Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to join the forum. Been looking at Ram Promasters for the last few weeks - just about ready to order.

Anyone know anything about the MOPAR high headliner option?

John

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been wondering about it as well, and what little information I have found would seem that they remove the storage area above the drivers area and just have the headliner follow the roofline from the top of the windsheild. If that is true, I can't imagine why it costs so much. Surely there has to be more to it than that...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just noticed the two grab handles at the rear. Is this a new option? I haven't seen those before.
Yes, it's a $150 option. The "build your own" on the RAM web site has a bad picture, where it shows the handle above the passengers head.

I also noticed that the Remote Start option appears to be gone in 2018.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks like it might be easier for upfitters/RV conversions to blend that headliner into an interior with overhead cabinets.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is the shelf above the cab gone?
From what I can tell the large shelf over the whole cab area is still standard, and the optional smaller shelf just above the visors is still part of the "Interior convenience package". It appears that the "High Headliner" option removes all of this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up changing my order to not include the high headliner. I had originally picked it since I thought it might make the 136 inch seem bigger by increasing the space/height in the cab. Of note, I was able to order the interior convenience package with the High Headliner option - don't know if that means that the smaller shelf would still be present.

I ultimately decided against the High Headliner because of the loss of the shelf, a (probably unfounded) concern that cutting away some of the metal would impair the structural integrity, the absence of a clear picture or description, and even a little because of the price ($580).

·
Registered
552 Posts
<snip>
I ultimately decided against the High Headliner because of the loss of the shelf, a (probably unfounded) concern that cutting away some of the metal would impair the structural integrity <snip>
What? I don't think they have cut away any of the metal. The outside of the body doesn't change, and any metal that was inside the area above the cab was to provide support for the part they removed.

That being said, it seems like a very expensive option to have something less.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
It appears that they don't install the headliner in its usual position where there is a shelf above it, as in most of our vans. The High Headliner option seems to leave out the shelf (not the small one, the big one that spans from door to door)

Better illustrated on this dealer photo I found....

Why would you pay a lot more for less? The only thing I can think of is for an interior ladder/surfboard rack!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Question: When you buy off the lot, dealers will deeply discount off the sticker. Are you able to get a discount when you special order?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I see lots of sprinter owners putting that shelf in. Can't imagine taking it out. Lots of needed storage up there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have one without the overhead, and one with it. I GREATLY prefer the one with the shelf. It is I'm just wasted space without it.

I can see having it if you wanted it for a camper build and wanted more head room for a walk-through, or maybe as was mentioned you needed the extra length to rack something inside. It does seem a little irregular to charge more for something that is simpler.

I suppose they are in business to make money. Plus, it could be an extra expense for them that is not clearly discernible to us. Who knows what extra issues it might create changing the routine on the assembly line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts