Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
I became intimately familiar with the simple arrangement when I removed the helper springs from my van.
A long time ago I had a roommate/workmate who used to work in an automotive spring shop, everyday. He was intimately familiar with spring work. I've r&r'd a few rear axles and the procedure was always the same, locate the spring perch on the center bolt, period.
Search for rear axle leaf spring wheel alignment and see what you find. I'm sure people have paid for 4 wheel alignments but didn't actually get 4 wheel alignments when they have a solid rear axle on leaf springs.

On our vans if one side was 1/8" forward and one side was 1/8" back the axle would be out of alignment by about 1/4 of a degree. Formula 1 might care about that but your local expert alignment guy will laugh at you it you mention a measurement that small. The book guys can check my math but I think it's right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
First of all I want to thank everyone for chiming in giving me so much information
growing up I used to work on cars as a hobby I know a little bit around older cars

But now I have a cabinet shop and as you know in construction now I’ve been so busy I figure it’s cheaper to pay them to change the oil then for me to try to do it when I could be out running my crews
But I also don’t want to pay for services I don’t need
yesterday I took my car in to get an oil change and I had a discount coupon

there’s a new kid service writer there I asked him is there anything else that needs to get done on the recommended list
and he mentioned cabin filter slip yoke lubricant and four wheel alignment
he didn’t even go out to look at the car or anything he said these are the recommendation and they always do four wheel alignment
I noticed on his computer screen he can just click what he thinks is recommended and un click what he doesn’t
he started going down the path of other recommendation from a $50 discount coupon oil change now to $500-$1000 repairs
so I opted for the oil change cabin filter replacement slip yolk lub and four wheel alignment total of around $500
I asked him would be done by today he said yes this should take a total of three hours
so I said that’s fair
this dealership has terrible reviews on yelp but it’s close to my house so I was just too lazy to go anywhere else and how bad can it go with oil change and what not
I mentioned to the guy that hey you’re new here you’re probably help make this place better and get better reviews on yelp with better service
he said I don’t care about the reviews it is what it is people take the car to the dealer when they have issues and they get mad at us
I should’ve at that point taken my car out but I didn’t
so today I called at noon they said the car is not ready then I called at 3:30 because they close at four and I said I need to get my car so my guys can use it for work on Monday she went looking for that service writer and finally half an hour later she said your car is not ready it still needs to get worked on
so I asked her how they started anything yet and she said no so I went there to picked it up
and I talk to that service writer and he said the guys at work on a pro master it doesn’t come in on Saturday so that’s why your car didn’t get worked on
I asked him when I took it in on Friday why did he not tell me that no one will be working on your car till Monday
his answer was it’s already take it in on Monday
I said you should’ve told me on Friday that no one would be able to work on it on Saturday and I would have made other plans then letting my car sit at your place all day for nothing
so long story short don’t take it to the stevens creeks dealership it’s bad now has gotten worse

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As to the other questions my car runs and drives straight and tire wear always been pretty normal and hitting big potholes or not I don’t know I know we have a lot up here in Northern California but my guys drives it and load up the van pretty heavily so I always believe in preventative maintenance

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
Based on the write-up of your experience at the dealer - forget about anything they said, alignment, etc, and of course never go back for ANY reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes there are other dealership in the area that I should try
that’s the beauty of this area there are many dealerships around here I just need to get off my lazy butt and not pick what is conveniently next to me:)

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
739 Posts
I didn't even know we have slip yoke for our van, so if they charge you for it, you should get a refund for it. There are so many bad service writer out there and take advantage of the customer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have had several Jeep and know that they have slip yoke but didn’t know promaster had them either
luckily no work was done

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
207 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, @Teamlcl. its a bloody shame the Stevens Creek dealer is set up to rip you off rather than provide you the appropriate services. I'm in the East Bay, Hilltop CDJR did right by me on the recent recalls, timely work and no superfluous upsells. I realize that dealership is a bit far afield from SJ. I have heard good things about Fremont CDJR from a friend who has a hotrod Charger, the service writer gave her a $2000+ estimate and the mechanic had it out of the shop in 3 hours with a $600 tab. That at least speaks to their honesty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In 1988 had a Chevy Celebrity front wheel drive and took it in and they checked for 4-wheel aliment. The rear wheels had a shim to correct for out of aliment. The hub was held by 4 nuts, you remove the nuts and placed a correct shim behind the hub and retighten the nuts. This corrected the out of aliment of the rear wheels. Not sure it this would apply to the ProMaster as I have not removed the rear wheels to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Today I was getting my annual oil change and anything they recommended for my 40,000 K promaster
The service writer said I need a four wheel alignment
I always knew about the front two wheel alignment I never knew that there was a four wheel alignment is that normal for the promaster?
it’s just a strait axle that is in the back is there really an alignment for the rear
thanks again
My dealer told me I need to change the oil and service my rear differential! I highly recommend you find an experienced mechanic to work on your van.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,608 Posts
Hi,
I had a couple tires replaced recently, and since my rear tires were showing an odd wear pattern, I let them talk me into a full alignment - both ends. I questioned them on whether it was even possible to align the rear axle and they claimed it was. Part of the decision was that these guys have been in business here in Bozeman for decades and they have a very good reputation and have treated me well on previous occasions.

I have to say I'm pleased with the result. The small vibration I had in the steering wheel is completely gone and there has never been so little road noise/vibration - noticeably smoother.
So, I'm a bit of a believer in the 4 wheel alignment now.

Cost was $92.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
I questioned them on whether it was even possible to align the rear axle and they claimed it was.
Please tell me they explained how they were going to align the rear axle.

Edit - Maybe they take readings of the rear wheels and enter that into the computer which then specifies adjustments to the front wheel in consideration of where the rears are at.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
5,624 Posts
tried to find any 4 wheel Ducato alignments, I couldn't find any, they been making is version since 2006/7 if it was a thing surly there would be something on the internet

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
5,624 Posts
here's a PM axle (that no one sells) I even looked for shims for the spindles
Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Musical instrument accessory Composite material

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
tried to find any 4 wheel Ducato alignments, I couldn't find any, they been making is version since 2006/7 if it was a thing surly there would be something on the internet
Maybe they take readings of the rear wheels and enter that into the computer which then specifies adjustments to the front wheel in consideration of where the rears are at and call that a 4 wheel alignment.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,608 Posts
Please tell me they explained how they were going to align the rear axle.

Edit - Maybe they take readings of the rear wheels and enter that into the computer which then specifies adjustments to the front wheel in consideration of where the rears are at.
No - no details on they would do it.
My guess is the guy I talked had no detailed knowledge of the ProMaster, so he may have been talking generalities.
Still it did work - maybe it was just the front end that was out of alignment, or, as you say, maybe they adjust the front to account for rear axle variation?

It will be interesting to see if the odd wear pattern on the rear tires goes away.

Gary

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
5,624 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts