Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Promaster with just about 500 km on it. The engine sometimes smells hot even though it has not been driven hard at all, and the temperature gauge is indicating normal operating temperature. Water levels are fine as well. Can anyone confirm if this is normal i.e. do new vans smell hot for the first few hundred kilometers?

Any assistance much appreciated.

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
468 Posts
mine has a funny smell after a hard acceleration while merging or like 2 weeks ago pulling the hills in the Smokey Mountains. I have just over 40,000 on my 2016 gasser. I also notice the floor gets warm in the center under the cup holders I only noticed the floor getting warm when we were going up a very long long long mountain road. I think it has to do with the exhaust getting hot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are many protective coatings that will "burn off" on new vehicles giving all kinds of hot burning smells when that part finally gets hot enough. That being said, do keep an eye on fluids.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did notice this on a few test drives I did. One was new and the others were used. I think two of them were because they changed the engine oil. Probably some oil dripped on something that gets hot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also some of the undercoating apparently can cause a burning smell as overspray burns off. I noticed it mostly in the first 100 miles on my van.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts