Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread here where slime grew in the water tank. I don't have that issue. But with water coming out of a garden hose then sitting in the plastic-ish tank in hot circumstances doesn't impress me a healthy to consume. My question: What do you wash fruits and vegetables with?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,342 Posts
Your question reminds me of the many restrooms I’ve visited with a sign that the water in the sink is non-potable. So I’m supposed to wash my hands in something that's not safe to drink?

I suspect it's a matter of volume.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,920 Posts
There was a thread here where slime grew in the water tank. I don't have that issue. But with water coming out of a garden hose then sitting in the plastic-ish tank in hot circumstances doesn't impress me a healthy to consume. My question: What do you wash fruits and vegetables with?
Camco (22783) 25' TastePURE Drinking Water Hose - Lead and BPA Free, Reinforced for Maximum Kink Resistance 5/8" Inner Diameter , White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ME11FS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6Y0F4EAMNKRKYGNP4TC8

Use an RV drinking water hose to fill... And don't use it for anything but filling your clean water tank.

Empty tank between trips.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
As others have said, do what you can to ensure the water going in is potable and untainted (RV water hose, filters, etc) then let your nose tell you if it's going off in the tank. If it started out clean and you use it regularly, it shouldn't go bad. Of course, drain your system if you won't be using it for an extended period, especially when freezing is possible.

Be cautious with water sources, too. Campgrounds on wells may or may not test or treat their water. You can ask. Responsible ones will post warning signs if there is a problem. Just last week, we stayed at a provincial campground that had posted a boil-water advisory on their webpage, so we filled up before leaving home. Many camping apps also list dump sites and water sources. I'm also wary of potable hoses furnished at dumpsites. As my mother used to say, "Put that down! You don't know where it's been." Being selective and cautious, we've never had a problem with water quality.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As others have said, do what you can to ensure the water going in is potable and untainted (RV water hose, filters, etc) then let your nose tell you if it's going off in the tank. If it started out clean and you use it regularly, it shouldn't go bad. Of course, drain your system if you won't be using it for an extended period, especially when freezing is possible.

Be cautious with water sources, too. Campgrounds on wells may or may not test or treat their water. You can ask. Responsible ones will post warning signs if there is a problem. Just last week, we stayed at a provincial campground that had posted a boil-water advisory on their webpage, so we filled up before leaving home. Many camping apps also list dump sites and water sources. I'm also wary of potable hoses furnished at dumpsites. As my mother used to say, "Put that down! You don't know where it's been." Being selective and cautious, we've never had a problem with water quality.
Thanks @SteveSS !!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In addition, when filling, we put this filter after the RV hose, just before it enters the tank:

After the tank, pump, interior plumbing, etc, our cold fresh water tap has this filter just before it comes out in the sink:

Those are 2 excellent options. My under-sink space is small. Gotta see if that will work. But the Camco is a definate! Thank you. I won't drink from the fresh water tank. I drink bottled water here in PA. But I want to cook pasta, rice, clean veggies... with faucet water.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I got one of these from Tractor-Supply to use when the source spigot isn't threaded for a hose, but now I actually prefer it to a hose. I personally find it easier to manage, keep clean, and stow.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
I always drink tap water everywhere (except out of country and while backpacking), and made no plans to change that in a van. But my wife likes the taste of filtered water and I didn't wanna let her bring her huge water filter pitcher lol. So I did a second faucet with a 2 stage, single-cartridge filter under the sink. Also didn't have much space but I managed to stuff it under there. It does taste better.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
One of our daughters got quite ill from drinking water from a state campground that was certified as clean and sterilized.

Now we only consume bottled water when on the road. Same for food cleaning.

I might put up with getting a water borne illness myself, but not when it might affect my children.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts