21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Getting a single piece of Reflectex held up by the ceiling framing pieces was a PITA!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Squeezed 680 watts of solar panels onto the roof…

It was hard to get the cables off the roof with almost no room to work under the panels.

Room for a little deck up there too!

fit within 1/8” between the rack sides and that, two tabs at the back plus a few screws will keep them in place

View from the ground…the stealth rack lives up to its name!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you buy the Panasonic panels at? The places I found for shipping were about 250$.
Squeezed 680 watts of solar panels onto the roof…

View attachment 76817
It was hard to get the cables off the roof with almost no room to work under the panels.
View attachment 76818
Room for a little deck up there too!
View attachment 76819

fit within 1/8” between the rack sides and that, two tabs at the back plus a few screws will keep them in place
View attachment 76820

View from the ground…the stealth rack lives up to its name!
View attachment 76821

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where did you buy the Panasonic panels at? The places I found for shipping were about 250$.
I got them from A1solarstore and shipping was $195…definitely steep shipping but the arrived on an oversized pallet delivered by a lift gate truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Worked to see if I could route the drain and refrigerant lines from the place I’d like to mount the 12v AC evaporator above the cab area to underneath the van and it was really easy. Only had to drill two holes through plastic. I do have the factory swivel seats, so there are no seatbelt mechanisms in my b-pillars.

Also mounted the condenser using some aluminum angle pieces to bridge the gap between crossmembers. Plenty of room down there but it’s hard to find places that work by not being too close to the exhaust, parking brake, etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Those panels look very good. I wonder if you can get away with a full roof of panels and using a side mounted fan instead of a rooftop unit.
I’m very happy with how they fit, and a third one would easily fit up there if the fan was somewhere else. Once I install the small deck around the fan, the van will also “carry its own shade” everywhere and have the ultimate air gap above the roof…

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Slower progress this week as there were thunderstorms and torrential rain almost every day just after I was done work. I did managed to get the framing back in over the insulation, add a few bolts to the rear of the solar panels to keep them in place, and mount the AC compressor under the van though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cleaned things out so we’re ready to start measuring for and building all the “furniture”, features and other fixtures that I hope will all fit inside!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Took a few days for a sailing trip but back at it. Got the solar wires into the can through the rear camera housing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got most of the ceiling in tonight. It will all come back out next for staining. I feel like I’m building this van twice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sell ur sailboat...feels good

Crossed my mind but it’s tiny and kept on its trailer by the ramp so easy enough to keep. I am looking forward to being in a recreational vehicle that goes faster than 6 mph, probably won’t sink, and can usually go exactly the direction I want to go!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 59 Posts