Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
After over 25 years with conventional 1 ton extended vans (chevy, econoline, and ram) I am seriously considering a promaster!
A bit concerned to take the leap as there are a few of you with some serious problems and I put in a lot of long highway miles.
Overall, my ram vans have been overall the best:), chevy absolutely horrific:eek:, econoline meh:|.
I need more space! My vans are just too small!!!!
That's why I am considering Promaster, plus I love the attic!
I have found a few at dealers that would work for me.... would really like the additional driver side slider as well as a van that is not a great white! So far, no long distance luck getting a decent price so I may or may not be able to make this happen. Any advice is welcomed....there are no 2014's anywhere close to me that matches what I would really like but I am willing to drive (or fly).
In Love the idea of the massive 3500 EX hightop but not loving the price so might settle for a 2500 high! (or buy a stripped down 3500 tall and long stripped down without the beloved extra door as they just are not out there:crying:.
Always liked biggest van possible but hating 12-13 mpg.
I have been stalking this forum for a while so decided to cross over to the dark side. Everybody here seems really cool and willing to share so looking forward to learning more and adding where I can.
PS
don't say anything bad about dogs to me-just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
I don't think very many people here have had any serious problems. Someone had a bad flex plate experience that seemed to be aggravated by a poor dealer repair job but as we haven't heard back from him recently so perhaps it was repaired to his satisfaction.

Squeaky brakes can be annoying but easily fixed. I personally, in 10k miles , have experienced no problems other than the noisy brakes. Chrysler seems to be having a parts supply problem unfortunately for some unknown reason and the shortage of rail cars is causing havoc with all the manufacturers, not to mention grain haulers.

I would think finding a long, high 3500 with a drivers side sliding door, not in white, would be impossible at any price and the best prices appear to be going to those that can buy off the dealers lot. If you really want or need everything you are looking for I think you have to order it and be prepared for a long wait for delivery.

I wish you luck they are great vans and I have no regrets at all and like you, I've owned them all (including a Sprinter) and the Promaster is my favorite with the Chevy Safari coming in a distant second.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome. I can add a couple of points:

1. Don't rule out the 2500 or the non-extended. You pay an awful lot for that extra 16" and so far as we can tell there is zero mechanical difference between the 2500 and the 3500. The 2500 actually has a higher payload capacity, due to the loss of the the 16".

2. You can beat the dealer up for a few percent, but basically you should feel okay about paying invoice price. Go to truecar.com and it will configurate and spit out the invoice price. If a dealer doesn't accept invoice, walk and go to another dealer. The PM franchises are only given to select Ram dealers, but so far as I know you can buy from ANY FCA dealer and by law they can requisition units from surrounding dealerships.

3. FCA gives you $1000 up fitters allowance on the PM. If the dealer says they don't, walk and go to another dealer.

4. Don't worry about service - there's nothing on the PM that any dealer or independent can't handle. My mechanic said "it's just a minivan under there, only a lot beefier".

5. You'll get 15 city and 19 highway under almost all conditions.

6. The brake squeal is the only real "flaw" with the vehicle. I've chosen to just live with it until it's time for a brake job.

7. For my $300, the Uconnect 5.0 was the bargain of the century. It comes with hands free, bluetooth, CD player (who has cds anymore?) and includes the backup camera. It also gives you better access to the two odometers and range/mileage estimates. I'd have paid $300 just for the **** camera.

8. You might be better off buying it in white and paying for someone to wrap it or paint on a mural on the side. I'm partial to a naked lady riding a unicorn, but it's your dime. Seems like 90% of the PMs are white. I've seen exactly 1 black one and 1 red one on the road. If you want something other than white, you may have to order it, and you may wait months for that order to be filled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found one 2 that might work and might get a good price too but have to travel for them! Both are black but after 32 years driving white blobs could be a great change and they have the options I want too! One is in Texas, land of good truck deals and maybe I can do a little better.
Not needing graphics and bought a loss leader car a year ago that was ick white, which has only added to my anguish. Saved a few k so it worked OK.
Gonna have to pass on naked gals and unicorns....
Don't the 3500 have beefier suspension, brakes, etc.?
thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Backup camera is $250 and requires Uconnect option at $300. $550 total.

It's still a good deal. The Uconnect is nice.

I think a lot of people are paying under invoice because of the factory incentives, that always seem to be running. I paid under invoice.

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
Uconnect is an overpriced POS in my opinion! By the time you add everything in you could buy a top notch aftermarket unit that you could see ( the screen on the Uconnect is the size of my iPhone ) and use. It's a good $200 unit with GPS and the BU camera that's about it, not the actual cost of $8-1000 esp if you get the sat radio option. A total rip off!

But that's how most manufacturers radios are. I can't wait till I can replace mine with something that's actually usable.

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
The largest radio that you can get in a Promaster is the Connect 5 (what I have) the screen measures 5" diagonal. There is a Connect 7 but it's not available in the Promaster for some unknown reason! The cheapie is the Connect 3 that doesn't have GPS, BU camera, etc. it also comes in the Promaster. My iPhone 4 (oldie but goodie) measures 5" diagonally, admittedly the screen is 3.5" diagonally but as you can see from the two photos the width of the iPhone is the same as the Connect 5. The new iPhone 6 & 6 plus is actually bigger than the Connect 5!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kip, you mentioned truecar.com for invoice price. I just went there & I didn't see invoice price. I got a truecar estimate which is about 10% off of MSRP.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

1. Don't rule out the 2500 or the non-extended. You pay an awful lot for that extra 16" and so far as we can tell there is zero mechanical difference between the 2500 and the 3500. The 2500 actually has a higher payload capacity, due to the loss of the the 16".

.....cut......
What is the cost adder? 16 inches of length adds about 8 square feet, and that can be a lot of extra room.

I'm personally biased because I want the biggest van I can justify.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
236" vs 250" length. You can stack 30 square blocks 1 foot by 1 foot. (being conservative) .
Also has rear sway bar for tall heavy loads.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really appreciated the thoughts of others on this forum as they helped me figure out my needs when shopping for my Promaster, so here are some of mine:

The U Connect 5 is an integral part of the vehicles central nervous system. A lot of Dodges are like this where you can not swap out units or have options. You can add amps and speaker after the unit if you need more. I love that high mounted rear cam and I can live with the display size. It is not industry leading size but big enough to do the job.

Dealers in Ohio are selling at a good 10% or more under window sticker before sales tax, and after rebates on the 2014

I choose the 159" not extended tall version 2500 to replace my Ford E-250 extended for the following reasons:
E250 EXT- 236" overall length 159" WB Promaster(Not ext) 236" overall length
Cubic feet of cargo space 230 for the Ford 460 for the Promaster.
Cargo floor length- Ford almost 11 feet, PM 12 feet.

Note that I am describing my old conventional Ford not a new Transit van.

I decided that double the space was enough for me and not having a longer vehicle will matter a lot in garages and parking spaces. People will surely find a way to hit anything sticking out.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
The U Connect 5 is an integral part of the vehicles central nervous system. A lot of Dodges are like this where you can not swap out units or have options.
Um, how did you come up with that? It's a stereo deck. You can easily swap it for another brand radio like Kenwood or Pioneer and everything will still work fine.

Dealers in Ohio are selling at a good 10% or more under window sticker before sales tax, and after rebates on the 2014
Only 10% under window sticker? Then they are making a killing compared to almost every dealer I have called.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Um, how did you come up with that? It's a stereo deck. You can easily swap it for another brand radio like Kenwood or Pioneer and everything will still work fine.

Only 10% under window sticker? Then they are making a killing compared to almost every dealer I have called.
Hello Jostalli, The information I offered about the U connect in the Promaster was from the dealer when I tried to upgrade my unit. I asked not only the dealer that sold me the van but another where I know the service manager. I figure it was the gospel as I was literally trying to spend more money on my van as I was under budget (for the first time in my life!) But it is possible that they were speaking only within the context of units they offered, not aftermarket. Have you or anyone else you know successfully swapped to an upgrade aftermarket unit? If so, I would like to know what model. I might get bored with mine someday.

I see that a lot of people are having trouble finding an aftermarket alarm system for the Promaster. I have not tried that yet. If you are right about the radio then hopefully that is not a problem. I will know soon.

I paid $30,700. including all rebates,destination charges, paperwork charges, etc. (but before sales tax) on a van with a sticker of $35,700. That is the "or more" I mentioned. The 10% was where the other dealers started. My pricing was $200 below Dodge employee pricing as I had that option too. This is Ohio and the model was a 2014 on the lot. There are a lot of pricing factors nationwide. I was not hellbent on lowest price possible as this van had exactly what I wanted and none of the pricey options that I would have removed like a double passenger seat and a cargo partition. I "built" a van on ramtrucks.com and found one that was 95% of my choices on a lot so I consider myself lucky. I needed a van fast too. My old Ford had bad plates and no heat. It is in the 30s here now!!! Take care.

·
Registered
62 Posts
THanks, Kip

Thanks for posting this, Kip. Very helpful.
:)Ben aka Promaster Pondering

2. You can beat the dealer up for a few percent, but basically you should feel okay about paying invoice price. Go to truecar.com and it will configurate and spit out the invoice price. If a dealer doesn't accept invoice, walk and go to another dealer. The PM franchises are only given to select Ram dealers, but so far as I know you can buy from ANY FCA dealer and by law they can requisition units from surrounding dealerships.

3. FCA gives you $1000 up fitters allowance on the PM. If the dealer says they don't, walk and go to another dealer.

4. Don't worry about service - there's nothing on the PM that any dealer or independent can't handle. My mechanic said "it's just a minivan under there, only a lot beefier".

6. The brake squeal is the only real "flaw" with the vehicle. I've chosen to just live with it until it's time for a brake job.

7. For my $300, the Uconnect 5.0 was the bargain of the century. It comes with hands free, bluetooth, CD player (who has cds anymore?) and includes the backup camera. It also gives you better access to the two odometers and range/mileage estimates. I'd have paid $300 just for the **** camera.

8. You might be better off buying it in white and paying for someone to wrap it or paint on a mural on the side. I'm partial to a naked lady riding a unicorn, but it's your dime. Seems like 90% of the PMs are white. I've seen exactly 1 black one and 1 red one on the road. If you want something other than white, you may have to order it, and you may wait months for that order to be filled.

·
Registered
62 Posts
PS re lady on a unicorn

PS re lady on a unicorn: By any chance does this naked lady on a unicorn have tattoos of naked ladies holding swords? If so, sorry Kip.. She's mine:).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts