Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
72 Posts
Hi,
Looks like we are off to the Dempster highway again, and based on the tire problems we had last time and our recent two tire failure problem in Iceland, we are adding a rear door carrier for a 2nd spare.
Iceland? Do tell more. Where is the bridge/ferry?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi
Went to Iceland earlier this year and while on one of the interior "F" roads managed to take out two tires on the same rock.
Luckily rest of family was in 2nd identical rental car, so had 2 spares to limp along on.

The Dempster highway is closed to non essential travel at the Peel river ferry close to border with North West Territory.
But, this still leaves 3/4s of highway open, and it's the most scenic part.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi,
So, we are back from the spare tire carrier test on the Dempster Highway. 500 miles of rough gravel and potholes plus 5000 miles of paved highway to get there and back.

It did fine.
As it happened, we had zero tire failures this time, so did not actually use the spare.

its not noisy when driving on smooth or rough roads.

The door hinges and structure appear to have held up well to the extra load - I can't detect any difference in the way the door hangs or operates.

All the bumps have not added any play to the tire support structure. Its very stiff with all the glued surfaces.

There was a small area of discoloration of the door paint where the spare tire rubber contacted the door, but this scrubbed out with some soap and water. But, if mounting the spare this way permanently, there might be some long term wear on the door paint. Probably some method to protect the door paint would be a good idea.

More details and pictures toward the bottom of this page...

I'm quite happy with it, and don't plan to make any changes.
I plan to use it to carry the extra spare only on trips where a 2nd spare seems advisable (like the Dempster).

The Dempster Highway turned out to be beautiful this time of year with the fall colors.
Traveling to Canada during this pandemic turned out to be worth the extra bit of hassle of getting tested for covid before the trip. Border traffic was very low, and no hassles at the border as long as you get the covid test and use the ArriveCan app. Turns out you don't even need a covid test to get back into US. Mask use and vaccination rates are higher in Canada, so less risk of getting covid there than in US.

Gary

·
Registered
151 Posts
Even in my major city, it took days to get an exact tire (OEM Nexen) to the dealer (I bought my tire at a Dodge dealer at the same time as getting the OEM rim and TPMS sensor; the rim took a day, the tire a few days (at least more than 1; I wasn't in a hurry and didn't check back with them often)).
I was thinking about strapping a tire, without rim, to the roof if traveling one of these long roads with few repair shops as a compromise so you're sure that any tire shop can swap in a new tire. Of course, this doesn't address the issue of having to backtrack to a tire repair shop.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was thinking about strapping a tire, without rim, to the roof if traveling one of these long roads with few repair shops as a compromise so you're sure that any tire shop can swap in a new tire. Of course, this doesn't address the issue of having to backtrack to a tire repair shop.
Or, maybe strapping the tire to the back door might be easier?

We also carried one of those small 12 volt compressors and a rubber plug repair kit.

We encountered one couple on the Dempster that was actually able to do a repair with the rubber plug kit.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
544 Posts
Used rim is pretty cheap, you going to take a hit on the aerodynamic anyway mind as well get a fully assemble tire/rim so you have it ready to use.

Reactions: wnybiker
21 - 26 of 26 Posts