Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That US Plastics sheet is not UV stabilized.
Do you think that UV stabilized is critical in this application?

I know that it is ideal, but it seems like stress relieved would be more critical.

In this particular van project - won't see that much sunlight normally.

I am so used to over building things that it is challenging for me to grasp if decorative items will hold up or not in real use or not.

Maybe I should just assume that the surface panels will need to be swapped out periodically?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
I don’t know what happens as the UV breaks it down, but I’d guess it becomes brittle. Anything exposed to the slider opening is going to get a lot of UV, particularly where you are. All that solar you get comes with a price. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don’t know what happens as the UV breaks it down, but I’d guess it becomes brittle. Anything exposed to the slider opening is going to get a lot of UV, particularly where you are. All that solar you get comes with a price. ;)
This cabinet will be over the wheel well - at the back of the van - under the bed.

Will definitely keep the UV stable aspect in mind though.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
If you do go the aluminum route on other revisions; I have cut aluminum angle on my table saw with a diablo demo 7.25” thin blade.
It's dangerous to use the wrong tools. Yes it can be done but it would be much better to use blade that was made for cutting the material you are using. We use triple ground zero or neg rake blades for aluminum because they are safer and designed for if. If would be a tragedy if someone lost a finger because someone recommended the wrong blade.

Yes, it happens. People might not secure things properly or understand the danger of using the wrong blade and what can happen. The blade climbs into the material and stuff goes flying and while trying to keep things from flying someone's hand ends up it the blade.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
It's dangerous to use the wrong tools. Yes it can be done but it would be much better to use blade that was made for cutting the material you are using. We use triple ground zero or neg rake blades for aluminum because they are safer and designed for if. If would be a tragedy if someone lost a finger because someone recommended the wrong blade.

Yes, it happens. People might not secure things properly or understand the danger of using the wrong blade and what can happen. The blade climbs into the material and stuff goes flying and while trying to keep things from flying someone's hand ends up it the blade.
I agree @83Grumman great comment !!

People should always be as safe as they can. They should be properly trained on all equipment & tools (even hand tools). Best to confirm with the manufacturer of the product to ensure safety if one does not know about it. PPE should be worn at all times also.

Building a van can be extremely dangerous, even with the “right tools” !!

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
316 Posts
I have 20 years cutting aluminum with my chop saw using an ATB trim blade and it is still quite sharp and cuts wood fine. I also use a rip blade on my table saw. I have hurt myself cutting reaction wood on the table saw. I never even knew it existed until after I got back from the ER. Reaction wood explodes when cut - hint, always use a push stick. Letting the work get away from you is bad enough with wood but metal is just completely unforgiving. No one got hurt, but I have a significant gouge in a banquet table from some 1/4" that got away from a student.

I cut very little metal now, mostly with the chop saw and I clamp the work using WD40 or paraffin wax for lube. Ear plugs a must.

Having a negative rake triple chip would be nice. Should have done that 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
If you lower a chop saw blade into tall material you are potentially climb cutting. If the blade takes a big bite it can throw the saw arm down and back and fling the work up the fence making the bite even bigger. If you slide into the material it you can avoid most of the effect of climb cutting but the material must be very secure.

If you don't know what climb cutting is try to imagine cutting dados on the table saw feeding the wood from the back of the saw. Zoom! The same effect could occur it you were doing a large router cut and went clockwise around the outside of your work piece.

The anti kickback shoulders common on most blades nowadays counters most of the possibility of the blade chunking into medium to large pieces of solid material. When working with thin or small pieces or extrusions the shoulders will not be in play.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
Good specs on the blade, but strange arbor size… check your saw before you commit.
Don’t hesitate to look for a 7-1/4” blade. Usually cheaper.
I checked the blade after seeing your post. It is a cold cut saw blade.

• CAUTION: Abrasive Saws and Cold Cut Saws operate at different Speeds respective to the blade type being used. Cold Cut Saw blades use a significantly lower RPM than abrasive saw blades. Unless you can adjust the RPM, NEVER put a cold cut saw blade in a saw that is rated to use abrasive saw blades as the vibration from the higher RPM can damage or destroy the cold cut saw blade.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
How about one of these?

Evolution Saw Blades For Aluminum - 10 Inch Circular Saw Blade 10BLADEAL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WCQ5W...abc_KETRBWHWDVMGCWJE3VAA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
DO NOT USE THIS BLADE IN A TABLE OR CHOP SAW!

• CAUTION: Abrasive Saws and Cold Cut Saws operate at different Speeds respective to the blade type being used. Cold Cut Saw blades use a significantly lower RPM than abrasive saw blades. Unless you can adjust the RPM, NEVER put a cold cut saw blade in a saw that is rated to use abrasive saw blades as the vibration from the higher RPM can damage or destroy the cold cut saw blade.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts