Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched forum but nothing specific came up so here goes.
Im having a remote start / alarm installed, the manager said I could get a valet key when I asked if there was a way I wouldnt have to carry around this bulky factory key fob and just wanted to carry the new remote start transmitter.
He said the valet key is a regular key with an rfid chip in it.

Sounded great, but I just called dealership and was told that since my keyfob is a laser engraved key there is no option for a valet key. He said if he ordered one from factory thats what they would send him.

Any info on this?
Am I stuck with this bulky keyfob?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but that says it's for the promaster. Doesnt mention promaster city.

It also says this, and im not sure what it means but it's moot if it doesnt work for the pmc

"Door Cylinder and Ignition Cylinder are not serviced. If these are needed you must replace complete Lock Kit."

I really hope im not stuck with that huge fob.
Ugghhh!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I ordered a blank valet key and im going to take out the chip from one of my fobs and put it into the blank. The local locksmith can laser cut it so this should work, in theory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Zeppelin, how did the replacement key work out?
I was able to order blanks off eby. Brought to locksmith that can cut those types of keys and had them done. The keys work perfectly, I just havent installed them yet.
What im going to do is take off the cover that covers the ignition cylinder. There should be a plastic ring that is the antenna. I will tape one of my OEM keys into that antenna and then i'll be able to use one of the new keys I had made.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cool! I guess that compromises the immobilizer but then remote start wouldn't need a bypass module!
Next trick would be locking all the doors without the remote. Real annoying feature but keeps you from leaving keys on the seat!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I searched forum but nothing specific came up so here goes.
Im having a remote start / alarm installed, the manager said I could get a valet key when I asked if there was a way I wouldnt have to carry around this bulky factory key fob and just wanted to carry the new remote start transmitter.
He said the valet key is a regular key with an rfid chip in it.

Sounded great, but I just called dealership and was told that since my keyfob is a laser engraved key there is no option for a valet key. He said if he ordered one from factory thats what they would send him.

Any info on this?
Am I stuck with this bulky keyfob?
NO luck with aftermarket remote start. The van is bulky. Alfa Romeo is using a similar fob. I did not see any AR owners replacing any factory equipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts