Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Europe there is a big problem with water inlet under the hood at the X250 (European ProMaster internal code).
There are lots of corrosion damage to the electrical system and in winter freezes even the V-belt and the generator.

Take a look at

The manufacturer knows the problem and there is also informations for the garages.
The garages only responds, if the customer complains.

Internal-Number-Garage-Information

Fiat: 1060 1 651 YD
Citroen: 2CU9-C2AU16Q0

First aid measure: Buy the Part Nr. 20 (http://autogroom.ru/application/img/orign_cats/fiat/7B/7B5E40F5757759407C4A1BE363F93140.png) with the Fiat-Part-Number 1364986080
it´s a Water collection box with drain hose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Whoa! In general engine and electrical components really don't like getting wet, do they! My first question is: Is this a problem exclusive to the Ducato, etc? Does this also apply to ProMasters here in the U.S.? 2nd: Is this something you have experienced yourself, or did you come across the links above and (thoughtfully) post it here? 3rd: If you are experiencing this first-hand, does this seem to be something that can be corrected with sealant and/or an appropriately routed drain tube?

Much thanks for the heads-up on this!
Hardy

·
Registered
888 Posts
ProMaster doesn't have this problem. We have large 40mm drain hose running from that catch trough to ground

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ProMaster doesn't have this problem. We have large 40mm drain hose running from that catch trough to ground
European also have ;-)
Look at videos.

The problem affects at least every European Cars since Year 2006: Fiat Ducato, Citroen Jumper, Peugeot Boxer.
I think that the Promaster is also affected.
My car still has it, because the garages despite instructions not have under control. There is a construction flaw.

Every year there are even in the winter a lot engine damage at the small 2,3L-Diesel engine, because the timing belt freezes.

Send me your E-Mail-Adress and I send you the Fiat- and Citroen-Instructions (unfortunately, only in German)
The files are to big for the forum.

·
Registered
154 Posts
(Gosh I love this forum. You folks are great!)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Yes we have this problem here also. But it depends on how the van is parked.
I do not think it is a issue when driving. The cowling is in two pieces and they do
not match very good in the middle and water will go underneath. Needs to be
redesigned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway, I would appeal it to my dealer.
There is a warranty claim.
I would no want corrosion damages under the hood.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have seen water lying on the intake manifold after a rain. I cleaned the seals on both sides of the air intake and adjusted the front of the hood down. This should make the seals fit tighter against each other.

More to come...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I did the test with hood closed. Then looked at water drips. I don't see any problem with water draining at middle seam. No water drained onto electric at end. I don't have those electric parts shown in the top video.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The water runs mainly between the windscreen and the lower windscreen cover in the engine compartment.
Also outside at the end of the lower windscreen coverage comes into water.
Put your ProMaster into the sun and watch what happened with the lower windscreen cover.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow! Since 2006 is a long time for a design flaw to remain unfixed. Thanks for alerting us to this issue. This has me concerned as I have no garage or carport. I will have to test my ProMaster to see what happens (simulated rain with a sprinkler hose).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder about the windshield wiper pivot on the drivers side. The water sits in the hollow when it rains and once the seals wear down a bit, water can get into the bushing. I might just drill a hole in the lowest part and attach a spigot to it with a drain hose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The seal of the wiper shaft has even a slot to allow water to run off

European vehicles have a drain hose here.
But this clogged very quickly.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YnakjAIbs20/U3c1ncj_HrI/AAAAAAAAAyU/uN6Tqz1xHRc/s1600/P1040033.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ftad7QObrNw/U3c1zrUewkI/AAAAAAAAAyc/cCtd-13qeH0/s1600/P1040034.JPG
www.michael-a-mayer.com/Wasserschutz/Schlauch_05.JPG

On the right side of the vehicle is in Europe also a small drain hose installed.

Look at Part Nr. 17 (http://autogroom.ru/application/img/orign_cats/fiat/7B/7B5E40F5757759407C4A1BE363F93140.png)
Its the Fiat Number 1361912080
Needed 3x (1x in the middle of the air intake and each 1 near the wiper shaft each in the lowest point of the cover)

Also install Part Nr. 20 (http://autogroom.ru/application/img/orign_cats/fiat/7B/7B5E40F5757759407C4A1BE363F93140.png)
Its the Fiat Number 1364986080
Needed 1x

At the diesel engine should break down the upper engine cover and check the fuel injectors.
By entering water rust this fixed so that one with a possible exchange of the injectors a new cylinder head is required.

Here a picture from a 4 weeks "old" engine: www.wohnmobilforum.de/bilderdienst/up/Injector_8488.JPG

I recommend a treatment with corrosion protection oil spray like this: http://eshop.wuerth.de/Corrosion-protection-spray-CORRPROT-SPRAY-300ML/089315.sku/en/US/EUR/

The next problem because of the rust are the 4 screws of the upper Diesel engine air filter cover.
These should be replaced as soon as possible against stainless steel screws.
Needed 4 stainless steel panhead screws 5,0x40/25 like this:
https://eshop.wuerth.de/Particle-bo...D-WO-A2-AW20-5X40-25/018055040.sku/en/US/EUR/

·
Registered
171 Posts
There were recalls and TSB around, if I remember well, 2007-2008. They added drains, that time to time is better to check (as for all vehicles, for examplethe VW Golf of my father has water leaking inside because leafs in drains :-/) and some some plastic covers.
For the models with 2.3 diesel engine there is a plastic cover that is installed in the inhectors area + a protective "grease".

Ram Promaster diesel doesn't use the 2.3 diesel engine (F1A).
Also 3 liter diesel F1C engine has a distribution chain instead of belt used in 2.3 l diesel engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My vehicle is Year 2012 and it still runs into water everywhere.
Even in the 3L-Diesel rust the injectors.

A little tip: For the self-made drainage of the windscreen-cover can also be used a 1/4 inch thru-hull-fitting ;-)

·
Registered
171 Posts
For the ones that had the new drainage system installed but have water leaks some additional self-made fix can be done like You see in the following video (in french).
He used a black silicon for gasket, the light color he says is dust from rain.
The best is to use a UV resistant silicone.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Silicone is garbage. It collects dust, contaminates the material and you can never get rid of it.Nothing will stick to that now.
Use black window urethane adhesive or black seam seal. Ounce silicone hits the material it can never be properly cleaned.

Same if anyone decides to paint their bumpers. If it has been done in Armor All or a wax with silicone.it is toast.
Can not be properly painted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
same problem or a different one?

I received a recall notice with the quoted text below. Wonder if it is caused by the water problem discussed here, or something else.

"Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2014 model year RAM ProMaster vehicles.

The problem is...
Certain electrical connectors on your vehicle may corrode. Water may enter through the in-floor battery well, door foot-well, and/or Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module connectors. Corrosion in these electrical circuit connectors could cause a loss of vehicle propulsion, airbags, stop lamps, turn signals, back up lamps and/or parking lamps. Any of the above conditions could cause a crash without warning and possible loss of airbag function."

What your dealer will do…
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect all suspect electrical connectors and repair them as required. The connector inspection will take about 1.3 hours to complete. If component replacement is required, an additional three hours will be required. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I received a recall notice with the quoted text below. Wonder if it is caused by the water problem discussed here, or something else.

"Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2014 model year RAM ProMaster vehicles.

The problem is...
Certain electrical connectors on your vehicle may corrode. Water may enter through the in-floor battery well, door foot-well, and/or Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module connectors. Corrosion in these electrical circuit connectors could cause a loss of vehicle propulsion, airbags, stop lamps, turn signals, back up lamps and/or parking lamps. Any of the above conditions could cause a crash without warning and possible loss of airbag function."

What your dealer will do…
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect all suspect electrical connectors and repair them as required. The connector inspection will take about 1.3 hours to complete. If component replacement is required, an additional three hours will be required. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
Yes. Ive got this recall too and had the dealer take care of it.
i believe that this windshield leak is a different issue

1 - 20 of 35 Posts