Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 ProMaster City last year and really like it. I went looking at its big brothers yesterday and I am considering getting a 1500 high roof. I will be ordering one because none of the ones the dealer had on the lot had the Navigation despite having the GPS antenna and touchscreen radio. They said it cannot be added even if it has the antennas. I wondered why do they even come with a GPS antenna if you cant add Navigation.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Save your money the uConnect GPS is a POS that isn't worth getting. Do yourself a favor and get the radio delete option and put a quality head end unit in and a quality GPS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Save your money the uConnect GPS is a POS that isn't worth getting. Do yourself a favor and get the radio delete option and put a quality head end unit in and a quality GPS.
I have been doing myself a favor for the past year now using the GPS in my ProMaster City, great system.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
If you like the GPS you have I would check to make sure they put the same one in the big PM you're interested in. The TomTom system I saw in a PM when I was buying mine was really poor, but maybe things have changed.

In my Dodge Journey and Charger they use the Garmin GPS system. So last year, I decide to buy a Challenger with GPS.... when I pick it up I discover that Mopar changed vendors and they no longer put Garmin GPS systems in their cars... the new GPS system is a no-name piece of junk! (but I still love the rest of my Challenger!)

I have a $99 Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic and voice command sitting on the dash in my 2014 PM, and it is spectacular. No cost to update maps and free traffic for life. No OEM GPS does that!

·
Registered
371 Posts
The factory navigation in the Promaster 1500 is slow to start when you start the van, will not let you program on the move, takes a long time to recalculate, is missing a number of important roads and there was no update for it last I checked. And if there were an update it would $150.

Add to that is that every once in while it just won't start at all.

I would suggest using your phone navigation or buying a dedicated nav system allowing you to possibly negotiate a better deal by buy one off the lot.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
The factory navigation in the Promaster 1500 is slow to start when you start the van, will not let you program on the move, takes a long time to recalculate, is missing a number of important roads and there was no update for it last I checked. And if there were an update it would $150.

Add to that is that every once in while it just won't start at all.

I would suggest using your phone navigation or buying a dedicated nav system allowing you to possibly negotiate a better deal by buy one off the lot.
100% correct. Unless they have dumped the Tom Tom forget it for all the reasons above!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a $99 Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic and voice command sitting on the dash in my 2014 PM, and it is spectacular. No cost to update maps and free traffic for life. No OEM GPS does that!
Ahem! We love our Garmin. It's portable. Great for rental cars/RVs, too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't have huge experience with GPS, but the Tom Tom that came in my van is OK. I had difficulty learning to use it. Things such as switching states eluded me for a while. I am a old tech luddite, but I can learn. No issues with it now. Its not as good as our old portable Garmin, but beats a generic one we had some years back. On the east coast of the USA from Delaware to Florida, it has worked well for us.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have huge experience with GPS, but the Tom Tom that came in my van is OK. I had difficulty learning to use it. Things such as switching states eluded me for a while. I am a old tech luddite, but I can learn. No issues with it now. Its not as good as our old portable Garmin, but beats a generic one we had some years back. On the east coast of the USA from Delaware to Florida, it has worked well for us.
Thank you for reassuring me what I have already known. I don't think many people really read these posts.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Actually, most people really do read and learn from these posts! The ones that don't are destined to keep repeating their mistakes over and over again.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
.... as I have initially mentioned I like the factory GPS
VP,

Just wondering... have you ever used a Garmin GPS?

A number of years ago, I had a flip phone. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then, I tried a smartphone! I once owned a Mustang. Then, I bought a Corvette!

The cost of a map update on the factory GPS costs more than a Garmin with free map updates and free lifetime traffic.

I understand your position though.... some people like iPhones, even though Android phones are better! >:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VP,

Just wondering... have you ever used a Garmin GPS?

A number of years ago, I had a flip phone. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then, I tried a smartphone! I once owned a Mustang. Then, I bought a Corvette!

The cost of a map update on the factory GPS costs more than a Garmin with free map updates and free lifetime traffic.

I understand your position though.... some people like iPhones, even though Android phones are better! >:D
I have been using a Garmin portable unit in my 2010 Ford Transit Connect. The only thing I like about the Garmin better is that it calls out all the street names and says what side of the road my destination is on. Even with the TomTom not having these 2 points I still really like it. My Garmin cannot turn down my stereo to make an announcement. It is great to have it all integrated into the UConnect 5.0 system.

·
Banned
66 Posts
The factory GPS systems integration into the vehicle is about the only advantage that I see in them. We have one in my wife's Town & Country and the map update cost as much as a standalone GPS. This is my biggest beef with the built systems. You can buy a Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic for less than the updates costs for an integrated system.

I use the TomTom app on my phone and find that it works great for me. It is in between in cost, they get you for the traffic info which was $10 per year when I got the app, but now costs more. I like it for the convenience of not having to carry another device and find the traffic info to worth the cost, at least here in the Chicago area. Also I am usually listening to something streaming from my phone so if I want verbal instructions they will interrupt the music or book I am listening to.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
My Garmin cannot turn down my stereo to make an announcement. It is great to have it all integrated into the UConnect 5.0 system.
I agree, integrated is better! My Journey with the factory Garmin 8.4" screen is amazing.

It's funny, the volume turn down feature drives me crazy! I'm listening to newsradio and miss lots of stuff. On my Journey, I have the voice prompts turned off so it doesn't interrupt.

I remember two guys doing an A-B speaker test in a stereo store many years ago. As they alternated speakers, one would nod "yes", while the other nodded "no"...

De gustibus non est disputandum! :D

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
So, it seems Pete loves his Tom Tom and most everyone else loves their Garmin. Personally the reduced volume feature is one of the very things I hate about the uConnect (as Ed seems to agree) .
Sorta like flying the "friendly skys" or driving - there is a seat for everyone :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, it seems Pete loves his Tom Tom and most everyone else loves their Garmin. Personally the reduced volume feature is one of the very things I hate about the uConnect (as Ed seems to agree) .
Sorta like flying the "friendly skys" or driving - there is a seat for everyone :)
Yes, Pete has a mind of his own.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts