Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Started mocking up options for the electronics bay (long and narrow due to the battery configuration…Anderson plugs on one side (top in the photo) and power buttons on another side make arranging these batteries complicated. I plan to use the top of this cabinet under the bed for storing long items like snowboards and maybe ramp sections for the motorcycle.

Keeping all these heavy items secured is a PITA…I have the batteries cleared in, held under pressure against the 2x6 bolted to the van wall, and I will use some j hooks or a ratcheting strap to secure the other 2x6 in the picture just for extra insurance

Also got started on one of the shiplap walls while my wife was getting more lumber for the electronics area…

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Powered things up for the first time tonight…no loads yet but so far so good. And I found a good way to ground the 4/0 cable to the chassis.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
872 Posts
Are you running all of your main power through a chassis ground or do you have a negative cable to the starter battery?

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
872 Posts
All through the chassis
Most high power systems, components, equipment are installed with their own negative ground cable. I would recommend a dedicated ground cable to the starter battery. You might be okay without it, I guess you will find out but it is not common practice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Most high power systems, components, equipment is installed with it's own negative ground cable. I would recommend a dedicated ground cable to the starter battery. You might be okay without it, I guess you will find out but it is not common practice.
Every wiring diagram I’ve seen for these types of separate “house” systems with their own batteries has had a ground to/through the chassis. And I haven’t seen anyone running a 4/0 cable to the starting battery directly.
This site gave me some interesting information about the effectiveness of the chassis as a grounding path and all the negative portions of the load circuits in my house system will be grounded directly to the negative bus bar of the house system. I don’t see what a direct cable between the negative sides of the separate battery systems would add to a setup like this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got the AC powered up (it’s not charged yet). Had to create a custom 45-degree duct by cutting and splicing two smaller ones together. Tested the fan and it’s like a hurricane across the whole ceiling of the van on Level 7, and I can easily feel it hitting my face all the way at the back of the van even on Level 1. Looking forward to seeing how it cools!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Incredible job with the insulation. I'm also very interested to see how the air conditioner works. I know it's hard to tell at this point, but are the A/C fans loud?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Incredible job with the insulation. I'm also very interested to see how the air conditioner works. I know it's hard to tell at this point, but are the A/C fans loud?
Thanks…I’m hoping the additional insulation will allow me to easily run this AC system on very low levels to reduce noise and amp draw.
The evaporator fan is the only one I’ve tested so far. It’s very loud at the higher levels, but barely audible on L1. I think I saw it draw about 24 amps on L7 and maybe 3 on L1, but I’ll right down some number for that later. Again, this is just for the evaporator fan…I’m waiting to get to an AC shop to leak test and charge the system before the compressor and condenser fans will run.

I’m very happy about the packaging so far though…the hoses and electrical is all perfectly hidden in the b pillars, and the evaporator itself is secured above the cab in a way that’s almost totally reversible. The only permanent mod inside the van are the hole in the plastic tray for the drain hose and two 3” screws through the same plastic to keep the wood braces for the unit from popping up out of the tray. The evaporator is braced in place under pressure side-to-side with 2x lumber.

I’ve ordered a custom vent cover and the next step will be to build an easily removable bulkhead to hold the vent and two return air vents on each side to make sure the evaporator has plenty of airflow to exchange.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Boxed in the major electrical components yesterday…the next trick will be seeing how much room there is for anything else in the van! Preserving space in the garage for a motorcycle makes fitting everything else a lot more challenging!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Installed the major plumbing today and managed to fit the hot water heater and water pump into a 18x12x22” space. There might be room for the refrigerator and sink after all! Also installed the valves and nozzle for the outdoor shower by the rear door.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Finished up most of the plumbing box and started mocking up the galley area. Also loaded the motorcycle to get some critical measurements to start building the bed.
Lighting Automotive lighting Mode of transport Line Road surface
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Plant
Hood Wood Fender Computer hardware Electronic device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice, I also have an Aprilia RSV4 I was going to plan my build around, but I think I’m just going to tow an enclosed trailer behind leaving me more room in van and ability to bring other toys in the trailer, just ordered a 2022 promaster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Nice, I also have an Aprilia RSV4 I was going to plan my build around, but I think I’m just going to tow an enclosed trailer behind leaving me more room in van and ability to bring other toys in the trailer, just ordered a 2022 promaster.
A trailer will be my backup plan…the bars on the Tuono are starting to dictate the interior design of the rest of the van!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Finished most of the left wall today after running tons of wires from one side of the van to the other. Got the custom grille for the AC outlet that fits and looks great and also added some heat shielding in front of the AC compressor since it’s behind one of the mufflers.
Wood Gas Tints and shades Ceiling Space

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Spent the last few days seeing if I could work out the adjustable height bed. It looks like it might work…lots of trial and error to get the rear and front guides aligned just right, including positioning the two bulkheads exactly where they needed to be to support the front rails. After lots of adjusting and relieving the tension in the attachment points so everything found its “happy place”, the bed slides up and down smoothly. Next I’ll see if I can find space for linear actuators to automate it or end up with a manual system…

Gas Machine Space Symmetry Metal
Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Machine Electrical supply
Wood Tire Floor Wood stain Flooring

41 - 59 of 59 Posts