Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 161 Posts
Tried charging for a few minutes. No luck. Would charging overnight make a difference? Pardon my ignorance. Are these batteries different then old school batteries, that charges up in a few moments, when using proper booster?
i believe the OEM battery is an AGM, but yeah it basically functions the same as a lead acid battery in terms of charging. Just better build materials, better durability, lower internal resistance, and higher amp output.

If the battery is near dead, you’ll need to charge it overnight unless you have a very large battery charger.

There’s a difference between a charger and a booster. A booster will only help you start if your battery is too low to start on its own, but still has enough voltage where a booster will work. Theres “dead” as in voltage too low to start, and then there’s “completely dead” as in battery voltage is so low even a boost won’t help. A booster only provides a temporary and short “boost”, and generally doesn’t have charging capabilities. The charging comes from your alternator after your engine is running.

A charger on the other hand, will provide constant power to bulk charge your battery from dead to near full, then trickle charge the rest to full capacity. The time it takes depends on size of charger (amperage rating). A very big 75A charger will take a little over an hr. A medium 25A charger would take less than 4 hrs, while a small 10A charger will take less than 10 hrs. A small trickle charger would take days.

Unless it’s a diesel the OEM battery is not an AGM it’s a sealed flooded. AGM batteries are not necessaryly built better, have more power, etc. the only extra value they offer is no maintenance and tho ability to be mounted on their side. Flooded batteries typically offer more power, lower cost and longer durability over AGM batteries.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I really wondering if that's what did it. I know the lights are supposed to time out at some point. The rear doors are open for a while and then closed then they open the side door. I'm wondering if the lights maxed out when the back doors were open. Then they close the back doors restarting the clock. Then they opened the side door turning the lights back on. On a battery that was not fully charged in the first place. If this wasn't so aggravating, the detective work would actually be a bit fun.

It’s probably dead battery because when that happened to me, my dash started flickering on and off, but the telltale signs were constant clicking noise behind the dash, jumping gauge needles, and my key was stuck in the ignition. Measured voltage was low single digit, and actually jumping around. I charged up the battery overnight and all was good the next day.
Hi @steamdoctor313

@Van vs Wild suggested you measure the voltage across the starter battery terminals. This is an excellent suggestion.

If you did this what is the voltage?

If you did not then this is the 1st path for you to DIY diagnose. Alternatively your van is under warranty I assume?

Sometimes, batteries need a very strong charge that most chargers can't do to "wake up" the battery, even if it's new or not that old.
Try getting it started with either a strong professional charger and/or jump from a towing company. (not sure of your resources).
After you get it started, drive it a bit and when home, let it trickle charge for a day.
My new 22 has gone dead twice now (only has 69 miles after owning it for 5 months :cry: ) and I was able to boost charge it to get it started. Good luck to you

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Will go test in a bit and get back to you. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Van is definitely under warranty. Only 6 days old (birthday starts from when I take possession LOL). Will see if I can get a pro boost. I would rather avoid dealerships if possible. Dealerships around here move slower than snails. Obviously, if I need to take it in, it needs to go to dealership. Otherwise,I void the warranty (I think). I will go out and get a charger and will report back.

Tried charging for a few minutes. No luck. Would charging overnight make a difference? Pardon my ignorance. Are these batteries different then old school batteries, that charges up in a few moments, when using proper booster?
Most batteries do not charge in a few minutes.

Charging overnight is the best way to get a full battery on a smart charger.

Is there much benefit to checking voltage now? Dash was on all night and presumably drained battery down. Thanks.
Yes check the voltage now before trying to start the engine, but only after you have had the headlights on for one minute. Turn off the lights and then read the battery voltage.

If you can read the battery voltage while cranking it will tell us more about the state of charge of the battery.

The sooner you get a charger on it the better. A discharged battery is in its worse state, the longer it is discharged the harder it is on your battery.
I'm partial to Battery Tender brand chargers. Most auto parts stores, Walmart, Target, etc... should have them.
Charge your battery for 24 hours if possible. Get it fully charged and then allow time for it to trickle.
As you learn more about batteries you will understand why it takes so much time to get your battery back to 100 percent.

21 - 40 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.