Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the 2018 ProMaster lets you turn on the rear camera without being in reverse for a short time thru a setting on the radio. I think it would just be a software upgrade? Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I understand the 2018 ProMaster lets you turn on the rear camera without being in reverse for a short time thru a setting on the radio. I think it would just be a software upgrade? Any thoughts on that?
If my 2018 van ever turns up I will let you know, 12 weeks and counting :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
No kidding on the wait. I was told I’d have it a a few weeks ago. How long are people typically waiting?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Wow, that'll be awesome! Sadly I just checked and this was what I got:

UCONNECT® 5.0_RA2_VP2_06_00_48_01_MY14_MY15_VF
SERVICE BULLETIN ID: 08-074-15
RELEASE DATE: 2015-06-12

Maybe if we try with a 2018 vin maybe there is another version we can attempt to flash. @DCGH if you ever get your van, attempt to see if you can download it as you'll need to type in your vin here:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Reactions: DCGH

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, that'll be awesome! Sadly I just checked and this was what I got:

UCONNECT® 5.0_RA2_VP2_06_00_48_01_MY14_MY15_VF

Maybe if we try with a 2018 vin maybe there is another version we can attempt to flash. @DCGH if you ever get your van, attempt to see if you can download it as you'll need to type in your vin here:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html
Finally got a shipping date for my van: Jan 9th 2018 YAY!!!..it's in Mexico...Here by Feb...:( on the bright side at least it is actually a real van now and not just "In Sequence" as soon as it arrives I will let you guys know if it has the update..

·
Registered
195 Posts
In my 2118 you can turn on the rear view camera while driving forward. You have to hit the "more" button just below the radio and it goes into a page that allows you to select "rear view camera". It comes on and you see the same back up view as you would see when in reverse. It will go off the instant you touch your brakes or in about 10 seconds or so whichever comes first. Haven't timed it. When it goes off it stays on the page that allows you to turn it on. Then all you have to do is reach over and touch the screen and voila! I do find it handy in heavy traffic if I want to see if there's a little car close to my rear or just for fun. I believe I have kept it on the page while the radio is still playing, can't remember.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
In my 2118 you can turn on the rear view camera while driving forward. You have to hit the "more" button just below the radio and it goes into a page that allows you to select "rear view camera". It comes on and you see the same back up view as you would see when in reverse. It will go off the instant you touch your brakes or in about 10 seconds or so whichever comes first. Haven't timed it. When it goes off it stays on the page that allows you to turn it on. Then all you have to do is reach over and touch the screen and voila! I do find it handy in heavy traffic if I want to see if there's a little car close to my rear or just for fun. I believe I have kept it on the page while the radio is still playing, can't remember.
Ah, that's not as useful as the "always on" hack I've seen. Speaking of that hack, do you really have to do it from the rear doors? isn't there a reverse sensor or something?

·
Registered
38 Posts
That new backup camera feature would be 'good enough' for me and so much easier than splicing the rear door connector and running a wire up the length of the van. I want to be able to check out my utility trailer periodically while ripping down the freeway..

There are several other things that need be updated on my 2016 MY UCONNECT 5.0 unit too. For example, the speed limits have changed in many states and my NAV unit often shows the wrong speed for a section of highway or freeway. The maps were out of date or just plain wrong in several rural areas (where NAV is actually useful!).

As a new Ram Promaster owner, I've got no context here. Does FCA periodically provide updates? I've only seen chatter about a security update back in 2015. Plus, I went to the UCONNECT web site after registration and entering in my VIN and was not pleased to see that FCA seemed to think I had a Promaster City rather than 1500. I wonder of the wacky on-line support has anything to do with this van being from an upfitter (Hymer NA) rather than a Ram dealer?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,510 Posts
When I put in my VIN, I get that I am eligible for this:

I thought I was up to date. I did do an update about that time frame.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
When I put in my VIN, I get that I am eligible for this:

I thought I was up to date. I did do an update about that time frame.
It's possible that you already have this update. The site doesn't know that you already have it installed, it just knows what it shipped with.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Ah, that's not as useful as the "always on" hack I've seen. Speaking of that hack, do you really have to do it from the rear doors? isn't there a reverse sensor or something?
The reverse sensor would need you to get involved with the connection between the BCM (computer) and the transmission. I would not recommend messing with that for many reasons related to warranty, major problems, etc.

The door-open trick is much more harmless.... Just faking the BCM into thinking the rear door is open by using a switch to ground the correct wire in the rear column on the passenger side. (FYI: White with a blue stripe, accessible thru the center hole in the rear passenger column!)

... and the door-trick mod lets you leave the backup camera on as long as you like.

Yes, it could be done where that wire meets the BCM under the dash, but there's lotsa wires there, and service to the BCM would make the spliced wire more obvious than splicing to a wire at the back of the van.

Coincidentally, my rear door lock stopped working when one of the wires going to the door broke... when I brought it in for service, I explained my additional splice for the rear camera trigger switch, and the service department was not concerned with it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
speaking of updates has anyone figured out how to have uconnect 5.0 enable carplay? As far as I understand it's available in some vehicles. There was a download on my 2016 F150 that allowed you to do this. Really enjoyed carplay when I had it, I'd love to figure out how to get it back.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
I don’t think it can be enable because I don’t believe it’s there. The ‘18’s may have it but certainly the earlier ones don’t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts