Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know there are not a lot of rim options for the Promaster. After a lot of internet trolling and some backyard machining I ended up with the following:

x9 Titanium Gunmetal Rial W10X 20x9

235/45R20 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico

The rims are still hubcentric which I believe is very important when maxing out load ratings. To make them fit I had to machine the centerbore, enlarge the rim lug holes by 1 mm and machine rims from spherical lug to conical lug style. I have been using them for a month now and they are holding up fine. The load ratings for the rims and tires are maxed out and this setup would not be appropriate if you where hauling around a lot of weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rims are aftermarket Porsche cayenne rims with the center bore routed out. I used a router with a rabbiting bit for the center bore, a 5/8 drill bit to increase the lug diameter and a 1" 60" countersink to machine the rim to accept the conical OEM lugs. It was actually a lot easier than i expected as a 1/8" rabbit bit opened up the center bore to a tight fit on the rim. There where even all ready machined voids in the rim so the stock locating pins which keep the brake rotor and hub aligned could stay on! It was meant to be. This web page really helped me zero in on the rims:

http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...l2=235-45-20X9ET53&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Great mod! I'm sure (in spite of what the naysayer say) you will enjoy many happy miles with this mod. It's good to see people take the inititive and figure things out to suit their needs and wants instead of just following the heard mentality!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Alright, now I have to add sexy rims, low profiles and lowering to my list! If Fiat/Chrysler offered that as an option package I know it'd sell. Looks right!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments. The rear end is lowered using the axle flip method. I then purchased the boss airbag kit which went on quite easily. I run the bags at about 20 lbs which raises the rear end up an inch or so but more importantly makes the ride much smoother. I guess I'm fairly mechanically inclined but all of these mods are fairly simple and doable with ordinary tools a router being the most specialized.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Tell us more about the bags. Whats the raise/lower range? I assume they install over or in place of the jounce bumpers? Cost? Install time? Do you adjust them on the fly or what?

My app for them would be ride height and load leveling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I purchased my Boss airbags from:
http://www.airsuspension.ca

They are the main distributer for North America. They are in Canada but mine shipped quick with no duty or customs hassles. In fact the got all the way to Hawaii in less than a week, which I didn't expect.

The owner has a promaster and helped develop the promaster kit. I really don't know much about airbags but I followed the directions and only had to drill two holes in the btm airbag mount to modify them so they would fit my flipped axle. With a stock suspension there would be a couple more " of travel and I suspect they would work even better.
It took me all day to install the airbags, the compressor, electric and airlines. I ended up ordering a smaller 0-60 lb pressure gauge which fit better in the dash. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow during the day.

Adjust n the fly 15 lb for low and looks 25-30lbs 2" lift and better plushness
Approx 4" travel from no air to 40 lbs

I forget the exact cost but if I recall under 500 with the compressor

You remove the bumpers and put in the airbags.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am considering getting the air bags to stop some body roll on our 2014 1500 136". Mine gets blown around a lot on the highway and with side winds, I'm hoping the air bags will stop a bit of that. I do not see the promaster kit at http://www.airsuspension.ca/, but they sell them on ebay. Not sure if it would be worth while to get the air compressor kit, ours is a camper and will not have extreme loads so probably will say fairly constant. Having a pressure gauge inside would be nice. Thanks for any input.

Edit, I do see them on their site now.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
They do not specify the 1500, only 2500 and 3500. I have seen other sway bars that I believe fit the 1500, I will shop a bit for those.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mauiguy:

I find the stock spring ride very stiff, and since I will never carry a max load, my purpose is to soften the ride and lower the height.

In theory, the air bags should serve to support the rear end in case I ever carry a big load.

Why not leave the springs above the axle, have them recurved, then add the air bags?

Did you move the spring perch to below the axle?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a set of 4 Brand new tires For Sale $500 - 255/45-20 Bridgestone Dueler!

If anyone is interested...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Flipping the Axel?

I just had a suspension guy tell me it can't be done! hA, seems u did it fine! Any Pixs of the axel & bags? I want to get this done!

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I just had a suspension guy tell me it can't be done! hA, seems u did it fine! Any Pixs of the axel & bags? I want to get this done!
What he really meant was "I don't want to be responsible for doing it":(

That's why I never take a "professionals" word for anything as the only way to do something. They have to cover themselves first and foremost then do what you want.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
This is correct you can not flip the axle. What the members here mean is to
put the leaf-spring under the axle. This can be done. Then add a helper bag.
This is a safety concern as all the weight is now on the ubolts. Not sure
what the rating is for the ubolts.
Another thing that I remember from long ago is you do not reuse the ubolts.
Always new. Bulldog has this set up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts