Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trail Magic is offering free assistance to thru-hikers—usually food, drink or transportation. Yesterday, I expanded the definition a bit. Our trailhead was 28 miles down a dirt road. A trail maintenance crew is there for the week clearing downed trees from the trails. When we returned to the van from our hike, we took a shower as we usually do. Then I heated a second container for the crew and set it outside the kitchen window (which I covered for their privacy). Only the crew chief accepted my offer, but he obviously appreciated it a lot.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's my plan to do more of it as I age. The Colorado Trail has few trailheads with easy access to supplies. At this same trailhead, I was able to offer bananas to a couple of thru-hikers—and take back the peel. I envision a bunch of ice cream sandwiches in my freezer, cold drinks and fresh fruit/veggies. The other day in a vigorous hailstorm, we passed three hikers trying to catch a ride. It grieved us to pass them by, but we have no extra seats.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
682 Posts
The other day in a vigorous hailstorm, we passed three hikers trying to catch a ride. It grieved us to pass them by, but we have no extra seats.
Back in the day when I was at mid-twenties, I wouldn't think twice about stuffing people into the back of the van laying on the bed or sitting on the floor. But today I would never consider putting someone in the van who wasn't strapped down securely. And given those videos of crash testing camper vans, I'd want a proper seat bolted to the floor between the passenger and the flying objects.

Why did I become such a wimp?

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
770 Posts
Back in the day when I was at mid-twenties, I wouldn't think twice about stuffing people into the back of the van laying on the bed or sitting on the floor. But today I would never consider putting someone in the van who wasn't strapped down securely. And given those videos of crash testing camper vans, I'd want a proper seat bolted to the floor between the passenger and the flying objects.

Why did I become such a wimp?
Not wimp - wise!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I believe in magic!

I live near McAffe Knob in VA and hike it several times a year. On one particular hike in mid January with newly fallen snow, I discovered not one but two marijuana cigarettes upon the trail. Being the first person to ascend the mountain that morning, with no soul in sight surrounded by crisp air and ice covered trees I rejoiced in the fact that I always have a lighter on me for emergency purposes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wish I had belonged to this forum when we hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2019 and finished in 2020. Nothing more appreciated than Trail Magic. It definitely raises your spirits. Thank you for bringing a smile to a stranger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts