Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2022 Promaster
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2022 Promaster that is the chassis for a new Roadtrek Travel Van. It has only 1200 miles on it. The head unit (nav, radio, etc) had been intermittently shutting down and then rebooting. Recently it happened several times within a few minutes. Then when I stooped and shut off the engine it wouldn’t start. It was completely dead as if the battery was disconnected. It was towed to my Promaster dealer and they told me they found the main engine ground wire had to be cleaned and reconnected to the transmission housing. Now, just 100 miles later, the head unit is shutting down and rebooting, loosing the nav destination route. Before it shut down the radio made a buzzing sound, similar to what you hear when there is a loose ground in an audio system. I made another appointment with my dealer, but he didn’t sound confident that he knew what the problem is. Any advice is appreciated.

· Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,873 Posts
People with way more knowledge on the subject will probably give you more helpful replies. But if it was my van, I'd contact Roadtrek. They installed a lot of components and know more about what's in your van than ram does at this point.

Also, maybe you need a new battery? My sister's BMW battery went bad, and she had all kinds of weird electrical issues that the service people had trouble diagnosing. They put a new battery in and it all went away.

I googled this quickly and it did mention batteries:
Common Roadtrek 190 Problems & Solutions

· Registered
182 Posts
I have a new 2022 Promaster that is the chassis for a new Roadtrek Travel Van. It has only 1200 miles on it. The head unit (nav, radio, etc) had been intermittently shutting down and then rebooting. Recently it happened several times within a few minutes. Then when I stooped and shut off the engine it wouldn’t start. It was completely dead as if the battery was disconnected. It was towed to my Promaster dealer and they told me they found the main engine ground wire had to be cleaned and reconnected to the transmission housing. Now, just 100 miles later, the head unit is shutting down and rebooting, loosing the nav destination route. Before it shut down the radio made a buzzing sound, similar to what you hear when there is a loose ground in an audio system. I made another appointment with my dealer, but he didn’t sound confident that he knew what the problem is. Any advice is appreciated.
Hey there!

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please send us a DM. We'd love to get you some additional help.

Callie
Ram Cares

· Registered
203 Posts
FYI: RV builds from companies like Roadtrek are usually 1-year behind the RV model year, so in your case it’s technically a 2021 ram

Is the head unit the stock head unit or is it an aftermarket head unit? Someone in the Promaster FB Group just went through an ordeal with their Class-B RV that had an aftermarket head unit in where the headunit was interferring with the correct code output.

· Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
3,305 Posts
Hi,
I have had the problem where the van would not start, and it turned out to be the engine/transmission to chassis ground.
When this happened, the turning the key to the crank position lit all the lights on the dash, but did not crank the engine at all.
But, this bad ground did not cause any problems with the radio head unit that I noticed.

On mine, Kip-on-Trucking suggested using a jumper cable between the engine/transmission case and the negative battery terminal as a diagnostic to find a bad ground - if it starts with the jumper in place, then its a bad ground. This worked for me.

Gary

· Registered
182 Posts
My ‘22 is giving the mechanics a hard time too.
Hello Lisa,

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is being looked at, please send us a direct message!

Callie
Ram Cares

Reactions: h2ocamper
1 - 9 of 9 Posts