Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2014 last September in Louisville and drove it north to Minnesota. I had plans to do a lot of the buildout over the winter...sorta forgot it gets cold in these parts...dah! and there is no way to get er into my garage. Luckily I spend a fair bit of time in Canada and my girlfriend has a warm barn to work in so we've been doing what we can little by little.

Insulated with Thinsulate - thanks Hein
Floor is Minicell from Foamforyou with 3/4" ply
Windows are from Motion windows. -thanks Jeff
Roof rack being created by Mainmadestudios in FLA- thanks Orangebox for the connection (pictures to come)

Moving on to wiring/solar next. Pulled some wires during the insulation but I think I may switch gears a bit after reading what others have done.

There is so much great info on this forum. It can be a bit daunting. It's hard to find a consensus on the "right" way. Probably a lot of right ways.

Our plan is to keep the inside fairly flexible and take a few long trips to figure out what we really want. We have double doors so that creates some challenges for buildout not having one continuous wall.

Little by little we'll get there. So great seeing how so many of you have done things. Great inspiration.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am really liking the high fixed windows above back wheels... Care to share any details?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tempered glass from Motion Windows. Probably get it anywhere, but we were ordering sliders from MW. Had to find a good seal rubber as the one they provided didn't fully seal the water out. They go in pretty easily.

We are both taller and found that we needed to crouch down to see out of the more traditional midsection placed windows. We love how they turned out. Actually wanted to do a series of small ones like the old 21 window VW Buses but windows in the doors wouldn't line up.

If I was to do it again, I'd use a lighter tint to the glass. They let some light in but we'd like a bit more. I'm sure once summer comes we'll probably prefer the higher tint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the inside is rough at this point. Almost embarrassed to show it based on the cool stuff that many of you have done. For now we've just created a frame on each rear side wall and use tie downs to attach these to the walls. Then we have cross members and ply between the frames for shelves and the top is our bed. Very crude for now. We also created some cubes that move around the space between the doors. These provide nice storage options and can be arranged as an assortment of seating options. Our thinking at this point is that these cubes and a table will be movable and removable, working with an L track system in the floor. Again though we know we don't know what we really want till we're "out there" a bit. We do know that two sliders and our choice to put windows where most have cabinets has created the need for creative storage options.

I'll try and get some photos of the inside.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You show us yours , and I'll show you mine. I just threw enough stuff in mine to get by for a weekend mission. Embarrassing ? you bet, shameful yes ! Got to start somewhere. I kept a note pad in the old E of needed upgrades on the fly.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,544 Posts
Absolutely nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. We all started with that mess in an empty box.

Tighe, my under-bed drawer banks are are the widths they are because I needed to use some boxes I already had until I got the drawers built.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. That helps. I'll get some pics soon.

One thing I left off the build list above is sound deadener. Even though I was impressed with the sound deadening of the Thinsulate alone from Hein's video, I put sound deadener material on about 60% of the panel surface area. She's quiet now, which is nice.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
tighe,

Great start! I like the narrow top windows... wonder if Motion Windows does them as sliders. I' d like to put 'em on the back doors in the top panel above the stock windows with sliders to promote air flow.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
tighe, the narrow top windows are great! Did you have to remove a small vertical post from the van body? You got me thinking about putting one behind the drivers seat above the regular window. Too bad there isn't a clear space above the sliding door.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep removed the small support. I have plans to put a small support in between the windows when I develop the jambs for the windows.

We were "out there" today and I was standing up in our center compartment and I was looking at the world around us so I took a couple pics. We really like having the visibility from these windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this one shows the framing. As I mentioned I took out one support, didn't seem load bearing and I will add a support between the windows, and there will be a roof rack above it. Think I'm ok with those assumptions? Also pictured is the most crucial part of the project, my more rational half, my sounding board, my very skilled coworker, and fellow dreamer.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
tighe,

I am interested in the smaller of the high windows you have. I would like to install one of those in each upper back corner, hopefully not having to remove any vertical supports. I know you said this was a Motion Window, do you have the model number for the smaller of the high windows?

Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was a custom order. Just contact Jeff and tell him the size you want, tempered. The rubber they provide didn't seal for me without a bead of caulk in the channel. I hunted all over and even ordered a few other rubbers but theirs is about as tight on the metal and flexible as I could find.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trying to track down the order form for the dimensions for you but can't seem to find it. I had to reorder them as they were too tall the first time. Because of the craziness Jeff will probably remember my order and could find the final dimension we used. Good guy to work with. The windows were around $75 a piece, not sure if you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Also, I headed the advice of many on this forum and didn't use a silicone caulk. I think we used a urethane based caulk. Do a search and there is quite a bit of info on which caulks to use on rubber for windows. Sorry should have kept better track of the build materials.

hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,544 Posts
"The rubber they provide didn't seal for me without a bead of caulk in the channel."

Was this a curvature issue? The butyl rubber they provided me sealed quite nicely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts