Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was getting my annual oil change and anything they recommended for my 40,000 K promaster
The service writer said I need a four wheel alignment
I always knew about the front two wheel alignment I never knew that there was a four wheel alignment is that normal for the promaster?
it’s just a strait axle that is in the back is there really an alignment for the rear
thanks again

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
A lot of us have removed the 2nd leaf in the back and we just bolt things back together. No alignment.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
The rear axle can get knocked out of alignment hitting a curb or deep pothole on just one side, which affects tracking (you may have seen vehicles where rear wheels are off to the side and not directly following front wheels while driving straight down the road in front of you). You can have it checked while they do the front, or measure the rear axle to make sure it's perpendicular to the frame rails and equidistant front to back on both sides yourself.

Example from a recent thread: Rear axle crooked?

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
737 Posts
If your van only have 40k km, I think it's too early for any wheel alignment. Unless you have some sort of steering issues. I think the service person is just trying to up sale you. In terms of 4 wheel alignment, I think it's normal. There is some adjustments for the rear wheels.

Reactions: Eagleod

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
@Uvan - Age or mileage has nothing to do with it since any good whack from a pothole can throw it off. My PM was out of alignment very early on, possibly from the factory since my tires showed excessive wear on the outside from the beginning.

Also, steering is not a reliable indicator of alignment. Mine tracked well and didn't pull but excessive toe-in ground the outer edges off more quickly.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The rear can be aligned, but alignment problems are more common in the front. Did they say they noticed visible signs of poor alignment like uneven tire wear? More likely "needs an alignment" is their way of saying "we think it's time to check it".

The internet tells me the folks who make money off it recommend checking it every 5-10,000 miles. Those with no financial interest recommend checking more like every 2-3 years. But I suspect many of us don't get it checked until we notice problems with uneven tire wear or steering.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The rear axle can get knocked out of alignment hitting a curb or deep pothole on just one side, which affects tracking (you may have seen vehicles where rear wheels are off to the side and not directly following front wheels while driving straight down the road in front of you). You can have it checked while they do the front, or measure the rear axle to make sure it's perpendicular to the frame rails and equidistant front to back on both sides yourself.

Example from a recent thread: Rear axle crooked?
exactly

·
Registered
256 Posts
Today I was getting my annual oil change and anything they recommended for my 40,000 K promaster
The service writer said I need a four wheel alignment
I always knew about the front two wheel alignment I never knew that there was a four wheel alignment is that normal for the promaster?
it’s just a strait axle that is in the back is there really an alignment for the rear
thanks again
Most items on these service intervals can be knocked out DIY in a few minutes while parked outside an Autozone store for little money. Unrelated somewhat but this has application here, I think Subaru dealers are the worst when it comes to unnecessary/fictitious maintenance of vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
The rear axle can get knocked out of alignment hitting a curb or deep pothole on just one side
The rear can be aligned,
How do they align a rear axle on a Promaster exactly? The clearance around the centering bolt is miniscule and I doubt it would have any effect on the alignment.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,743 Posts
Some cars are designed to allow shims to be inserted to change angles. Don't know if this is an option on the ProMaster.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
Have not tried it on the PM but have had to have a 4x4 pickup rear axle aligned. @ohecht has that rear alignment issue but don't know if it's been taken care of yet. Rear axle crooked?

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
Have not tried it on the PM but have had to have a 4x4 pickup rear axle aligned. @ohecht has that rear alignment issue but don't know if it's been taken care of yet. Rear axle crooked?
I don't think he has confirmed that his axle is actually out of alignment. He was looking at the gaps to the plastic trim.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,255 Posts
Some cars are designed to allow shims to be inserted to change angles. Don't know if this is an option on the ProMaster.
I have installed shims for pinion angle correction but don't know how that changes alignment.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
If that were true alignments would be as common as oil changes, or more. They aren't that fragile.
Agreed, but I'm talking about one of those monster 6-8" 'sinkholes' you occasionally see, especially up north there where you are. My rear axle issue was self-inflicted by backing (way too fast) into a high curb I didn't see and the truck came to a sudden and somewhat 'violent' stop. At least the frame was ok.

On a side note, I bought a truck from a dealer in Mesa, AZ years ago that ate through my tires. When I took it to a tire/alignment shop to have it checked and get new tires on the front, they said they couldn't align the front, or the rear, due to a bent frame. Found out it had been the dealers parts delivery vehicle and been in a bad wreck. When I took it back to them they gave me what I paid for it in a trade for another vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,583 Posts
I don't think he has confirmed that his axle is actually out of alignment. He was looking at the gaps to the plastic trim.
Yes, still waiting to hear what the status is on that.

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
207 Posts

In post #6 of the above referenced thread @[email protected] accurately described the wiggle room in the rear axle/spring relationship. The springs are the fixed front to rear "rails" to which the axle is attached. The idea, I assume, is for the axle to be perpendicular to the line of travel of the (correctly aligned) front wheels. I became intimately familiar with the simple arrangement when I removed the helper springs from my van. Realizing there was the chance of misalignment I tapped each side of the axle rearwards in the crudest attempt at alignment before tightening the ubolts. I didn't measure for evidence of alignment as I didn't have the means to do so but I've experienced no tracking issues and the rear tires have worn evenly in the few thousand miles since pulling the spring.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Most items on these service intervals can be knocked out DIY in a few minutes while parked outside an Autozone store for little money. Unrelated somewhat but this has application here, I think Subaru dealers are the worst when it comes to unnecessary/fictitious maintenance of vehicles.
Agreed Bromaster, I've had to start asking if a service is necessary. I had a vehicle in recently, they took off the trans service because I'd already had it done, and tried to add the fuel injector service "in place of that". Like what.. they suddenly got dirty after you took the other service off?!?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts