Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm designing a camper van buildout (PM/high roof/136) and looking for info on how to install and 2nd row passenger seats. I'm thinking about Freeman Seating as the seat supplier. They have a specification for installing though it's geared towards a passenger van with a lot of seats rather than a camper van with a single (bench) seat added. I'm looking for other ideas providing reinforcements for a safe seat. I'm looking at fixed and/or foldable seats from Freeman. Anybody have experience installing 3rd-party 2-row seats in the promaster? - Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob,
I used a Freedman BV folding seat mounted sideways in my build.... I doubled up 1/8" steel bar to form a 1/4" backer.

You can see the install at www.vancave.wordpress.com
Beautiful conversion and beautiful documentation. Kudos!

Am I to assume that you put the 2x1/8 steel bar under the floor of the van? - Rob

·
Registered
468 Posts
i used seats out of a ford transit van got 2 sets of tracks and 2 double seats with seat belts for $450 on ebay. the guy was local so I was able to pick them up. The 2 seat set is small and more geared toward kids and works well for us. my kids are 9 and 6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Charger,

I'm not looking for seats per se, but looking for what are the "best practices" on securing them in the Promaster with proper reinforcements to make safe in a crash and me as an outfitter trying to limit my product liability risk. - Rob

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
251 Posts
Beautiful conversion and beautiful documentation. Kudos!

Am I to assume that you put the 2x1/8 steel bar under the floor of the van? - Rob
The location of my seat made the install difficult... the mounting bolts straddle the drivers side frame member. My doubled up bracing is on top of the floor with large fender washers underneath. After seeing Shaggy's awesome install, I may go back and try to add a backer underneath on each side of the framing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts