Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just went in to the dealer today for an oil change and they found two codes. I have to schedule a follow-up visit when a qualified tech is in (they never work the weekends when I have time to bring it in!).

ABS C123064 stored - "CAN vacuum sensor plausibility information -- Signal plausibility failure"
BCM U173687 stored "LTM (Low level Telematic Module) node on B CAN - Missing message"

It's a 2018 w/ 3.6L gas engine.

Google isn't finding much when I search for these codes. A few days ago I did have the "Service ESC" warning show up on the display, and then the light came on, but it was about 2 seconds before I turned it off, and then it didn't come back. I did find the second code with a search, and the thread described a situation where the van was running fine, but didn't seem to want to accelerate, a sensation that I've felt a few times, but it was so subtle that I couldn't tell if it was my imagination, wind, etc...

Does anybody have any idea what I'm probably up against? Any risk of it leaving me stranded? (the nearest commercial vehicle dealer is an hour from where I have it most of the time!! The local RAM dealership cannot even do an oil change on it due to its height and not being a Business Link dealership).

EDIT: Found this, which doesn't mention the Promaster, but it might explain the second code, and thus be nothing of concern -- the dealership did say that the other code was the one that they were focused on: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10148933-9999.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
As a fellow 2018 gasser owner, please keep the forum updated on this. Thanks.

Also, did you ask them to check for codes? I'm curious how they came to find them if you were only in for an oil change. Some shops (hopefully not dealership ones) do the bare minimum for things such as oil changes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to ask due the brief warning, but the service writer had a Bluetooth reader and iPad and she had already pulled them up while grabbing my mileage. I was impressed.

The other dealership I took it to last time got in a fight with my wife over a question that I was trying to ask about changing the warning threshold on the TPMS and then had the nerve to call me and say that they accidentally undercharged me by $3, please call with a CC number.

I think I know which of those two will get my business whenever possible. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I was going to ask due the brief warning, but the service writer had a Bluetooth reader and iPad and she had already pulled them up while grabbing my mileage. I was impressed.

The other dealership I took it to last time got in a fight with my wife over a question that I was trying to ask about changing the warning threshold on the TPMS and then had the nerve to call me and say that they accidentally undercharged me by $3, please call with a CC number.

I think I know which of those two will get my business whenever possible. :)

Re: $3 undercharge. I'd simply tell them my hourly billable rate and let them know that I have a 4 hour minimum. I'd be happy to help them but they'd have to pay up front first.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: $3 undercharge. I'd simply tell them my hourly billable rate and let them know that I have a 4 hour minimum. I'd be happy to help them but they'd have to pay up front first.
The pettiness of it, especially toward a first time customer, was shocking.

·
Registered
723 Posts
FYI : when the customer pay side of service dept is slow they will start searching recalls on inventory and check for extra work (codes) in the service drive . Got to keep the techs busy somehow .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just went in to the dealer today for an oil change and they found two codes. I have to schedule a follow-up visit when a qualified tech is in (they never work the weekends when I have time to bring it in!).

ABS C123064 stored - "CAN vacuum sensor plausibility information -- Signal plausibility failure"​
BCM U173687 stored "LTM (Low level Telematic Module) node on B CAN - Missing message"​

It's a 2018 w/ 3.6L gas engine.

Google isn't finding much when I search for these codes. A few days ago I did have the "Service ESC" warning show up on the display, and then the light came on, but it was about 2 seconds before I turned it off, and then it didn't come back. I did find the second code with a search, and the thread described a situation where the van was running fine, but didn't seem to want to accelerate, a sensation that I've felt a few times, but it was so subtle that I couldn't tell if it was my imagination, wind, etc...

Does anybody have any idea what I'm probably up against? Any risk of it leaving me stranded? (the nearest commercial vehicle dealer is an hour from where I have it most of the time!! The local RAM dealership cannot even do an oil change on it due to its height and not being a Business Link dealership).

EDIT: Found this, which doesn't mention the Promaster, but it might explain the second code, and thus be nothing of concern -- the dealership did say that the other code was the one that they were focused on: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10148933-9999.pdf
Did you ever get the first code fixed? I am working on one now with that code.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. It went away and I’ve not has any side effects.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The second code is a byproduct of the first and you can ignore it. The first is most likely caused by external noise on the ABS line. This could be something, or it could be nothing. Either way, if the light is off you can probably ignore it entirely unless you have some other symptom. What I can tell you is that if you have a real problem, the computer is going to light the ABS light, and disable the ABS and/or traction control. So at least you'll know. I will also add that the ABS system seems pretty bulletproof, except for the sensors which are mounted at the wheels were they can get hit, or the wiring can tear. But if that was your problem, you'd have a full time light, and you'd be spinning the wheels when it rains.

I can also tell you this: I have a mid level scanner, and whenever I plug it in it automatically lights the ESC and ABS lights. No idea why, but simply plugging in the scanner generates those lights. Restart the van and they are gone. Is it possible that the dealership is so stupid and incompetent as to plug in a scan tool to check that all your software is up to date, generates those codes, and then tells you that you have those codes? I wouldn't put it past them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts