Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a first transmission service last June at 58k miles. After draining I replaced the OEM pan with a Dorman pan with a drain plug and installed with a Felpro gasket. No sealer was used and there are no leaks or weeping. I also used a Mopar filter and fluid.

My intention was to do a couple of flushes to help clear out the used fluid. Then I got thinking about how much old fluid was going to remain after one or two (or three) flushes... tricky. After several attempts I finally called a math-heavy friend for some assistance. Attached is a copy of the calcs( because I know you will want to double check me). The short answer is...

One flush = 5.5 qt new & 3.5 qt old.
Two flushes = 7.64 qt new & 1.36 qt old
Three flushes = 8.74 qt new & .53 qt old

I stopped with two flushes, 85% new fluid.

Out of curiosity, I also tore the old filter apart. Surprisingly clean I thought. There are some metal flakes. Mostly there were particles of silicone sealer from the factory that I guess were from the factory pan seal? The pan magnet had a thin film of metallic sludge. All in good shape I think.

Photos... including one of the dipstick stop that keeps you from sucking out all of the fluid with a pump.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim
Rectangle Gas Bag Auto part Automotive exterior
White Gas Composite material Auto part Electric blue
Rectangle Wood Gas Font Artifact
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

Reactions: h1k3rb and phil

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,233 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks

I haven't tried but I'm hoping there is a way to get a suction tube past the stop into the bottom of the pan. Did you try?

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
207 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks

I haven't tried but I'm hoping there is a way to get a suction tube past the stop into the bottom of the pan. Did you try?
I did as @Ken Allan did when my tranny pan started leaking; Dorman pan with drain plug and Felpro gasket. LOL, l did the flush calculations for old/new fluid ratios as well and nosed around this forum and others for vehicles with 62te trannies while noodling if flushing was worth my while. I decided that if the factory fluid change interval was 100K miles just topping it up would suffice. (About 8K miles later my trans solenoid pack was replaced in that recall and the itemized documentation indicates they used 6 qts of ATF+4 so that's a free flush IMHO!)

Okay, short story long is that when I was in there I noticed that the dipstick stop is removable, you can see the head of the retaining bolt in Ken's 4th picture. I also was considering removing it for topside evacuation but decided the drain plug in the new pan would suffice for as often as the trans SHOULD need attention. (If you are going to remove the stop you have to drop the factory pan anyway, consider a new pan with drain plug a reasonable upgrade.) I also didn't want to recalibrate/recalculate the dipstick measurements for checking fluid level. Though that recalibration appears pretty simple I'm not 100% sure it is so the stop stayed in.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
494 Posts
Did you do any driving between flushes? The torque converter holds a lot of fluid that will never drain down. You need to circulate the new fluid through the converter to dilute down the fluid that is in there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. I should have mentioned that I drove about 200 miles before the second flush. It probably only needs a few miles to mix new and old fluid though.

Trying to extract fluid with a suction tube does not seem like a good application for a transmission service.

My 2018 calls for a transmission service every 60,000 miles

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the drain pan the fluid was darker than the new fluid but still red-ish. I didn't think to take a photo of old oil. Ha.

Reactions: phil

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the super nice photos, and of course for sharing. Overall I think it's a really nice maintenance plan. I've had great success with replacing all that will drain every 18-24 months or so on all our automatic vehicles. On the Subarus that usually amounts to 60% new fluid each time. Have had zero troubles out to 200k+ miles, and filters came out remarkably clean (replaced every 10 years or so). The "wait and force flush" method doesn't have anything over this method.

·
Registered
2020 PM 2500 159"
9 Posts
I did the same, only I put a mightyVac universal plug in my factory pan. I think the plug is $6. Drained, filter, fill, drive, drain, fill. Did this at 30k as the fluid was very dark. Was a lease Amazon delivery van, trans service the first week I bought it.

Personally I've always had good luck with permatex ultra black RTV. That is what we used at the garage I worked at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts