Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sat in one without the bulkhead today. I got lucky, the cab was unlocked on a Sunday!

I'm 6'2 185 lbs. Here is what I looked like sitting there, in my usual poor posture position.

My knees. Flopped over on the console. My knees do this is all vehicles. I found the cab very comfortable. I will definitely buy one without the bulkhead.

A red one

After sitting in this one, I drove over to look at the Sprinter. Wow, the Sprinter interior looked like an cheap-o economy car. Really cheap-o looking compared to the Ram Promaster in every way. Dash, seats, steering wheel. This Ram was $34,000, while the cheap-o looking Sprinter was $41,000. No contest who wins

·
Registered
247 Posts
The riding position on this type of vehicle is very different from a conventional car or classic American van. Looking at the pictures, I see that you are looking for a car like position. In Europe, all these vehicles are sold with the bulkhead for safety reasons so we are obliged to keep the seat higher. The configuration of the correct position is contrary to that of a car, because a tall driver must set the seat higher and one lower down.
Same thing with the steering wheel.
This does not mean less comfort, but once used you will appreciate a greater sense of control of the road.
Imho the bulkhead is also very important for the reduction of noise and the A / C (not a simple sheet of steel, but also has a soft carpet).
Red is nice!!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have a bulkhead in mine, but it will be my own design, or something yet to hit the market. I'm sure many bulkhead options will appear soon with the stock one being disliked by so many.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree all sprinters have 1980 engineering for interior but they do have more leg room and more seat positions. Other than that I would never buy another one. I did see two full size transits coming back from the family Xmas party tonight. They look way better than the pm body wise. Couldn't see the interior cause the guy testing it wouldn't even roll his window down to talk with me lol.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The photos of the Transit look nice. But after today, I think I'm spoiled by the low floor and low cab climb-in height of the front wheel drive configuration.

I could envision less motion sickness with the lower ride height. Not that I get that, but less motion, might equal less fatigue on long trips.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe adrian steel has a 3" extension to the bulkhead pushing it further into the cargo area this allowing more seat travel/recline. I'm not sure how the factory one is set up but I was offered the extension when I was pricing out the bulkhead I ordered!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I sat in one without the bulkhead today. I got lucky, the cab was unlocked on a Sunday!

I'm 6'2 185 lbs. Here is what I looked like sitting there, in my usual poor posture position.

My knees. Flopped over on the console. My knees do this is all vehicles. I found the cab very comfortable. I will definitely buy one without the bulkhead.

A red one

After sitting in this one, I drove over to look at the Sprinter. Wow, the Sprinter interior looked like an cheap-o economy car. Really cheap-o looking compared to the Ram Promaster in every way. Dash, seats, steering wheel. This Ram was $34,000, while the cheap-o looking Sprinter was $41,000. No contest who wins
Looks nice in red. Over on the Sprinter forum, the admittedly Sprinter fans that have looked at the PM in person, are saying the same thing about the PM interior being cheap and not very well put together.
Speaking of put together, they should see our 2013. It amazes me how badly the body panels and doors line up, not to mention the switches and adjustment knobs that their mechanisms feel like they are full of sand. (our second one that feels like this)

·
Registered
465 Posts
And in your pictures, you look like you've got the same approximate seating position as the pre-2007 T1N Sprinter with the more upright steering column

·
Registered
386 Posts
well it looks like you fit. but you say your knees do that in the sprinter as well? looks like a close call.

thanks for sharing photos!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.... your knees do that in the sprinter as well?
No, never sat in a Sprinter. Only looked in the window.

I'm saying all vehicles, my trucks, my wife's cars, over the years.

My knees always flop over and touch center consoles. Seeing my knee touch, is not an indication of leg room lacking, with me at least.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Over on the Sprinter forum, the admittedly Sprinter fans that have looked at the PM in person, are saying the same thing about the PM interior being cheap and not very well put together.
I'd didn't spend a long time in the cab studying panel fit, but first impression, I don't see how anyone can walk away thinking the RAM isn't much fancier and more high end. I should have taken more photos. The seats in the RAM look sports car like, while the MB seats look economy car like. BTW, I saw the RAM vinyl and cloth seats. Both, very nice.

I'm curious what our Italian friends think. Is this RAM the same as the Ducato? Or did the RAM engineers upscale our version.

I snagged these off the web.

The RAM steering wheel looks it came from their high end RAM truck model. Nice!

Sports car seats? Pretty nice for a work truck.

Just look at that MB steering wheel and those seats. Straight from a Nissan Sentra if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The photos of the Transit look nice. But after today, I think I'm spoiled by the low floor and low cab climb-in height of the front wheel drive configuration.

I could envision less motion sickness with the lower ride height. Not that I get that, but less motion, might equal less fatigue on long trips.
I'm not sure the cab climb-in height or ride height is much different due to FWD. When I looked at PM one thing I didn't like is how high the seats are to climb in. Once seated I liked the better view of the road because it felt I was much higher.

The PM's FWD results in lower cargo area floor, but cab area has a significant step up, making it about the same.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The PM's FWD results in lower cargo area floor, but cab area has a significant step up, making it about the same.
True. I know it sounds odd to come away with the opinion I did.

I can't figure out why the PM gives the illusion of being so much lower in the cab. The drivers door window seems lower. The first step might be lower.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The main difference between the Ducato and the Promaster is in the seats. The Promaster seats are thicker than the Ducato seats that are similar to the Sprinter ones. The Promaster has nicer seats as well, but the driver seat of my Ducato is already good also for very long travels. Another difference I have seen in Dwight photos is that when I drive my Ducato I can put my elbow on the door armrest wile Dwight can't because he's too low. About the steps to go in and out, by me they are well shaped and I'm used to jump in and out very quickly...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Definitely I Want your seats, but not your big cup holder...
The other things are almost identical.
Also the infotainment systems have the same functionality. The main difference is that the Fiat one has the removable Tomtom placed on a specific support above the dash. There is also a complete automatic A/C system in option.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm curious what our Italian friends think. Is this RAM the same as the Ducato? Or did the RAM engineers upscale our version.
In Europe in most countries You can choose many options for the FIAT Ducato van version (passenger and transformation versions have more options).

This is an image of the FIAT Ducato van with Tom Tom navigation system.
You have no UConnect since i think FIAT has already the contract with Microsoft for Blue&Me.

You can choose for a FIAT Ducato more options than for a Ram Promaster.
I think main reason is the different way of purchasing a van (or car), in Europe You generally order the van (or car) and You don't get one that the dealer has already parked on its lot.

Useful options for North America could be the self leveling suspension, the traction+ system, double cab and the smaller diesel engines at least for the 1500 and 2500 Promaster.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...when I drive my Ducato I can put my elbow on the door armrest wile Dwight can't because he's too low.
My elbow was able to rest on the drivers door sill. But what made it all weirdly uncomfortable was having the arm rest on the seat (opposite side) several inches higher than the door side.

I saw an adjustment hidden on the under side of the arm rest, but could not figure out what it did in my short time in the cab. Maybe it would allow the arm rest to go lower?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts