Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody heard any news? will there be a diesel for 2018? if so will it be the same 3.0L 4 ? I think I read on here somewhere that late July is start of new production

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
All I know is one internet site listed the changeover to 2018 as 9 days long. It is usually a weekend- 2 days. I expect it is for the front end refresh. Using the I4 diesel would not require a week unless they went to the V6 3.0 which is in dispute with the EPA for not complying. You are right about the July date, last 2017 production July 17, first 2018 July 24.
https://www.arifleet.com/resources/manufacturing-updates/build-out-start-up-dates/

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
All I know is one internet site listed the changeover to 2018 as 9 days long. It is usually a weekend- 2 days. I expect it is for the front end refresh. Using the I4 diesel would not require a week unless they went to the V6 3.0 which is in dispute with the EPA for not complying. You are right about the July date, last 2017 production July 17, first 2018 July 24.
https://www.arifleet.com/resources/manufacturing-updates/build-out-start-up-dates/
Oh, so the 2018 is getting the front end refresh?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I didn’t say that! I said the changeover is a week longer than in the past so it COULD be the front end! I’ve been wrong before!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I didn’t say that! I said the changeover is a week longer than in the past so it COULD be the front end! I’ve been wrong before!
ah, okay. Just wishful thinking on my part ;) I really like the fiat front end, but I've heard rumors they are going to make changes to make it look more ram like :(

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,242 Posts
Just speculating, but maybe Ram is going to use the EPA episode to end the Promaster diesel, it would make sense from a corporate point of view.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,242 Posts
I came across these sales numbers for Ram Promaster diesel.

These numbers must be what's on the lot and not the year of the vehicle, otherwise this is rubbish.

cy '14 - 0
cy '15 - 252
cy '16 - 397
cy '17 so far - 127

I think I have the numbers correct.

ref: http://www.hybridcars.com/december-2016-dashboard/

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
RUBBISH read my signature and I know of more 2014 diesels.

I came across these sales numbers for Ram Promaster diesel.

These numbers must be what's on the lot and not the year of the vehicle, otherwise this is rubbish.

cy '14 - 0
cy '15 - 252
cy '16 - 397
cy '17 so far - 127

I think I have the numbers correct.

ref: http://www.hybridcars.com/december-2016-dashboard/

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just followed that link to arifleet.com..... I think you misread it, RDinNHandAZ.... 7/17/2017 is the final MY17 production for the PM City, 7/7/2017 is for the ProMaster. So TWO WEEKS of downtime suggests significant changes. I am really hoping for the new front end; it's about time already! And give me the 9-speed automatic with the V6; also, it's about time! About the diesel, I doubt it will be the V6 EcoDiesel; either it's the I4 diesel or nothing for North America. I hope FCA didn't make a VW-like mess of their diesels.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
You expect me to BOTH read and write this crap and do both w/o any errors! I depend on all you to check my work so you get a thank you for helping a DUFUS.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,242 Posts
KilWerBzz,

I should have put n/a for cy 14, their data starts March '15

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,242 Posts
What makes the Promaster "HD" and where does it say it's "HD"?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,242 Posts
Not to belabor the point, not even Ram will classify it as HD.

The only thing that HD is the engine and even that is classified as light heavy duty.

I'm going out on a limb here, but the EPA is concern about emissions and that scale is how they classify engines and vehicles for emission purposes.

DOT says class 2 light truck, under class 2 is 2a and 2b, the van falls under 2b which is light heavy duty, it's still light duty but at the heavier end.

The van is considered a light commercial van.

I believe all the info above is accurate, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This thread was about "will there be a 2018 diesel" and the EPA will pass or fail the diesel on their class chart and they put it in a heavy class. Maybe FCA classed it as heavy duty for epa reasons so the engine would pass standards. I posted this back in feb. I thought it strange to be in the large truck class too.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59737

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I just followed that link to arifleet.com..... I think you misread it, RDinNHandAZ.... 7/17/2017 is the final MY17 production for the PM City, 7/7/2017 is for the ProMaster. So TWO WEEKS of downtime suggests significant changes. I am really hoping for the new front end; it's about time already! And give me the 9-speed automatic with the V6; also, it's about time! About the diesel, I doubt it will be the V6 EcoDiesel; either it's the I4 diesel or nothing for North America. I hope FCA didn't make a VW-like mess of their diesels.

I would also prefer a new front end. The Ducato's front looks better to me but that's not really that important.

A transmission upgrade would make a much bigger difference. The ZF 9 speed is a logical evolution to expect but I'm wondering how they would gear it and or program it so that it's not shifting constantly. I read speculation somewhere that a 6-speed from Japan or Korea manufacturer could replace existing (don't recall details -- didn't take it seriously). To me it doesn't make as much sense they would do that versus use 9-speed (provided it can handle ProMaster's higher GCWR).

Regarding diesel, the volumes reported above are so low I don't know why they would bother offering it at all. But if they make a change, why not go to 2.3-Liter inline 4-cylinder? I'd expect that engine (or similar version in 2-liter size range) instead of V6.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts