only way to replace those sensors was to replace the brake pads since they're hardwired in and since my brakes were practically new I refused. So they taped off the wires to prevent a fault, charged me several hundred dollars (grrrr), and sent me on my way. No more issues since then. Well, no more of that particular issue, to be precise. I just need to keep an eye on brake levels since there's no sensor now.
that's interesting I had a severed on the driver side rear brake. just taped it and let it go it didn't cause and issue when it happened but maybe over time water got into what I taped and cause a short causing the problem. ill never know I just traded the van in last week.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Same issue....I don't care about the system failures....it's the beeping that really is annoying.

My speedo is also falling to zero.

If I pull the ecs fuse....would that kill the beeping?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts