Ram Promaster Forum banner
61 - 80 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Anyway, wait a little while for roadside assistance. They didn't show up. Call them up. They said their vehicle broke down. Put through another service request. Guy pulled up about an hour later. Little four-door car and a bit of attitude. Tries to jump the ProMaster. Surprise surprise didn't help. He's spent about 4 or 5 minutes maybe. Didn't test voltage or test anything for that matter. Have a tow scheduled for 9:00 tomorrow morning. Will keep you posted

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,414 Posts
I’m no expert but I can repeat what people told me when mine was dead and I didn’t believe it because dead car batteries reacted so differently. I put the charger on and checked it every hour and no big difference. I was sure it wasn’t working but my friend who knows more than me said to just leave it on and in the morning it turned over and was fine. The charger fills the battery. After it’s charged you don’t have do drive around like you do in a car after a jumpstart.To jumpstart you give it a jolt, but doesn’t fill the battery. Apparently filling the battery is better and more effective than giving it s jolt. One person did that and then they had to push some reset to stop sone lights or something. Clearly there are people with h better answers than me. I hope it’s just a drained battery. If it was my van and right off the lot, I would contact the dealer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The charger that I bought, tells the charge percentage. Hit 100% fairly quickly. Any benefit to continued charging? Still won't start and voltage is fluctuating from 6-9. I guess that I really have two separate questions. One is for this battery, which seems to be in bad shape. And one is for future batteries. Assuming I got a brand new battery that's working fine. Is there benefits to charging it once it hits 100%? Thanks again for all the help and pardon my ignorance.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,528 Posts
Ok. Tested voltage. Between 7.6 and and 7.9. used two different testers with diff results
That is a dead battery. What charger did you get? Are you sure it isn't telling you it is charging at 100%? Measure the voltage while it is charging and let us know what the reading is.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,995 Posts
Schumacher is a decent brand.

As @83Grumman stated above, it would be good for you to check the voltage once the unit is charging.

I note your charger is 6volt & 12volt. Is there a setting for this or auto detect? Your battery is so low (beyond dead), if it is auto detect I wonder if it thinks it is a 6volt?

Sometimes the “fully automatic” chargers can’t deal with a battery that is so far dead. You can buy chargers where you can manually adjust the voltage and amperage & if you have knowledge in restoring batteries they can sometimes be brought back.

If you check the charging voltage, it should be around 13.5volts to 15volts when charging.

Hope you get it to the Dealer & they sort it out. Pretty frustrating on a 5 day old vehicle. The service level you are getting for “Road Side Assistance” is pathetic. There are some things that in my mind have been getting worse over the years & the Covid Pandemic magnified them. Now it has just become an excuse for sloppy crappy service. I DIY things & stuff, because I like to build stuff, but also because I want to be able to maintain, diagnose, & repair stuff myself. Mechanics of yore have turned into “Technicians” of today. I much prefer an all around Mechanic with a vast experience & knowledge base. Maybe cause I am older now, but corporate deceit also seems to be more prevalent (it could be I am just more sensitive to it).

My 2 cents; best to get educated in all things Promaster & DIY if you are building it out ,,, less frustration.

Final note; IIRC, Auto Manufacturers are suppose to have a “spec” on parasitic & standby drain. 30, 40, 50 milliamperes. They sometimes fail. I am trying to get this info from Ram. If I am ever successful I will post this spec. If it is say 50, then that would be 1.2Ahrs in a 24 hour period. The PM starter battery is a 95Ahr battery IIRC.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hi. Don't remember exactly. Didn't test while charging. Tested after charging for a few minutes. Few different times. Range was 6v-9v or thereabouts. Gave up on charging. Having vehicle brought to dealership.

·
Registered
129 Posts
They do, sort of -- @RamCares. They are US corporate-level customer care. I don't think they monitor every post, but you can contact them if you have trouble with dealers, etc.
Hey!

We appreciate the tag! If you have any questions or need assistance, the easiest way to make sure we see it is with a tag or a private message!

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Update. Roadside assistance told me that vehicle needs to be towed to nearby dealership. I am not familiar with CJDR dealerships in area. Towing company shows up and says that I am not allowed to ride along. Ok. No big deal. They give me address and I hop in Uber. Get to location and see my PM in parking lot. Of Goodyear, who does not do Chrysler warranty work. Goodyear guy said that get that often. Now waiting for next tow, to take vehicle to dealership. I made sure to confirm with dealership that they do warranty work. Means another Uber charge for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The good news is that I received a badge for all of my posts. Silver lining in everything. Would be nice if Ram would spend some time on this forum.
Hey steamdoctor313,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We try to be where we can, but if you ever need assistance, the best way to get our attention is to send us a direct message or tag us!

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,528 Posts
Hi. Don't remember exactly. Didn't test while charging. Tested after charging for a few minutes. Few different times. Range was 6v-9v or thereabouts. Gave up on charging. Having vehicle brought to dealership.
A few minutes of charging is worthless, like nothing. You need to charge it for 8 hours.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,180 Posts
I think I have the Die Hard version of that charger, when it thinks it's 100% it flips over to maintainer mode.

61 - 80 of 139 Posts