Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its clear that in the budget a new B just isnt going to happen. And the only way to get a B for us is to do it ourselves with a used Promaster. I dont mind doing this, its just obviously time consuming.

Anyway.... Id like some input on this floorplan. The height of the cross bed is such that it would be a easy thing to get over when going to the rear. And I think this bed configuration really opens up the living space. The cross bed I imagine would take up around the same position as the water tank seat in the Travato G.

The beds should be comfortable for us at only 5'8 tall. That long countertop I want to make so that there is room under the one end to give my dog extra laying room. One fantastic fan in main area and a roof AC. Probably just the smaller fan in the bathroom. Roof solar. Dry bath is in the plan, but might change. We talked about just enclosing the toilet but simply extending that countertop all the way to the rear where the shower would be.

A table is one thing im unsure of. I could either push the galley down making it smaller to fit a table near the L of the beds. Or just use those wooden portable tables.

I also still have to research what water, grey and black tank sizes and locations people think work best and how they are mounted. This build isnt happening until the start of 2018 but I wanted to start thinking it all out now.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I don’t like it. I can’t believe you wouldn't be better of moving the galley/cabinet forward to half block the door like many Euro Vans do, and then put the cross bed against the partition, if you must do the bed across at all. I would do bunks as Steve’s backroader here has done or KeepOnVaning has just completed in a renovation. It makes lots more space and they fit well. Keep the forward part of the van open to enter and to sit using the front seats with swivels.
Your van is a 159” right? 3500 is the weight class but doesn’t tell us the length.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The van will be the 3500 159" with extended body.

We want a seating/bed area that looks out the sliding door. And then I want to do a sliding screen door.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
Contemplate: It's raining. It was raining when you stopped last, so your shoes (and maybe your pants, too) are wet/muddy. Do you really want to take your shoes (and maybe your pants) off while confined to the driver's seat so you can crawl over the bed without soiling it--or even worse, get out into the rain to go in another door?

Also, you say "we" but that looks like a single bed. EDIT: Now I see the second bed. Would one be higher than the other? Could the horizontal bed fold onto the longitudinal bed to clear the isle?

I can, however, envision a tri-fold Murphy bed that folds up behind the driver if you have storage space somewhere for the bedding and don't mind making and unmaking the bed every day. At least then the passenger seat could swivel.

One of the early builds on this forum put the bed in that position. It transformed into a bench, IIRC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could cut the middle section of that bed out to maintain a aisle during the day. Either have a table then between the two seats that pushes down at night to become the middle section of the bed. Or just use the method of two pieces of wood that slide out from one of the bases to allow the middle section to be placed on it.

Im also a bit intrigued by the bunk setup mentioned above. In my floorplan that is two "twin" beds in a L shape. How Steve did it with the top bunk folding up during the day would still allow the bottom bed to be used as a seating area.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maybe

the bed is up high and you can get from the front going underneath of it?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
You are committed to that bed aren’t you? We here support anyone doing anything they want but if you have made up your mind just say so and we will stop telling why it is a bad idea. Go make it. You will be fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. Just was my best thought on how to get the setup I want. But like I said above im intrigued by the bunk beds now. How Steve did them is pretty ingenious. I can push the bunk beds as far forward as possible on the drive side. Have it like Steves where the top bunk folds up during the day allowing the bottom bunk to act as a sofa. And that setup allows me to still put a seat near the door, like the 59G, with a proper place for a table.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, im pretty much in love with the bunk idea now after another 15 minutes of thinking. Thanks for that. Rethinking this a bit....a bunk would allow me to do a separate dinette area, which was something we wanted but didnt think we had room for.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
One other thing. You said 159” EXTENDED? You picture is of a 159” not the extended I think. the 159” has 140” of body to build in and the extended has 154” IIRC. That would make a lot of difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea on Sportsmobile their extended body lists 126" of cargo length. So I just chose the longest one they have on their site and am assuming its near right. I know theres supposed to be about a 15" difference.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
We have the dinky little 136” but put our dinette behind the driver’s seat and the galley partially in the doorway so we can cook looking out the open (or screen door someday) and sit to admire the view outside as our dinette is raised to see over the galley. We didn’t want to be stuck in the back of the van as we are awake and traded that for sleeping back there with windows on the side and back. A dinette is a wonderful thing as there are days you get stuck in the van, read, computer, play cards (we don’t) etc.
Your extended van would be so long all would work and the galley could be back of the slider too.
Remain open to ideas and push the edges of the box, then go to a refrigerator store and about 4 boxs and mock it up in your driveway. The neighbors will laugh for weeks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sportsmobile lists 106", 126" and 140". So unless they just made a error it does seem like the longest one they offer is the 159" wheelbase without the extention. But looking at where they have the wheel wells it sure seems like they are talking about the extended version of the van. Either way I could make it work. If that would fit in the 2500 159" then even better. Id save money.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 159 EXT is 160 inches at the floor. Sportsmobile takes away a few inches at the back (4" I think) because of the diagonal corners. I think the rest is taken away because of the angled seat backs for driver/passenger. So you cant build all the way to the step up without hitting the seat backs at waist level.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The 159 EXT is 160 inches at the floor. Sportsmobile takes away a few inches at the back (4" I think) because of the diagonal corners. I think the rest is taken away because of the angled seat backs for driver/passenger. So you cant build all the way to the step up without hitting the seat backs at waist level.
This is correct! I have the 3500 extended.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts