'20 order acceptance 06/11/19
'20 production startup 09/30/19

BBL Fleet has the same dates

dates are subject to change

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those 2020 class B's that are being release before the production start date are really 2019 models or older.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That is so disappointing.

As I read it, only change or upgrade is a little stronger factory-installed receiver. No new anything of real significance — at least for those looking at PM for camping. No real changes to drivetrain, electrical/charging, etc.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I guess they are making enough money :/
I expect Ford is making a lot more money with full size Transit than RAM with ProMaster, yet they are updating the Transit.

Maybe Fiat is waiting for a complete redesign instead of investing on minor updates of an older platform.

I had been waiting (“one more year” again) for the new front end and also a new transmission which is clearly not in sight. A smaller new inline engine with higher fuel economy would be nice too, as would dual factory alternators like on Transit; although these are not as important to me as a new transmission and more auto-like appearance. To be honest, I noticed this morning that the front end now looks better to me than the back. The rear of a PM looks a lot more like a UPS truck than most other vans (granted, that’s part of why it’s more spacious for its size).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing as long as the Grand Caravan is in production there will be no engine or transmission updates.

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
The longer they keep this style, the longer I avoid hearing “ Oh you have the OLDER Promaster.” Long live the old style.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the entry level Pacifica comes out that should be the end of the Caravan.

Another indicator would be the Dodge Journey.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I read somewhere that the Caravan is being retired.

Chance, you must have the patience of Job.

No, not really. In fairness to vehicle manufacturers’ offerings, I’m not forced to buy right away because we have very limited time to “camp” at present, so we’re traveling by air to save time when possible. We’re more travelers than campers anyway which is what we want most out of a van.

When we look at manufactured campers like Winnebago Travato, there’s a lot we would want different. Yet I don’t have time or place to build one right now.

On the other hand I’m tired of sending good money after bad on my old van. It runs OK but stuff like door cables, window actuator, switches, etc. are failing and costing more to repair than it’s worth. At almost 200,000 I’ve had to replace starter, water pump, fuel pump, etc. Air conditioner compressor could be next.

My patience is being tested for sure. I’m thinking an interim camper of some type for a couple of years may be necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
I have to say the Pacifica and Journey look to me to be Caravans with slight option and body style changes. My sister has a Pacifica with a 3.6 and enough electronic stuff to drive one nuts! What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Caravan allowed an entry price into the minivan market, if FCA kills off the Caravan without providing another entry price minivan they will lose market shares. The Voyager is a rebadged Pacifica to capture the entry price.

IMO, Promaster engine and trans update hinges on other models that use those parts, Caravan and Journey.

The Journey is a small/mid size SUV.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
......cut.....

IMO, Promaster engine and trans update hinges on other models that use those parts, Caravan and Journey.

.......cut.......
Other than current V6, what other engine does RAM have access to that would come close to fitting?

I suppose a case can be made for 2.0 to 2.3 liter diesel now that competitors have also downsized, but in gas engines what could RAM use other than 3.6L V6?

V8s are out of question, and 4 cylinder engines without turbos would lack power for most buyers, and with turbos would drive away too many commercial and or business buyers.

Until they develop a brand new engine, I’m not expecting a replacement for V6 (other than maybe a diesel option). Maybe they’ll consider a hybrid with 4-cylinder engine. With a large enough electric motor they wouldn’t need a V6 for power. Higher price could be a problem though.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When the Caravan goes away that's a big drop in what uses the 62TE transmission, 184k were sold in 2018.

The Journey uses the 41TE and 62TE, sales avg. 7k per month.

If the Journey gets kills off, I'm guessing the Promaster will use the Pacifica transmission.

I don't think FCA will do anything radical, they sell a basic van with a large profit margin.

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
I think Chance is on to the answer. I’d expect an electric vehicle with a small turbo engine that might even run at constant speed charging. It could be diesel. Every vehicle maker believes the market is going to be electric. If it goes that way they need to deliver something. There will be interim solutions of course but why would FCA engineer a major modification to this van when that money could go towards the next kind of power plant?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
FCA must be planning on using a lot of hybrid transmissions in the future, because they recently signed a deal with ZF for a hybrid version of RWD 8-speed.

It appears ZF is betting on plug-in electrification, and has developed various transmissions, including one for FWD with longitudinal engine. This particular arrangement lends itself to offering AWD option. It’s an 8-speed dual-clutch

One ZF concept they call EVplus (if I recall correctly) is to have approximately 100 km (62 miles) of EV range, after which the gas engine takes over. By extending plug-in hybrid’s range from typical ~ 50 km to about 100 km, owners will have most of the advantages of pure electric cars but with much lower battery costs/weight, and while maintaining gasoline range. Not sure I agree 100% on economics, but all that battery capacity could be used to build a van camper with 100% electric house, including powering the OEM electric air conditioner.

With that much electrification, a small 4-cylinder gas engine should suffice if not towing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read earlier in the year articles about the screen going to 7" from the current 5" and having a 17" wheel option, is that not the case or just not listed in those press releases posted above? 2020 RAM ProMaster Redesign: New Generation - Jeep Trend this article was from Jan of this year.... which I thought odd, but it's hard to find any real info on the Promaster for the new model year, which, if already in production from a couple days ago, should have started their press releases, no? I'm wondering if that 2020 article is wrong?

I was wondering if the 17" wheels fit ok and don't rub etc. A bigger 7" screen would seem commonsense.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
1 - 20 of 101 Posts