Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3M Stripe Off wheel (debadging)

Used the 3M Stripe Off wheel today to completely debadge the van. A while back I removed the red promaster badge on the passenger door by prying it up and for the next hour rubbing, peeling, scraping and such to get the black glue off and was a genuine pain in the keester. Even after I got it all off there was some kinda discoloration to the paint which was a bit disturbing. Looked okay except for that. I was gonna just put it back on and cover it up but the reason I removed it in the first place was that the squirrel that applied the emblem at the factory got it really tilted and didn't line up with the horizontal line on the side of the van and looked bad.:(

So I purchased the 3M Stripe Off Wheel about 27 bucks and gave it a try. I was absolutely amazed, 'twas magical. I started at 3:20 in the afternoon and by 4:45 I was finished and putting away my tools. About an hour and a half! All badges removed and all the glue perfectly removed without a trace of the badge ever being there. And as a plus I went back over the area that was discolored from removing the first badge and voila it cleaned it up perfectly. I used my Ryobi 18 volt variable speed drill on low speed and with very light pressure against the metal and it just removed the glue. I used 30lb test monofilament fishing line and heat from my wife's hairdryer to easily remove the emblems. I think 20lb test mono would work but most likely would break a lot. The big Ram's head on the back took a little more time as it has a larger amount of glue but it still wasn't hard to do. I had to heat it several times with the hair dryer. I don't think a heat gun is necessary for the emblems on the Promaster but mine is a new 2018 and the emblems probably haven't been on there all that long. To finish up I used a little squirt of the orange automotive GooGone on a rag and wiped the area which totally and effortlessly removed all the remaining residue with just a few wipes. Afterwards I used a wet towel with dawn detergeant to clean up the GooGone and then wiped dry with a clean towel. No need for wax, looked factory glossy finish. Perfect!

My wife and I both agreed that we like the debadged look. Additionally now there won't be all those emblems and letters to hinder washing and or waxing the van. And maybe I'll even get better gas mileage. :D Am glad I took the time to do this and am convinced that the cost of the wheel is well worth it having experienced removing the first promaster badge without the wheel.

My fears going in was that the wheel would abrade the finish....it did not at all. The wheel is a rubbery material similar to those rubber eraser/cleaning blocks used to clean your sanding belts only denser rubber. Also was concerned that the rotation of the wheel would get the surface hot and mar the finish somehow.....it did not at all. You must keep the wheel at a pretty low speed which keeps it from heating up. The slow speed allows the stickiness of the wheel to pick up the glue and do its magic. It wasn't even barely warm. Too fast of a speed and the wheel will have a tendency to just skip over the glue not having time to pick it up off the surface. Instructions say to dress the wheel before use. I did so by using some coarse grit sandpaper and rotating the wheel on it until the surface of wheel was evenly scuffed. Took maybe a minute to do so. This aids in the wheel's ability to pick up the glue from the metal surface of the van.

Oh yeah, the wheel took off the vinyl stick-on lettering the dealer put on the rear advertising their dealership. Didn't attempt to scrape off the letters, just applied the wheel to the vinyl letters and it removed them pronto followed by the same clean up to make it look like it was never there.

Highly recommend this wheel for debadging! Be sure if you get a wheel get one that comes with a mandrel to attach it to your drill.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063VT0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gee, just noticed that the price went down to $19.51 on Amazon for this wheel as of 1-7-2018. :| Guess I'll have to return it and buy another one at the lower price. :D

Am getting new chrome letters for "Ulysses" and will install somewhere on the rear cargo doors.....hopefully by Tuesday. Will post pic......if it looks good. ;)

Windows are being installed for passenger side sliding door and rear cargo doors tomorrow by a local shop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stripped "Ulysses" of all his badges and added one of his own on the rear door panel where the old Ram Promaster badging used to be. Hard to get a good photo of chrome. Got my windows installed today, looks great! I'd post a pic but they look just like everyone else's OEM windows. Van looks whole lot better and I can now see out of the slider door which was without the window very problematic in traffic situations.:)

Chrome letters were purchased online at Emblem Art. I got the "Domed Regular" letters that are 1.14 inches tall. Cost was $2.50 per letter which was $17.50 plus 4 dollars shipping to Austin for total of $21.50 through Paypal. Ordered on Thursday and got the letters on the following Monday. These letters are a stock item and are of OEM quality and look. They have a slightly domed surface. Very nice. Very aggressive glue on the backs of the letters and am confident it would take the same operation I used to remove the OEM badges to remove these someday. They do custom emblems also.
http://emblemart.com/newsite/chrome-letters/

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the strip-off-wheel suggestion, I've got one on order for debadging purposes. Hope I'll be as successful as you were...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts