Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have new PM for 5 days. Took it today to have windows tinted. Turned back on. Noticed red battery icon on dashboard. Parked in driveway and turned off. Few minutes later, alarm goes off. Could not turn off alarm. After a few minutes, alarm turns itself off. Tried to start vehicle. No luck. Tried a few times. Finally got it to turn on. In addition to the battery icon, red transmission icon was also on. Turned off and couldn't start again. After a few tries, turned on. Now some more notices on dash. FRUSTRATING. I would venture to guess that there is one underlying issue.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No. Only some window tint. Obviously, totally unrelated to electrical system
I only ask because tint shops usually do both, and they run down your battery playing the radio while they’re working.

Sorry, I don’t have an answer but not sounds like the problem may be related to the immobiliser system. When you tried to restart, the engine was cranking but not firing up right?
When it finally started, did you remove the key prior to that successful attempt?

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,410 Posts
My battery ran down this winter. I didn't think it was the battery because windows and radio worked and odd things worked then didn't work, on then off. It was freaky. It was the battery. So @Van vs Wild could be onto something. I put a multimeter on the battery and it was low. I was told not to jump it. I borrowed a battery charger, put it on overnight and I've been good ever since. Possibly you got the van with a low battery even.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes battery could still be low. Windows and radio don’t take much power, while starting the engine requires a huge amount of amp draw. I’ve found the only reliable way to test without a multimeter is to turn on the headlights for about 5 mins because they have high draw too. Of course you may not be able to tell during the day, but at night they’ll be noticeably dim.

Like Lolaeliz said, it’s not uncommon to get a van with low battery. They sit on the lot longer than most vehicles, and a short test drive here and there isn’t enough to recharge the battery.

You need to go on a long drive for an hour+ to get a decent recharge if the battery is low. If you haven’t done any long drives yet, playing with the remote start probably drained the battery. Each start attempt uses a substantial amount of juice when the battery is low, and requires a bit of rest time between attempts.

Have you tried manually cranking the engine with a key? (I have no idea if the factory remote start completely replaces the key or not). It’s easier to troubleshoot that way because remote start will also fail to work if you have hazard lights turned on, or coolant temp is too high.

By using a key you’ll be able to tell if the battery is too low to start the engine. It will either crank slow (very low), fast click (almost dead), single click or do nothing (totally dead), all the while some accessories will still work.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
A thought for the future, if the van might sit w/o being driven a lot/used just for short drives between trips. And if you are designing an electrical system... My Renogy DcDc/MPPT charger combo now trickle charges my van battery from the lithiums. The van sat for 2 weeks in July between trips and the trickle charge began charging. I have no idea what your plans are, but since we're talking possible dead battery... information is power. 😛

·
Registered
324 Posts
It kinda sounds like a loose battery cable or chassis ground. Using a coin, remove the battery cover in the cab floor. Check the positive and negative cables to make sure they’re seated all the way down on the battery cables and clamped tight.
Wouldn’t hurt to disconnect them for a few mins to reset everything either. Try to use the power window switch or headlight switch while the battery is disconnected to drain an residual power from the electrical system before reconnecting.

Having no real key sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. If you were stuck on the side of the road like this, how would you be able to lock or unlock the doors?

·
Registered
324 Posts
It’s probably dead battery because when that happened to me, my dash started flickering on and off, but the telltale signs were constant clicking noise behind the dash, jumping gauge needles, and my key was stuck in the ignition. Measured voltage was low single digit, and actually jumping around. I charged up the battery overnight and all was good the next day.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
my key was stuck in the ignition. Wouldn't come out. Seriously, don't discount the possibility of a dead battery. It seems weird electrical stuff happens when the power supply is low, It's a simple thing to address. Get a battery charger and leave it on overnight. Or better yet, it's brand new. Get the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried charging for a few minutes. No luck. Would charging overnight make a difference? Pardon my ignorance. Are these batteries different then old school batteries, that charges up in a few moments, when using proper booster?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts