Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I was in to my dealer today for a leaking shock and a driver’s side mirror wiggle on warrantee which they did well and happily.
I went to see the sales manager to ask if a diesel 2018 was available and if the front facia on 2018’s had changed. He said he was aware of both things and that dealers HAD NOT BEEN GIVEN ANY INFORMATION ON DEISEL AVAILABILITY AND NO INFORMATION WAS AVAILABLE ON THE FRONT END UPDATE, NONE, NADA, NO. today is July 12 and he felt he would hear by August 1. He did know the I-4 3.0 diesel had not had special scrutiny by EPA and would not guess why it’s sale was suspended.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in to my dealer today for a leaking shock and a driver’s side mirror wiggle on warrantee which they did well and happily.
I went to see the sales manager to ask if a diesel 2018 was available and if the front facia on 2018’s had changed. He said he was aware of both things and that dealers HAD NOT BEEN GIVEN ANY INFORMATION ON DEISEL AVAILABILITY AND NO INFORMATION WAS AVAILABLE ON THE FRONT END UPDATE, NONE, NADA, NO. today is July 12 and he felt he would hear by August 1. He did know the I-4 3.0 diesel had not had special scrutiny by EPA and would not guess why it’s sale was suspended.

Diesel was not an option when I placed the order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 2-week change over has me hopeful for a new front end for 2018. I do not buy many new vehicles, is there any precedent for buying a vehicle, but not knowing what it will look like when delivered? Why wouldn't they announce it already? Seems like announcing could only be positive for sales.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
The last production of 2017 was July 7. I just checked and first day production for 2018 PM is July 24. Seems like we will know soon. Any spies from Saltillo MX on the forum? A new front end design or other features might be bad for sales of the vans on dealers lots.

I am going out on a limb here and predicting there will be an updated front end look, it will not be the Euro 2014- look but will be a NA Ram truck look. I cringe to think what they might do considering how ugly the competition already is. A Ram snout!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like RDinNHandAZ says, a new front end design would be a reason to keep it a secret. That's why you see all that ridiculous camouflage when factories road test new exterior designs. But so much of these sales are fleets and I don't think appearance is one of the reasons they pick a vehicle.

On a personal level, if I was buying, If I liked the current van, I'd be willing to buy a 2018 without knowing it what it will look like. It'd be the same and surely can't be worse.

I think the current PM front is the ugliest of the 3 major vans but has there really been that much negative feedback? That the face is a major reason for low sales? Not the FWD design and lower GVWR/tow capacity vs the others? If not, the factories have never changed van exteriors frequently, like once every 10 years or so. Plus you can't see the face from the driver's seat.

Gad, you'd think if they did do a face update, it would be an improvement, cannot even visualize a RAM snout on it:eek:. Good place to install steer horns on it. The major issue with the face I have are the headlights. I'd think a headlight shape/placement change would be too expensive for a interim update for a van.

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Silly Eiko. Why would you put steer horns and not ram horns on a Ram?

For me, and many others, the appearance of the front is a minor consideration. Function is way more important. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe another hint could be from here:
https://www.autossegredos.com.br/ma...ducato-chegara-ao-brasil-importado-do-mexico/

Brazil had their own older-style Ducato, but stopped production. The article says it will be available again but brought from Mexico and be the new style. Camouflaged versions have been seen around Sao Paulo. It's still not clear to me if there is another factory on Mexico that has been making the new style for a while, or if the Mexican Ducatos are imported.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Thanks but that Camo’ed ducato is the same as our current 2014-2017. It is NOT the new Euro Ducato as one can easily see from the SHAPE of the front bumper and lights. If that's a hint then we are not going to get a changed front, but I think we are.
I have not seen that FCA assembles the Ducato/Promaster anywhere else in MX except Saltillo. Perhaps there is extra capacity there. It was a 1.1 billion dollar plant when built in 2010-2013 They do have a stamping plant there too so at some time I expect the body to be stamped in MX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, excellent eye, RD. I think my translation says they are testing the old style, just built Mexico, "Test prototypes still sport the old look" but the text seems pretty clear the new style will be sold there... and sourced from Mexico.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Hey I’m getting sick and tired of your “Dream” being posted over and over. Cut it out our your new van will look like this
:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts