Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
To me whether anything is “worth” paying extra for an upgrade is too subjective for others to give valuable feedback because it depends both on relative need and financial resources. Having said that, I’ll give you my opinion anyway.

Most vans on the road are doing just fine with alternators no greater than the standard 180 AMPS. My Ford is rated at 130 AMPS and it has never had a problem or limitation due to alternator capacity. However, newer vehicles sometimes tend to use more power than before due to added electronics. On the other hand these components are more efficient as well.

Some vehicles use a lot more electrical power for added devices and may need extra alternator capacity. Examples would be Recreational Vehicles (RVs). Winnebago for instance specs their new ProMaster-based Travato with the standard 180 AMP alternator even though they add an extra battery to power “house” electrical systems. The alternator is set up to charge not only the vehicle’s starting battery but also the house battery. That can be a lot of extra load depending on how the camper is used. Because price point is so important in the very competitive RV market, it appears Winnebago doesn’t feel it necessary to upgrade to the 220 AMP alternator. It is interesting to note that the Winnebago Trend, also based on ProMaster, has the 220 AMP alternator. However, RAM specs I looked up show that Cutaway chassis come standard with the larger alternator.

Because my interest in a PM van is for camping, I would definitely upgrade to the larger 220 AMP alternator; but only because RAM doesn’t seem to offer a second alternator bracket like Mercedes does for the Sprinter. I would probably go with two house batteries, and a larger alternator could charge them faster. My van would have to have an inverter to power 120 Volt devices like TV, microwave, fans, and computers so it would use more electrical power than the average work van.

Also, if a driver was going to use their van for a lot of start-stop cycles, like delivery, where the battery gets discharged frequently and the engine doesn’t run as long to fully charge it again, then a larger alternator may make a lot of sense. Or if a work van will have electrical equipment running off an inverter in lieu of a generator – like occasional power tools or a dog grooming business that doesn’t always require air conditioning. In many cases these types of uses will require a generator anyway.

For normal use like 90+ percent of vehicles on the road my guess is that 180 AMPS is plenty.

·
Registered
473 Posts
To me whether anything is “worth” paying extra for an upgrade is too subjective for others to give valuable feedback because it depends both on relative need and financial resources. Having said that, I’ll give you my opinion anyway.

Most vans on the road are doing just fine with alternators no greater than the standard 180 AMPS. My Ford is rated at 130 AMPS and it has never had a problem or limitation due to alternator capacity. However, newer vehicles sometimes tend to use more power than before due to added electronics. On the other hand these components are more efficient as well.

Some vehicles use a lot more electrical power for added devices and may need extra alternator capacity. Examples would be Recreational Vehicles (RVs). Winnebago for instance specs their new ProMaster-based Travato with the standard 180 AMP alternator even though they add an extra battery to power “house” electrical systems. The alternator is set up to charge not only the vehicle’s starting battery but also the house battery. That can be a lot of extra load depending on how the camper is used. Because price point is so important in the very competitive RV market, it appears Winnebago doesn’t feel it necessary to upgrade to the 220 AMP alternator. It is interesting to note that the Winnebago Trend, also based on ProMaster, has the 220 AMP alternator. However, RAM specs I looked up show that Cutaway chassis come standard with the larger alternator.

Because my interest in a PM van is for camping, I would definitely upgrade to the larger 220 AMP alternator; but only because RAM doesn’t seem to offer a second alternator bracket like Mercedes does for the Sprinter. I would probably go with two house batteries, and a larger alternator could charge them faster. My van would have to have an inverter to power 120 Volt devices like TV, microwave, fans, and computers so it would use more electrical power than the average work van.

Also, if a driver was going to use their van for a lot of start-stop cycles, like delivery, where the battery gets discharged frequently and the engine doesn’t run as long to fully charge it again, then a larger alternator may make a lot of sense. Or if a work van will have electrical equipment running off an inverter in lieu of a generator – like occasional power tools or a dog grooming business that doesn’t always require air conditioning. In many cases these types of uses will require a generator anyway.

For normal use like 90+ percent of vehicles on the road my guess is that 180 AMPS is plenty.
Excellent write up chance. Me personally, if it was available, I'd order the 220, but that's just me

·
Registered
87 Posts
It would be well worth it with a dual (or more) battery system, but I'd think the stock alternator would easily handle a single battery set up.

High output rear ac and heater systems could be a good reason for the alt. upgrade also.

·
Registered
473 Posts
would you guys ever go with a higher output amp, something more than 220?
Interesting question. I don't claim to know how Chrysler has set up the PM's electronics, but in the Sprinter's case, you can't change from the original amperage output of the alternator as MB has tweaked the PCM to not allow any changes without a reflashing by a dealer.
The days of just bolting something on a vehicle are gone it seems

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
would you guys ever go with a higher output amp, something more than 220?
MB offers a 14V/250A option on the 4 cylinder diesel. If I needed that much electrical power my first preference would be a second alternator to power a separate electrical system for house batteries. That way the vehicle's electrical system would be left intact. It would cost a little more but should be more reliable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
MB offers a 14V/250A option on the 4 cylinder diesel. If I needed that much electrical power my first preference would be a second alternator to power a separate electrical system for house batteries. That way the vehicle's electrical system would be left intact. It would cost a little more but should be more reliable.
Several RV makers are currently installing the second "generator" option on their V6 Sprinters. Or I should say, they are ordering them in that way from MB

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Several RV makers are currently installing the second "generator" option on their V6 Sprinters. Or I should say, they are ordering them in that way from MB
Yes, and it was about time. As far as I know from specs, MB supplies the bracket but the buyer has to supply the alternator. That makes sense to me because different companies would want to use different sizes, voltages, etc....

Why use 200 Amps at 14/12 volts when 100 Amps at 28/24 volts can do the same? Or why not go to 36 Volts or even 48 Volts nominal?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you know where mercedes gets their alternators from?
Just curious as i like to know who makes them and how good that company is known to be.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, and it was about time. As far as I know from specs, MB supplies the bracket but the buyer has to supply the alternator. That makes sense to me because different companies would want to use different sizes, voltages, etc....

Why use 200 Amps at 14/12 volts when 100 Amps at 28/24 volts can do the same? Or why not go to 36 Volts or even 48 Volts nominal?
Correct chance. The bracket, not the gen/alt itself. I'm sure there's some wiring in the mix too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts