Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Promaster just doesn't fit inside!
So at what temperature can we have a 3M 90 spraying party outside?
Yes I did Google but didn't see an easy quick answer.
We could always build a humongous plastic tent and heat it :)

So far en route-
shower
floor
windows
insulation pre-cut kit
sweat swivels
dynoliner 1/2 inch for the ceiling
dynoliner 1/8 in for the floor
dynomat for wheel wells
seat swivels

Already here- Pioneer navi + camera, and replacement mirror with second cam.

Underneath our overhead bed is to be an industrial slider, it slides both ways, into the 'den'
and of course outside. There are to be two industrial sliders side by side. On one the Arctic Coolers and/or
the ARB cooler or the ARB cooler and one Arctic (we've discovered the ARB can make ice for the cooler!!!)
on the other Slidemaster will be the 'potty' which slides into the 'den' when needed.
Both Slidermasters slide in and out the back when the doors are open, there will be the Pelicans with the
cameras and lens and plenty of room for other stuff.

Above the two Slidemasters will be a shelf and above that shelf the platform bed.
The shelf will have Rubbermaid totes (or the Walmart generics) for closes. This shelf accessible in the den
and the outside. On the shelf apparent when you open the back doors will be the shower unit (Boss XB20).
We measured the Slidemasters and plenty of room for a Pelican and a 5 gallon water supply for the Boss.

While I'm at it. When you open the sliding door and look straight in you see a cabinet with the elctrical system
below, folding work table and shelves above. Swivel seats and a pedestal table.

·
Registered
117 Posts
most adhesives and paints seem to say 50 degrees minimum. As I look at the thermometer that seems to hover at 49 degrees F... ggrrrrr

I had some bad experiences working with 3M90 at above 90 degree F and found weldwood original in a paint can worked better at more varied temps and had zero over spray since you slap it on with a paint brush. Slapping on with a brush was a pain in itself but was a bit more precise. You might want to experiment and see what works for you in the temps you have.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I asked 3M that same question last week and here is their response: "Application Temperature: For best results the temperature of the adhesive and the surfaces being bonded should be between 60°-80°F (16°-27°C). Temperatures outside this range may affect bonding range and sprayability."

As we haven't seen anything above the high 20s for awhile, I can't have a party:)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Run the van with the heat on full blast for a little while and I suspect you could get the interior up to something the 90 would work at. Yeah the walls will be cold, but it would probably work. If your other options are drive to Florida or wait till spring, I think it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome answers, thanks to all.
Especially WaterCamper for the stated numbers from the manufacturer.
Kip, we've been in Florida two times in the last month....we paddled camped on the Suwanee where it was below freezing first two mornings!
Second time we flew much further south to image birds--should have taken the PM and got some things done!

We do have yet another option....let some air out of the rear tires, put up plastic on two sides of a carport, get a jet kerosene heater from Lowes and have at it.
There would be no roof work that way, just inches of clearance, so the fans will still be an issue but the insulating can begin.

All good things in time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Maybe call your salesman to see if there is a detail bay you could park in for 1/2 a day? Maybe ask around at tire shops or repair garages if you could sneak into an empty bay for a couple of hours?

Have everything laid out - I solvent wiped all interior sheet metal to be covered before gluing, isopropyl alcohol and a roll of paper towels & also degreased the ISO foam boards, OEM's use silicone like mad to reduce wear and tear on material handling equipment plus it saves them energy costs.

I've used 3M 90 at 35°F for small jobs, if none of the below works for you and the van interior falls apart repeatedly... it ain't my fault, why you believe this spider poop on the web stuff anyhow?

Okay.... 3M 90 using propane as a propellant meaning pre-warm the can to get the spray pattern at optimum, a good soak in tap water NOT too hot to keep your hands in, the 3M nozzle is magic with the way it throws strands down in an oscillating pattern, so spraying from warm can in cold air you might want to keep the glues distance traveling through air at the outside of the instructed distance to give it extra flying time to lose more solvents. Keep can warm, wrapped or something. Spray 1/4 or so of can down then reheat.

3m 90 carrier solvents Dimethyl Ether, Cyclohexane , Acetone don't care - all have flash points below zero F° - the binder component is trade secret but is benign toward how fast those gnarly solvents evaporate away... Oh yeah, flash points below zero F°? No sparks or open flame, eh?

Cold will give you a lot more time to fiddle around, which is good for the bond: "For best results apply Spray 90 Adhesive to both bonding surfaces. Bonds can be made approximately 30 seconds after application. To achieve high initial strength allow 2 to 3 minutes before bonding for ultimate initial strength allow 5 to 10 minutes before bonding."

So... what you want is the sprayed liquid to become gummy, even to the point of almost no 'drag' from light fingertip contact. And keep pressing, patting, massaging the board until the noises (snap crackle and pops) of glued areas pulling apart on pressure release ceases. Then onto next panel.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Medicineman, Thanks for the idea of the Boss X20, I hadn't heard about that before. I checked out the video and it looks like a good option for a hot water/shower solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Medicineman, I recently had a limited time window for working on my van and no good indoor options. I used 3M90 to affix Thinsulate insulation to the van walls at outside ambient temps between 20-35F. I think Zoomyn's advice is solid. I used a small space heater inside the van to warm things a little, however, the walls were still cold to the touch. The 90 was kept inside a heated shop while pieces were cut and prepared for installation. When ready, The can was brought out to the open garage bay where I was working, sprayed on the insulation and the vehicle walls and returned to the shop until the next pieces were ready. I used the high setting on the nozzle and held the can probably 12-14 inches from the surface to be sprayed. The time for the adhesive to become tacky was definitely more than 30 seconds, probably closer to 2-3 min. I've had no problems with bonding (so far).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Salamander, great info. I think we have found a large warm place (I have to buy one of those kerosene heat heaters though) that should do the trick for us; but good to know your experience if something falls through. I'm going to add one of those kerosene jet heaters anyway and if I had to I'd build a plastic quonset/pvc over the PM until this phase is complete.
Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts