Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize if this subject has been discussed before, but I could not find any mention of it.
Has anyone had their Promaster (not City) towed by AAA, and what coverage did they have?
I have a 2500 HiTop LWB and the nice lady at AAA could not answer my question about whether my AAA Plus policy would allow for towing of the van. The person she talked to on the phone said something about roof height restrictions, and that I should take the van to AAA's towing contractor and have them look at the van. I assume that it is to see whether or not the van will fit on one of their trailers ???
Anyone else had similar experiences?

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Several people on the forum have said AAA refused to tow their Promasters but others have said it depends on the AAA branch as they allmay have different policies. There is no real reason why they can’t other than policy.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Towing is included in most RV policies. That may be a better alternative as they should respond with a tow vehicle capable as well. If you have AAA and an RV policy you might try your insurer first.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If it's a problem, it's likely to show up at the contractor level which is really impossible to predict. If you have to call AAA for a tow, be very specific in what type of vehicle you have, and double check directly with company being sent out (If possible) is bringing a truck capable of moving it. We are a bit lucky with having FWD so if the van fits, towing it is fairly straight forward. The most likely issues are going to be height and length if the tow truck company dispatches a flatbed, or possibly the width of the wheels on some of the smaller tow trucks.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Everything mentioned makes sense. I called my "On Your Side" insurance company today, and for $21 a half, I can get all of my vehicles covered for towing. If AAA refuses to tow, maybe Nationwide will.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,124 Posts
Hi,
Would the PM be any more difficult to tow than a pickup?

Seems like half the cars on the road around here are pickups -- can't imagine AAA not towing pickups, and if so, why not PMs?

Gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
I may be a bit late in replying to this question, but I've been very satisfied with AAA towing. I have a Winnebago Trend on a Promaster chassis. The Trend is 24 feet long and a little over ten feet high. I've had it towed twice by AAA, each time for at least 100 miles, after breakdowns while on extended camping trips. On each experience, I told the AAA representative what we had, including the approximate dimensions. They sent a roll-back wrecker right to our campsite and pulled the Trend on board with no problem. Then my wife and I rode in the wrecker to our destination at no additional cost and with no issues. I have AAA membership with RV designation. I hope this helps. Komac

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
379 Posts
Before you pay for the coverage, do you still have your warranty? The dealer picked my 2018 3500 Extended up when I had a serpentine belt break. It was an easy transaction and they sent a truck that had no problem with picking mine up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had my REV RV towed two times now. They hooked up the front wheel lift and off they went in about 10 minutes. They towed it about 10 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I may be a bit late in replying to this question, but I've been very satisfied with AAA towing. I have a Winnebago Trend on a Promaster chassis. The Trend is 24 feet long and a little over ten feet high. I've had it towed twice by AAA, each time for at least 100 miles, after breakdowns while on extended camping trips. On each experience, I told the AAA representative what we had, including the approximate dimensions. They sent a roll-back wrecker right to our campsite and pulled the Trend on board with no problem. Then my wife and I rode in the wrecker to our destination at no additional cost and with no issues. I have AAA membership with RV designation. I hope this helps. Komac
Last week we needed a tow to the dealer. We had AAA with RV designation. The agent, for whatever reason, asked if there were seats in the back (there are none). He then determined it was a commercial vehicle and not covered in the policy. There was not chance of a repeal after speaking with 3 different agents. We have had the policy (RV) for 5.5 years and our original discussion with AAA did not indicate any of this. $600 lost. This was our first need of AAA.
A local tow company ($106) lifted the front wheels with a hook truck and away it went.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a promaster 2500 and AAA have told me they do not offer roadside assistance for the promaster because it is considered a 'commercial vehicle'. Geico told me the same thing. I have a friend who has AAA coverage for a promaster through his credit card - but if you try to go through AAA directly, they refuse coverage for commercial vehicles. Does anyone know a company that offers roadside assistance for promasters without the need for a credit card??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Allstate has it on my policy but I have not used it....i traded another vehicle and put pmc on policy...was not a problem....i have had people park behind me at grocery store parking lot....usually a couple and they watch me open the back and load the grocery.....not sure if they are from insurance co. or just tourons.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
You have to get the "premier" plan (not the classic or plus). The comparison chart (at least for California) says premier covers RV:

RV and motorcycle towing

If they can tow an RV they better be able to tow a PM!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts