Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to tap into the backup camera signal to send it to another source (besides the dash screen). It will be a 2-fold project as I will need to tap into the signal and be able to turn on the camera without the vehicle being in reverse. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the wires coming out of the camera so I can know which ones I will need to use?
It looks like there are 6 wires total: (1) RED (2) BLUE (3) GREEN (4) WHITE (actually clear) (5) BLK (Thick) (6) BLK (thin)
Also, does anyone know the name of the connector? Is it proprietary? Know where I can get it at? Looks like the one on this camera here.

Thanks,
HT

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Could that ebay vendor (or another vendor selling the same thing) have such a diagram?

I'm interested to find more too. Are you thinking of hooking up the factory camera to a monitor in the house section? Maybe to a DVR? That's what I'm contemplating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The female end of the clip has only 5 wires coming in. The colors don't exactly match up with the ones coming out of the other connector though. I have labeled the wires that I have tested.

Camera sideVan side
black (thick)black - ground (through testing I determined this wire didn't need to be hooked up for the camera to still operate correctly)
black (thin)black (purple stripe) - ground
redgreen (blue stripe) - 12V when key in ignition otherwise 0 V
greenwhite (actually clear) - ~.85V when camera activated (which appears to be when key in ignition) otherwise 0 V
white (actually clear)red - ~.85V when camera activated (which appears to be when key in ignition) otherwise 0 V
blue[nothing]

Good idea TV2, I will ping the vendors on ebay to see if they have a diagram. I continuity tested the van side black and van side purple ones to a ground connection and both appear to be grounded. I still am not sure about the other 3 (van side green, white, red). I am thinking one is power, one is video signal, and maybe the last one is activation signal to turn on camera.

I haven't fully thought through what I will hook it up to, but something along those lines - some kind of input signal to a computer that I could pull up and view out the back when needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No luck from the ebay sellers, they either don't have the wiring labels or just want to know my van info so they can tell me yes or no the part will work. I did update the wire labels above with some information I found by using a multi-meter, but I still haven't figured out which wire is to activate the camera and which is sending back the signal.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Based on lots of discussions here on the forum:

-the camera video signal is always on
-the van's computer tells the radio when to display the camera
-radio displays video when the van is in reverse OR if you open the back door (or ground the wire going to the back door that triggers the computer to tell the radio to display the camera)

-the video signal is digital, so a composite monitor that would work with most video cameras is not compatible

-others have added a standard video camera to the same housing the van's camera is in, then you can feed it to whatever monitor you want

search for "backup camera" here on the forum for lots of discussions!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks for the information. I did come to the realization yesterday after some more testing that the camera appeared to always be on. I was not aware that is was digital, so will look into what kind of signal is coming off of it and how to tap into it. I will search through the forums for more posts, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts