Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking online at the specs for my Promaster.
I see the floor is supposed to be 21" off the ground, which Ram claims to be the lowest in the industry. I measured mine and its 25-1/2" at the back door.
So, I went to the dealer to have it fixed. Well I'm told that it's 21" at the side door. Maybe for an inch up front but not on the whole side door.
The dealer was very responsive, but I was told it is what it is.
I even printed the drawing off the Ram website that shows the back door is to have a 21" load in height.
Well I called the Ram number and in a couple of days they will be getting back to me.
Wish me luck, I will need it cause I'm not going to lift thar boiler an extra 4-1/2" into the back of my Promaster. Todd

·
Registered
886 Posts
You going to complain when it's 21 empty and 15.5 loaded.

They're called springs.

You're asking for the impossible.

·
Registered
604 Posts

They're called springs.

Impossible? Shouldn't be... That's what they advertise/claim it is. Most would call it false advertising.

Surprised mine wasn't? Not at all. I took a tape measure with me and checked the dimensions that were important to me before I gave them my money.

After-all, we're talking about car companies/dealerships... Just about the scummiest, deceiving, lying band of no-good thieves in corporate America today aren't we?

Unfortunately it comes down to Let-the-buyer-beware....

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I'm more concerned about load in. I've never been bothered by sag, when I put weight into a vehicle. I only want them to provide the spec that they are advertising. I don't think that is a request that is out of line. Todd

·
Registered
36 Posts
While your at it, ask them why the specs list the height of a low roof at 90" but it's actually 92 1/2" tall! I was shocked when I brought it home and it barely cleared my 94" garage door opening! I am surprised that this hasn't been brought up before. I had to remove the roof antenna because it will get ripped off when I back out of my garage. I had discovered the floor height lie too when I was doing my build. Even after adding the wall liner, cargo mat, partition, shelving, and loaded my tools, it's still at 91".

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I will add that info to mine complaint too. Todd

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well that's a bummer. I don't have a RAM or Sprinter dealer close by so I can't compare side by side. That tips the scales back towards a Sprinter for me. They advertise about 27 1/2" at the back - only 2" more than your measurements. The plethora of options (including crew configuration) would make up for a 2" height disadvantage. I thought it was more like 6". By comparison, my E-150 is only 26" with the added load of high roof and wheelchair lift.
Clearly we are suffering on height for the heavy duty GVWR rating. I wonder if the 21" is an old number they pulled from European data where they don't have to carry high GVWR to avoid CAFE issues.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Those dimensions appear to be with the vehicle at maximum load (and it's pretty likely that the Sprinter is that way, too) and it's quite possible that some of them came from the Ducato.

If you are not going to utilize the full GVWR, you can get any shop that deals with heavy truck leaf springs to take some of the arch out of the rear leafs, in order to lower it. I had the rear lowered about 60mm and the springs are still clear of the bump stops by a decent amount. I could have cut one of the convolutions off the bump stops and lowered it more.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I drive a 2010 Sprinter 3500 at work. It is loaded with about 3500 - 4000# of shelving, tools, and inventory. I can say that it doesn't squat very much even with that cargo in it. My PM 2500 159" is for both personal use and extracurricular work. I have approximately 2000# of similar cargo in it. This has dropped it about 3" verses empty height. Comparing the two, the PM is noticably easier to get in and out of in the rear.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

They're called springs.

Not only is it possible, it's relatively easy when the springs are made of air instead of steel. :)

Air springs makes it so easy to vary the spring rate in proportion to load. It also makes ride-height adjustments and kneeling possible. RAM needs to offer rear air suspension as an option on PM in my opinion.

If mass-produced, air springs shouldn't be that expensive.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
....cut.....

Clearly we are suffering on height for the heavy duty GVWR rating. I wonder if the 21" is an old number they pulled from European data where they don't have to carry high GVWR to avoid CAFE issues.
One Ducato site shows rear floor height at 535 to 550 mm unladen, or in range of 21 to 21-1/2 inches. In the past I recall seeing 500 mm for different Ducato models. That would be around 19-1/2 inches if correct.

·
Registered
23 Posts
While your at it, ask them why the specs list the height of a low roof at 90" but it's actually 92 1/2" tall! I was shocked when I brought it home and it barely cleared my 94" garage door opening! I am surprised that this hasn't been brought up before. I had to remove the roof antenna because it will get ripped off when I back out of my garage. I had discovered the floor height lie too when I was doing my build. Even after adding the wall liner, cargo mat, partition, shelving, and loaded my tools, it's still at 91".

While you're at it still, don't forget to mention the 16" brembo disc brakes you're supposed to have Todd. They are actually closer to 10". ☺

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, 16" diameter brake rotors would be impossible for a vehicle with 16" wheels. Oops.

The brakes work very well, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
259 Posts
One Ducato site shows rear floor height at 535 to 550 mm unladen, or in range of 21 to 21-1/2 inches. In the past I recall seeing 500 mm for different Ducato models. That would be around 19-1/2 inches if correct.

All I can say is I looked at a Transit the other day, now that's a high load in, you need a small step ladder... love my PM. And the front wheeel drive traction here in one of the worst winters in years.

·
Registered
399 Posts
All I can say is I looked at a Transit the other day, now that's a high load in, you need a small step ladder...
That's one of my big disappointments with Transit. All new unibody design and I think load height actually increased over the E-Series. I know my old 150 is lower. Don't know how E-250 and Transit compare. Seriously Ford, you couldn't lower the load height by at least 2" by going to unibody?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's one of my big disappointments with Transit. All new unibody design and I think load height actually increased over the E-Series. I know my old 150 is lower. Don't know how E-250 and Transit compare. Seriously Ford, you couldn't lower the load height by at least 2" by going to unibody?
The smaller Transit tires alone account for over an inch drop, so yeah, it should be much lower. My E-350 is around 30 inches at back doors so Transit must easily beat that by a few inches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts