Ram Promaster Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Get a written report from the "repairing" dealer. If you do not understand all that was wrong and fixed get them to list that in writing also. Get as much information and get as informed as you can on topic. Get a written statement directly from Ram if you can. Ask for an extended written warranty around this issue (something to your liking). There could be latent defects unknown to you at this point that will come into play after the warranty expires.

Then decide about the lemon laws (I'm Canadian so won't pretend I know the Laws of Your Land).

Get @RamCares involved now. Do your best to get the truth out of the Dealer & Ram (again ask for everything in writing - even the story of how your van got to this point).

A melted power distribution board - Why did this happen ?? Dead Short & no fuse in play ??

At least you are getting somewhere with it

Sorry for your bad news.

And Finally after re-reading the above ,,, this is for @Sather

We appreciate the tag! Yes, please reach out to us. We'd like to see where and how we can assist you.

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
339 Posts
My first question would be about their original diagnosis regarding a "melted power distribution panel". That's not mentioned anywhere in the notes you uploaded. Need to confirm that part wasn't involved.

The notes only refer to "crushed" wires under the dash, and not "crimped" wires as you had previously stated after yesterday's phone call. Need to confirm whether any wires had "crimps" because that implies wiring was modified for some reason. Many dealers install satellite GPS trackers to keep track of their inventory in case a vehicle gets lost or stolen on their lots. Instead of removing it, they normally try to pass the cost onto the customer during sales negotiations, or just leave it installed with no service if you can sidestep their attempt at extortion.

My van was like $2K more due to the tracker, and because of demand, and they wouldn't budge on the gps tracking mark up. I still need to contact them for the account details because they didn't provide them and I forgot about it. It's a shady business practice to make customers pay for their lot security. It was a 2 yr satellite tracking service plan I think. Should check all your paperwork to see if you had that added to total cost.

The notes sound like the main under-dash wiring harness was damaged from being crushed. I read that to mean wires were pinched by the dash. My guess is it happened during original factory assembly of the van, or at original dealer if they attempted to install something like a tracker, which would be spliced into the main wiring harness under the steering wheel. Or the dash could have been removed as a training exercise for a new technician, and improperly reinstalled. Who knows. This pic below is an example of the part they're referring to.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the automotive field cliche. 😆

Line Font Screenshot Bicycle tire Web page

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
When I posted above was work that was done by the selling dealership, before they sold me the vehicle. Undisclosed to me of course. The melted distribution panel happened 5 days after I purchased the vehicle and was discovered by the second dealership, mainly the dealership where I'm currently having the vehicle serviced. One would have to think that the second issue was related to the first issue. What does that mean that they repaired a crushed harness? One would think that a crushed harness would be replaced and not repaired. I am disturbed by the fact that this was not disclosed to me before purchasing the vehicle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok I see what you're saying. The current dealership repairing your van discovered that the original dealership who sold you the van had previously performed repairs on the melted power distribution panel.

The current dealership most likely replaced the wiring harness since it's a brand new vehicle, but that's something you need to confirm in writing and document because I would have thought the original dealership would have done the same when they replaced the melted power distribution panel. But if there were "crimps" it's clear they did not. Furthermore they crushed or pinched the wiring harness when reassembling the dash.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Let me clarify. Sorry for the confusion.

July 20th, selling dealership, i.e.dealership#1, repaired a crushed wiring harness.

July 26th, I purchased the vehicle from dealership #1, picked up the vehicle and drove it home. Zero disclosure about any wiring repairs.

July 31st, red battery icon goes on and vehicle doesn't start.

August 2nd, I have vehicle towed to service dealership i.e. dealership #2.

August 3rd, dealership #2 contacts me and lets me know that control panel is melted. They mentioned something about previous reports of crimped wires. Dealership number two did not see or discover crimped wires.

August 4th. After many emails and prodding, dealership#1 provide documentation of repair done on July 20th to crushed harness. See attachment above. This was the first time that dealership number one made any mention of repairs that were done before the purchase of the vehicle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What’s interesting is the invoice you posted says repair order was started on July 11. I wonder who the customer is that’s mentioned. Is that invoice from dealership #1, or was the repair outsourced to another dealership maybe? I see they spent 9 hrs for the diag and repair. Van must have had quite a few test drives with 65 miles already on the odometer.

So if Dealer #2 didn’t see crimped wires, but know they existed because of some previous documentation, Dealer #1 must have replaced the entire wiring harness (that they originally modified).

What about your battery? Did the replace it, or just recharge it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I don't know much about cars or car wiring. Boiler wiring I do know about. Short circuits or reverse wiring, can and does destroy electronic controls. I would think that every single electronic control and sensor, in this vehicle, is suspect.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,995 Posts
I don't know much about cars or car wiring. Boiler wiring I do know about. Short circuits or reverse wiring, can and does destroy electronic controls. I would think that every single electronic control and sensor, in this vehicle, is suspect.
🤔😳🧐

I do not know if a dealership “has to disclose” such things or not on a new vehicle. “A Customer” could have been just a generic phrase for pre-sold repairs. IIRC, the customer who ordered this van originally “could not get financing”? 😉 & they you,were notified there was a van that just came available “like you hit the Loto”? I would call in “The Spanish Inquisition” as nobody expects that !!

But seriously, I would want all disclosed right now even the “original customer”. This smells of deceit to me. If I did not get full disclosure and an extremely long term added warranty for anything that touches the electrical system & you have the right to “give back the keys” , lemon laws etc, then I would go to @RamCares and have them get you a new van (I suspect they know the manufacturer & can pull a few strings). Keep the public pressure up on The Forum and posting any “truths” you are told.

They may try to circle the wagons around what happened at the 1st dealership, which until they come clean on all of this including a quick resolution & possibly a replacement van will look poorly upon them.

I am sorry this is happening to you in what should be an exciting fun time with your new van.

·
Registered
129 Posts
🤔😳🧐

I do not know if a dealership “has to disclose” such things or not on a new vehicle. “A Customer” could have been just a generic phrase for pre-sold repairs. IIRC, the customer who ordered this van originally “could not get financing”? 😉 & they you,were notified there was a van that just came available “like you hit the Loto”? I would call in “The Spanish Inquisition” as nobody expects that !!

But seriously, I would want all disclosed right now even the “original customer”. This smells of deceit to me. If I did not get full disclosure and an extremely long term added warranty for anything that touches the electrical system & you have the right to “give back the keys” , lemon laws etc, then I would go to @RamCares and have them get you a new van (I suspect they know the manufacturer & can pull a few strings). Keep the public pressure up on The Forum and posting any “truths” you are told.

They may try to circle the wagons around what happened at the 1st dealership, which until they come clean on all of this including a quick resolution & possibly a replacement van will look poorly upon them.

I am sorry this is happening to you in what should be an exciting fun time with your new van.
Thank you so much for tagging us in this post. Please reach out to us via direct messaging so that we can see how we can assist you.

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Just want to update the community. I have a case number. I spoke with the case manager, who needs to look into the matter further. She should get back to me on Tuesday. I am trying to impress upon them, they I want to return the vehicle. Certainly did not get any commitments at this point. Contacted @RamCares and they said that they were in touch with case manager. Will keep everyone posted. Your assistance and support is priceless.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just want to update the community. I have a case number. I spoke with the case manager, who needs to look into the matter further. She should get back to me on Tuesday. I am trying to impress upon them, they I want to return the vehicle. Certainly did not get any commitments at this point. Contacted @RamCares and they said that they were in touch with case manager. Will keep everyone posted. Your assistance and support is priceless.
I'm sorry you have to go through all this. I hope everything gets resolved quickly. This nightmare is exactly what customers look to avoid by paying more money to buy "brand new".

I suspect the root cause of this issue is due to "dealer installed" options (that were then removed), but that's just my speculation.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts