Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I vent by convection so there is an open space at the bottom of my battery box and a vent leading from the sealed top. Consolidating the hydrogen is the concern so I would not trust bottom venting. The box will be full of hydrogen before the venting works. Diffusion will help but why take a chance. Just leave the batteries open if you can't top vent- the explosion will be smaller then!
Do you have a pic?
The way you describe makes me picture it having to go to the bottom before venting back up again.
Which would be exactly the same as a hole in the floor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And, if I were to replicate this setup and didn't install a shore power connection, would I still want to use the WFCO as a breaker/distribution for the 12v stuff?
And would this setup run that fridge for a week-10 days on solar and alternator alone?
They do make a similar distribution center without the charger/inverter built in. It is the WF8930 and WF8950. I am using one of these to serve as load center/circuit breaker, being fed by my AIMS 25k inverter/charger. It also serves as distribution/fuse box for my 12v DC loads.

LINK to WFCO WF8930/50

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have you been reading the thread?
Yes. I read it and participated about a year ago and have been staying up on the updates. I see lots of positives and negatives of various components and inputs on different preferences but I don't see anything that I view as an "issue" with any of the components.

Hence my question. We have now wasted 3 posts about these issues with no one actually summarizing what they are and why. For a newcomer to stumble across this "helpful" sticky they'd have to hunt pretty hard to find these components with issues.

Have you been reading the thread?

·
Registered
218 Posts
No wonder people complain about this forum. People are more focused on being vindictive than helpful. I don’t need the issues, my electrical is done but unlike you, my aim is to help others in the future. Otherwise why have it as a sticky claiming to help people. It’s like “yeah we want to help you, we can help you, but do the extra work just because”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Get over yourself. I’m one of the top contributors here and I’ve been helping people for almost 5 years. You ask dumb questions you get called out for it.
I know you are a contributor and a moderator. You have helped me before. That's why I was taken aback by your jerky response. It's not a dumb question, I have re-read and there is still nothing that is an actual issue with any of the components. Again, I don't need the help- it was a question so that hopefully someone who comes across this thread looking for guidance would be able to quickly see what some have identified as "issues" or "problems"

It should also be noted. I WASN'T ASKING YOU!!! You weren't the one that posted comment I responded to or the thread starter so if you aren't going to answer the question stay out of it.

Some people have nothing better to do with their time. You could have scrolled past and let the person I responded to answer or if you were some compelled to type something just answered the question

·
Super Moderator
7,001 Posts
It’s not a jerky response. People refuse to do any searching or research themselves they want it all done for them. My job as a moderator is to explain to them if they read the threads and do their homework they will become enlightened.

If you want to help other people you should ask relevant questions or make suggestions that haven’t been covered over and over again. The reality is people spend far to much time and money on things they think they "need" rather than what they actually need and the purpose of this thread by RD is to guide them in the correct direction.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s not a jerky response. People refuse to do any searching or research themselves they want it all done for them. My job as a moderator is to explain to them if they read the threads and do their homework they will become enlightened.

If you want to help other people you should ask relevant questions or make suggestions that haven’t been covered over and over again. The reality is people spend far to much time and money on things they think they "need" rather than what they actually need and the purpose of this thread by RD is to guide them in the correct direction.
Yep, unfortunately amen to that.
Took my around two months between buying my van and beginning to really dig into the build.
All I could do was research and research and research.
Everyone's builds are different, and everyone has different levels of requirements and budget.

Can't just build a cheat sheet for custom projects.
Every project has something that the next guys can learn from, but nothing transfers 100% perfect.
That's why the forum exists.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Noooooo!!!!
I want my setup a specific way and I want y'all to tell me exactly how to do it and what the best parts are and have it be perfect for how I want to use it.
Oh, and I want it all really cheap and super easy to install.
Ready, go.......

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agreed. I think you guys are misinterpreting my original post. Again, I don’t need help with my electrical. I’m not looking for easy answers. As you can see earlier in the thread I not only inquired (got an answer) and have since participated as someone who is done and has been through it.

My post was because the way Dennis campmaker phrased it, there were issues that called for parts of the suggested base build to be replaced with other suggestions. To me, as you all point out, it’s all different, there is no plug and play and needs vary. The thread discusses the short comings and issues with a few components for certain needs but nothing that would seem to me anything needed to be amended. Hence why I asked. I was curious what Camp maker saw, why and what would be updated or replaced.

It’s a discussion not trying to be lazy and get a free answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
OK can I help anyone? "I’ve been doing some hard travel’n” as Bob Dylan would say and now I am in AZ and available. You are all correct about the electrical. KOV keeps us using the forum in a way that lets questions get answered a few times not every day. I for one don’t want to answer over and over.
Some comments:
I didn’t think I would ever use the shore power part of the WFCO but have a few times in 4 plus years and in those times I REALLY needed it. I’d say buy the full featured WFCO and put a plug on the back of the van for the day you do.
This plan is plug and play BUT your needs and desires may vary so no one is going to do this exactly.
People complain about this forum? It makes me wonder what forum they like. My quick look at the Sprinter site and Transit site made me return here with relief.
We all have our quirks. In time you learn what sets people off. Avoid it and don't plan to win if an argument ensues. And if you get in deep with one of the moderators you can find yourself complaining about this forum on one of those other sites.
Rhetorical questions and answers are hard to defend. I have been there and now try to post my experience. If someone goes off and suggests something foolish suggest a simple alternative. My conflicts have been in this area as I feel simple is better, cheaper is often sufficient, and experimenting in new technology should be presented as such. These precepts led me to post the current thread and to request (along with others) it be a sticky.
As for the venting:

·
Registered
489 Posts
BTW, I started a thread about reconditioning batteries....., but I've abandoned that. They were huge (118 lbs each) Trojan deep cell from a big floor scrubber. But they were stored for years with no electrolyte in them. I looked inside with a flashlight and can't tell if they are extremely sulfated or the edges of the lead itself is falling apart. I'm guessing it's not worth the effort and time to revive them. If possible at all, they would never be near their original glory.
However, they are getting ready to replace the batteries in another machine and the maint Dept said I could have them. Those should be easy to recondition as they are still in service. (They don't know how to maintain them and just buy new ones when they start acting wonky).
If that works out, I will update that thread and jot down all the tricks I learned from the insane amount of research I've done on it lately.
If it doesn't work out, I'll buy new ones and let that thread float off into deep space.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That tiny tube is to relieve the battery of electrolyte if needed as all FLA motorsport batteries are. Your starter battery probably has venting of the air around it as it is not internal to the van. I didn’t pull my battery cover to check and mine is AGM anyway so no venting is needed. I used the vent kit I bought for an RV. It could have been smaller but not 1/4"

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Did some light reading and some math, a sealed 3 cuft battery box with 2-6v batteries charging at 30 amps will reach LEL in 2.4 minutes, could be off. Math is not my strong point, slept most of the time :)

This calculator say I need an air exchange every 11-12 minutes for a 3 cuft box, to meet the LEL standard of 1%. I currently use the van as the battery box so I have to do an air exchange every 1492 minutes (every 24 hrs is close enough).
https://www.sbsbattery.com/products-services/white-papers/material-handling/risks-of-unmonitored-hydrogen-in-battery-installations/battery-room-ventilation-calculator.html

So a genius would have to figure out the diameter of a hole in the top and bottom of the battery box for the hydrogen flow freely. And that's not me:)

61 - 80 of 80 Posts