1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Why would you and why might it be a good idea for me?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Why would you and why might it be a good idea for me?
Longer life and a lower wattage used. I used LEDs in a motorcycle that had a notoriously under powered generator and it helped keep the battery top up a lot. This one has a fan, so that puts a mechanical device in the loop...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lasts much longer. Supposedly brighter and whiter light. As easy to install as a OEM halogen. NOT advocating doing it - I haven't found someone else who has yet.

These use about 35w vs Halogen/OEM 55w and are SUPPOSEDLY brighter. If you are not satisfied with how bright the stock headlamps are - I am not - then there are also 55w LED options that are much brighter, however about $110 for the pair.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Still using my original bulbs after 3 years and 80k miles. I see no reason to change them either.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
411 Posts
One thing to look out for: the reflectors are set up for a filament at a very precisely controlled location. If the LED chip isn't at that exact location, the focus of the assembly will be screwed up. I tried to put LEDs into my Grand Marquis, and yes they were bright - they were also all over the place on light, putting very little on the road, and very much into oncoming drivers' eyes. I removed them; I refuse to be "that guy". Indeed, many of the crappy LED conversion on the road that cause people to hate bright headlights are due to morons putting these bulbs in, not checking the focus with a critical eye, and making the road a worse place.

That said, it may be easier on the Promaster, due to it having a separate bulb for low and high - that makes getting the chip in the right place more likely. I just haven't taken the time to do it, and test it out, but I want to - Dr. Hawking needs to investigate how roads like US-60 through eastern New Mexico can suck the light right out of your headlights with no trace.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Good idea to stay out of Area 51 with the stock bulbs, I guess?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I find the low beams on my 14 PM leave a gap in front of the vehicle that gets no light. A function of them being mounted so high, I suppose. A easy kit to put fog lights into the bumper openings would be what I want.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I find the low beams on my 14 PM leave a gap in front of the vehicle that gets no light. A function of them being mounted so high, I suppose. A easy kit to put fog lights into the bumper openings would be what I want.

OEM fog lights can be found on eBay for ~$100. I paid my dealer $65 for the install and they had it done in about an hour.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2016 promaster low beams are pathetic. I always use my fog lamps with the headlights to supplement. How long do these LED lights last? Are they truly plug and play with no modifications?

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
My 2016 promaster low beams are pathetic. I always use my fog lamps with the headlights to supplement. How long do these LED lights last? Are they truly plug and play with no modifications?
Agreed. Fog or driving lights most definitely can enhance nighttime driving with a Promaster. I’m not sure if it’s because the lights are so high up or the bulbs are not bright enough but peripheral vision is extremely poor on dark streets for sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Going to try these out -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-H7-L...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They claim they are plug and play, no errors or fitment problems for my 2014 Promaster. So, I am doubtful but will try :D

Any LED conversions I've tried on the PM have failed so far. Replacing a headlight bulb on these is EASY compared to many others. Took me about 20min last time.
What was the result? I've tried different bulbs from auto part stores with same results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Doesn't that large rear-facing heat-sink on the aftermarket LED prevent you from putting the access cover on?

If you leave the cover off (or cut a hole in it), you compromise the seal, and the headlight may slowly fill up with dust, moisture, etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So sorry - I have them but haven't got around to installing them. Now that the weather is crappy I'll catch up on garage projects. IF they fit, they'll be great.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
411 Posts
What I don't understand is why a modern vehicle would have incandescent lamps in the first place. I could understand were my van a 2004, but it's a 2016 van - there shouldn't be a filament in the whole thing. I also don't understand why somebody doesn't make a complete headlight assembly replacement, so you could just pull the old and install the new, already set up with heat sinking, properly focused (a pet peeve of mine on after-market LED conversions - many are bright but badly focused), and ready to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got around to trying these LEDs and they are not a fit. The clips don't match up. On another thread here a person used gasket sealant.

Staying with 5500k H7 Sylvanias for now. I totally agree with Wowbagger, but like everything else in life it comes down to $$$. There is service revenue to be made in replacing lights and getting someone into the dealer for up-sales.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Our van was designed and introduced in 2006. That is why.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts