Ram Promaster Forum banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I thought that I would post some updated thoughts about my tire choice.

I did get all of the wheel wells cut and the plastics back on and I really like the look!

But...now having put about 3000 miles on the big tires ( 235/85R16 ), I found that the van struggled to push them, especially in the mountains and while towing trailers. I found that I had to use the “manual “ shifting mode to drive the van just to help it shift, otherwise it was a slug. My fuel economy was anywhere between 15-18 and the best I saw was 19MPG in my diesel.

Yesterday I switched back to 245/75R16 and the van is much happier! I could immediately tell a difference and when on a 400 mile trip and was averaging 22MPG.

The tires are Hankook Dynapro A/T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bummer that the 235 tires didn't work out, but your 245's look great (And that custom rack is awesome!). I went with the 245/70's AT3's from Cooper to get something a little beefier, but still close to the same size.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Changing tire diameter changes how many "miles" are in miles per gallon calculations. I don't think anyone has reprogrammed the speedo on a Promaster so how did you account for the change when comparing MPG?

Almost forgot- You are a god among fabricators and have true vision on your projects : )

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Found this on Amazon

Should be pretty handy. It’s made for a horse trailer for a grooming caddie, but I think that it will work for holding straps and etc.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
After a year of using his van, dad wants to change the layout and one of the major change considerations is moving the folding sofa/bed from the back to in front of the slider door. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Change is in the air. After using his van for two years, Dad wants to change his layout. We hashed out lots of options and here is what we decided to do.

Before.

Framework for the new build ready for powder coating.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Impressive and inspiring father/son team.
I've sent folks your way for your tarps/tents.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice! i know i want to have a travel table in ours as well for the kids to do work and play on for drive times. Is that black rectangle on the back of the driver headrest is a tablet holder, or i guess a dvd player, details?

the insulated curtain, do you find that works better than blocking out the windows with individual window screens, do you have a sun screen for the main window as well? I'm on the fence with doing a partition
curtain. I could see an insulated curtain like yours being better for cold weather, but do the windows still get alot of condensation?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
The black rectangle is a DVD player with the IR wireless headphones.

I have the window covers and rarely use them. I have noticed the the condensation is worse with the fitted window covers than with the insulated curtain. The curtain is also a lot easier to use.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I built a box for the skis.

Now I need to add some ski slots and such to keep the skis managed.

Can you share the link to that bike rack? I've never seen one like that. It looks like the bikes hang from their stems? Is it just for shuttling, or are the bikes secure?
Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The bike rack is my own design that borrowed an idea from Lolo Racks. It does hang the bikes from the handle bars/stems. I have used it for a year and have hauled 4 bikes around the Western US. It works, but I am nervous on rough roads. I figure that it is about 150 lbs on the door. The hinges are stock. The door does sag about 1/4” when open and there is some rear door noise when driving on rough roads. I really like the concept and it has worked for me so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a new member stumbling across what appears to be the best promaster forum, I come across this build thread first.

Nice quality work man, very impressive. I will definitely be reaching out in the future about your tarps.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts